This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

leave my PC on all the time, or no?

#31FRo3tBLo0dPosted 5/25/2014 6:33:35 AM(edited)
I turn my computer off every night and back on everyday. Been doing this for about two years and I've had no issues at all.

I had no idea this was a thing but like I said, I've had no issues.
#32fuzzybunny566Posted 5/25/2014 6:37:18 AM
I turn my computer off when I go to work each day or when I'm going to be away from home for several hours. I leave it on at night because I fall asleep listening to my music on it. I leave it on whenever I'm home.
#33ChargrilledPosted 5/25/2014 6:38:19 AM
Mines never off unless a thunderstorm or update/reset
---
GT : DeadJericho/PSN : Focalpoint/WiiU : FocalpointUK
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#34Love_Me_SexyPosted 5/25/2014 6:41:54 AM
Theirs a reason there is a power button.

Do you like wasting energy? If so, leave it on.

Do you like saving on bills? Turn it off when not in use.

People say the heating and then cooling of electronics will make them brittle over time. It's true but will not affect your PC as negatively as you think.

Save energy, be happy when the bills come in.
---
4930k || X79 Deluxe || MSI 760 4GB || 16GB RAM || 240GB SSD || 2x180GB SSD (RAID0) || 4TB SSHD || 1200w PSU
#35MarikhenPosted 5/25/2014 6:42:46 AM
If you can afford the electricity bill and don't mind replacing parts more often go ahead and leave it on. Of course by "replacing parts more often" I mean, "your X might actually wear out by the time it's out-dated."
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#36ganondorf77Posted 5/25/2014 6:49:18 AM
This is not an issue anymore. Since Win8, even in HDDs, less than 10 secs to fully start, and 10 more to run desktop till the end of complete load. I have a 7 year old custom $1000 build, never uploaded any component yet. When I first installed Vista I used to restart every week, and suspend rest of days (because it spent 2 min to load at least), win 7 improved a little on this but not that much. Then, since I use Win8, not necessary to make any distinctions anymore. Even if the PC crashes, that means it will spend more the next start, I never waited more than 25 secs (till end of processing), If you have a sdd, then your question is nonsense.

Of course, for achieving this, you should format and reinstall win (Just the master partition if you have several of them) almost every 2 years, and care about organizing your system (no documents in desktop, setup msconfig, ccleaner every uninstall or twice a year... etc, etc)
#37ZerabpPosted 5/25/2014 6:56:19 AM(edited)
If you can afford the power bill yes, if not no. Basically while leaving it on all the time will slightly (very slightly) reduce it's life span, leaving it on will net you a huge performance increase just from OS loading alone.

Power cycling constantly will also reduce lifespan as well and ups the risk or surges.

If you want to lower your carbon imprint than shut it down or have it enter sleep mode which isn't nearly as bad for the system.

Sleep mode again will still have a decrease in performance for the first few minutes, but not as much as a full power down and restart.
---
XBL Gamertag:SentinelZ PSnetwork ID: SentinelZ
"Bloody wars are easier to survive than idiots with ballots. " Neal Boortz
#38QuetzalmaPosted 5/25/2014 6:59:24 AM
my desktop is always on cuz its old and i just use it as a FTP/SVN server and I only use VNC to access it, nothing else connected on it, it shuts down when power goes down.

my laptop, which i take to univ most days, I always have it on hibernate whenever I move it(home<->univ) and I also hibernate it every night, I only restart every weekend or so
#39EdgeofDarknessPosted 5/25/2014 7:38:19 AM
I don't mind 10 second bootups with my SSDs so I turn it off when at work/at night. Not to mention my config is rather power hungry and hey it saves a bit on the elec bill.
#40GunmaN1905Posted 5/25/2014 7:41:31 AM
I turn it off when I go to sleep or when I go out for more than couple of hours. Literally no reason to keep it running, even in sleep mode.
---
PSN: GunmaN1905