This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which programming languages should I learn for game development and software?

#1MrMonkhousePosted 5/29/2014 6:21:24 PM
Programming languages used to make games and software programs for regular computers and smartphones. I'm not interested in web development.
---
http://i.imgur.com/j74SykU.gif
http://i.imgur.com/BcGVG.gif
#2MaKhaosPosted 5/29/2014 6:23:02 PM
You learn one proficiently, you can apply that knowledge to all of them.
---
"TSA lady opened my bag and asked me about my Magic: The Gathering booster packs.
I explained that they're not weapons since I have no land." -Day[9]
#3capgamerPosted 5/29/2014 7:04:28 PM
Java

It's easy. It does everything. Perfect for the casual programmer.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#4MackorovPosted 5/29/2014 7:18:12 PM
C++ is absolutely required. Dont know much about it but I heard it's insanely hard to learn
#5InferiorPeasantPosted 5/29/2014 7:19:24 PM
Python is the easiest and a good start. Don't just dive into C++ on your own. Go to school.
#6XianCePosted 5/29/2014 7:21:47 PM
Skip everything and just use GameMaker: Studio.
---
Nintendo is truly desperate, they're only surviving off nostalgia
#7Pal 080Posted 5/29/2014 7:23:45 PM
Love how everyone is suggesting something different XD
---
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"
#8capgamerPosted 5/29/2014 7:27:54 PM
C++ would be brutally difficult to learn without a class or something. Python is another good choice. I only say Java because Python isn't really intended for general programming (though you can make it work, of course). It's a scripting language.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#9Garage_ManPosted 5/29/2014 7:32:17 PM
Well what do you wish to hear? I own a game dev business...we regularly publish games to phones/tablets and I am hoping to step into the console/steam area within a year-half.

I've jumped around to many languages. C++ is what I started with, moved onto Java, then onto JavaScript, then C#.

This is all up for debate, but, I personally think C++ is the best base. Don't focus on making games/software (not the kind you are thinking about); instead focus on learning the language. Get a book, online, however you need to learn it and start writing code.

I started with a simple console based game. Start slow and get familiar with pools, arrays, all your loops, connecting classes, organization of code, variables, and tons more. I added more and more to it as time went on. I rewrote when I learned new things.

The best part about code is for the most part you can carry it over to other languages. If you have a basic understanding of an array then you can carry that over elsewhere. The syntax is different but most things work the same.
#10MadPinoRagePosted 5/29/2014 7:38:07 PM
Garage_Man posted...
Don't focus on making games/software (not the kind you are thinking about); instead focus on learning the language. Get a book, online, however you need to learn it and start writing code.

I started with a simple console based game. Start slow and get familiar with pools, arrays, all your loops, connecting classes, organization of code, variables, and tons more. I added more and more to it as time went on. I rewrote when I learned new things.

The best part about code is for the most part you can carry it over to other languages. If you have a basic understanding of an array then you can carry that over elsewhere. The syntax is different but most things work the same.

Best advice so far.
---
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein