This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

leave my PC on all the time, or no?

#1KenshiroXPosted 5/24/2014 11:57:03 PM
Just got a new PC, plenty of cooling, etc in it, I'm just wondering if its better to leave it on all the time, or just turn it off when I go to sleep, work, etc. I was told every time you turn on your PC its kinda like a shock to its system, but maybe thats more for older computers?
#2Flame_HazardPosted 5/25/2014 12:02:09 AM
I honestly feel like I need to restart periodically for optimal performance (I shut down whenever I go to bed), but maybe that's just in my head.

Hell, I suppose I'd like to know as well. I know a lot of people run their machines continuously, though I don't really know why.
---
Warning: EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE! Keep away from populated message boards.
#3SavageDonzillaPosted 5/25/2014 12:03:11 AM
I leave mine on all the time. Restart once every 2 weeks unless I install something. Never really had a problem.
---
It's time to add PS4 & Xbox One/Xbone to the banned list on the PC board.
#4PeasantStation4Posted 5/25/2014 12:04:04 AM
Reboot it once a week, shut it off if away for a long time (like a full day or two). If not and you are home every night. Leave on.
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/Substaticman/ourxbox3600026yogn2vx2.jpg
#5Ivany2008Posted 5/25/2014 12:04:14 AM
I run my machine constantly, but it has an hour sleep timer. Haven't had a problem yet.

I only shut her down if I know I'm going out of town for a couple days, which happens maybe once every 6 months
#6HighwayPilotPosted 5/25/2014 2:18:55 AM
Turn it off and save some good money on energy charges every year.

I boot it up at least 2 times a day for years now and never had any problems.
#7VandelayIncPosted 5/25/2014 2:59:25 AM
KenshiroX posted...
I was told every time you turn on your PC its kinda like a shock to its system, but maybe thats more for older computers?

i hope not. can someone clarify, i turn my system off several times a day and always had a feeling its not good to do so. leaving it on gives me the same feeling though :P
#8PeasantStation4Posted 5/25/2014 3:16:14 AM
Negative effects to shutting down a computer is just a myth..
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/Substaticman/ourxbox3600026yogn2vx2.jpg
#9majinbuu58Posted 5/25/2014 3:16:44 AM
VandelayInc posted...
KenshiroX posted...
I was told every time you turn on your PC its kinda like a shock to its system, but maybe thats more for older computers?

i hope not. can someone clarify, i turn my system off several times a day and always had a feeling its not good to do so. leaving it on gives me the same feeling though :P

You won't hurt your system from turning it on and off as long as it's not really frequent. And even then, it's not gonna damage much
---
"realistically, im the most IRL person on this board with the most friends, most girls, and most fun adventures." -P64
#10Ivany2008Posted 5/25/2014 3:32:26 AM
the worst thing you can do however is not have a surge protector. Take it from someone who knows.

I was cleaning my surge protector(it was dusty so I unplugged everything from it) and it slipped my mind to put my pc plug back into the protector and later that night the power went, my computer went from running fine to barely running at all.

just turning your computer on and off isn't that bad when there isn't a surge of power going to the computer itself