This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which programming languages should I learn for game development and software?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Which programming languages should I learn for game development and software?
2 years ago#1
Programming languages used to make games and software programs for regular computers and smartphones. I'm not interested in web development.
http://i.imgur.com/j74SykU.gif
http://i.imgur.com/BcGVG.gif
2 years ago#2
You learn one proficiently, you can apply that knowledge to all of them.
"TSA lady opened my bag and asked me about my Magic: The Gathering booster packs.
I explained that they're not weapons since I have no land." -Day[9]
2 years ago#3
Java

It's easy. It does everything. Perfect for the casual programmer.
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
2 years ago#4
C++ is absolutely required. Dont know much about it but I heard it's insanely hard to learn
2 years ago#5
Python is the easiest and a good start. Don't just dive into C++ on your own. Go to school.
2 years ago#6
Skip everything and just use GameMaker: Studio.
Nintendo is truly desperate, they're only surviving off nostalgia
2 years ago#7
Love how everyone is suggesting something different XD
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"
2 years ago#8
C++ would be brutally difficult to learn without a class or something. Python is another good choice. I only say Java because Python isn't really intended for general programming (though you can make it work, of course). It's a scripting language.
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
2 years ago#9
Well what do you wish to hear? I own a game dev business...we regularly publish games to phones/tablets and I am hoping to step into the console/steam area within a year-half.

I've jumped around to many languages. C++ is what I started with, moved onto Java, then onto JavaScript, then C#.

This is all up for debate, but, I personally think C++ is the best base. Don't focus on making games/software (not the kind you are thinking about); instead focus on learning the language. Get a book, online, however you need to learn it and start writing code.

I started with a simple console based game. Start slow and get familiar with pools, arrays, all your loops, connecting classes, organization of code, variables, and tons more. I added more and more to it as time went on. I rewrote when I learned new things.

The best part about code is for the most part you can carry it over to other languages. If you have a basic understanding of an array then you can carry that over elsewhere. The syntax is different but most things work the same.
2 years ago#10
Garage_Man posted...
Don't focus on making games/software (not the kind you are thinking about); instead focus on learning the language. Get a book, online, however you need to learn it and start writing code.

I started with a simple console based game. Start slow and get familiar with pools, arrays, all your loops, connecting classes, organization of code, variables, and tons more. I added more and more to it as time went on. I rewrote when I learned new things.

The best part about code is for the most part you can carry it over to other languages. If you have a basic understanding of an array then you can carry that over elsewhere. The syntax is different but most things work the same.

Best advice so far.
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Which programming languages should I learn for game development and software?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived