This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

leave my PC on all the time, or no?

#21TropicMoon10Posted 5/25/2014 7:08:25 AM
I just use sleep mode. Starts up and turns off instantly.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#22rtkamb1770Posted 5/25/2014 7:11:03 AM
From my understanding, on or off doesn't matter as much anymore. Hard drives used to have this arm thing that when you turned a computer on and off a lot could break, but that has since been changed. Don't really have proof of this, but I still think keeping it on is better for it. Computers are designed to be on and used regularly.
---
"Out of worldwide population of 1,195,596 AMD processors, your processor is more powerful than 1,151,987 others."
#23Killah PriestPosted 5/25/2014 7:12:21 AM
I shut down my PCs every night or if I know I'm going to be away from them for a good amount of time and don't need any remote access.

full shutdowns, no hybrid windows 8 stuff either.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#24CaliberChampPosted 5/25/2014 7:13:59 AM
I turn it off before I go to bed every night to save electricity. Having a lower electric bill is more important to me than some myth and I never had a motherboard problem ever and been doing this for over 10 years. The ones that do believe it... I guess you like paying more for your electric bill... But I don't.
---
Recommended games: Guild Wars 2, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Batman Arkham city
Terrible games: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Diablo 3, Gone Home, EVE Online.
#25Killah PriestPosted 5/25/2014 7:15:39 AM
Having a lower electric bill is more important to me than some myth and I never had a motherboard problem ever and been doing this for over 10 years.

Before my last 2 builds I'd actually turn the computer off EVERY TIME I was done using it. Never hurt anything... I still remember having to PARK your harddrive...
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#26arleasPosted 5/25/2014 7:17:33 AM
I personally shut it down if I'm not going to be doing anything with my computer for more than a few hours. I have a SSD so boot time isn't going to bother me, and I suppose even if I didn't I could set it to hibernate or sleep.

Sleep mode shuts everything down except for about 4W of power to keep the RAM powered up. Hibernate saves everything to the HD and shuts down (faster than a cold boot but slower than sleep mode). The disadvantage to sleep mode is that you're still using some power. The disadvantage to hibernate is that it uses a space on your drive equivalent to the amount of RAM you have (hiberfil.sys) so if HD space is low then you probably wouldn't want to do that.

Leaving it in a fully powered up state is kinda wasteful. If you're going to do that then run Folding@home or something and contribute something with all that idle time. Otherwise, it doesn't hurt your computer to turn it off...or if it does, it would take a decade of shutting it off to run into a problem (unless you're flipping it off and on repeatedly at the switch in the back).
---
http://astats.astats.nl/astats/astats_card_76561197969913402.png
http://i.imgur.com/ByJEpRK.gif
#27CrevoxPosted 5/25/2014 7:24:58 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
Crevox posted...
Leaving it on wastes energy, drives up your electric bill, and wears away at your parts (cpu/etc) when they're not even being used

You got proof that it wears out your parts faster? I believe it might but it'll be such a small difference that it won't even be noticeable.

All parts have a certain amount of life span. Power coursing through them, HDD spinning, etc just wears away at them and reduces their life span.
#28Fade2black001Posted 5/25/2014 7:27:14 AM
Crevox posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
Crevox posted...
Leaving it on wastes energy, drives up your electric bill, and wears away at your parts (cpu/etc) when they're not even being used

You got proof that it wears out your parts faster? I believe it might but it'll be such a small difference that it won't even be noticeable.

All parts have a certain amount of life span. Power coursing through them, HDD spinning, etc just wears away at them and reduces their life span.

I can believe this BUT I also believe that the the decrease in lifespan is so damn small that its not even worth mentioning.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#29KharilllePosted 5/25/2014 7:30:38 AM
I tend to shut mine down. Last thing I want is some hacker using it as a zombie computer... that's unless you want to access stuff at work. Not sure how that works but I've heard people retrieve stuff remotely from their office.

Not sure what the problem is but I thought they were built for start stop cycles. I've heard about how some people recommend shutting them down. I shut off my office computer too.
#30arleasPosted 5/25/2014 7:32:03 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
I can believe this BUT I also believe that the the decrease in lifespan is so damn small that its not even worth mentioning.

Just like the danger of turning the computer off... However, I think that your hard drive has a max lifespan in how many hours it spins, so if you're not at least using the power options to let the hard drive sleep, then that IS reducing your drive's lifespan.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png