This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which programming languages should I learn for game development and software?

#71Worknofun370Posted 6/5/2014 6:23:46 AM
Darth_Kamcio posted...
I know I might be late to the party, but for people totally new to programming, I suggest the Javascript course at codecademy.com

It presents itself in a very understandable way and checks the code you write. I only have a year of expierience of programming (at university) but even after that time I found it nice, useful and organized.

I recommend this only if you're looking to do some javascript or web development.

Javascript isn't really the greatest language to learn first. Or at a minimum there are clearly better alternatives IMHO.
#72Darth_KamcioPosted 6/5/2014 6:33:52 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
Darth_Kamcio posted...
I know I might be late to the party, but for people totally new to programming, I suggest the Javascript course at codecademy.com

It presents itself in a very understandable way and checks the code you write. I only have a year of expierience of programming (at university) but even after that time I found it nice, useful and organized.

I recommend this only if you're looking to do some javascript or web development.

Javascript isn't really the greatest language to learn first. Or at a minimum there are clearly better alternatives IMHO.

I only mean to take the course as a start. It explains the functions, variables, and other basics pretty neatly. I didn't mean to imply that you should actually learn the language.
It's just similiar enough to C++ that I found it to be a good start.

Also, it's not just about the language, it's about the way they teach there. For beginners it's perfect.
---
I love dragons!
3DS FC: 3625-8721-3670; Dragon safari including Dragonair.
#73SinisterSlayPosted 6/5/2014 6:38:53 AM(edited)
Worknofun370 posted...
Darth_Kamcio posted...

Yeah I wouldn't recommend starting in javascript.
Better to start in a strongly typed language.

My usual recommendation for learning to program is starting in VBA and write some basic word and excel macros.
The idea being is that it's a simple language with intelisense to assist you. It's well documented, it's strongly typed, and its readily available because nearly everyone has office installed.
One you understand variables and logic flow control you can move on to better languages.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#74zerodefectPosted 6/5/2014 6:38:06 AM
It doesn't matter what anyone else posted in this thread. If you want to be a professional game developer (PC or console), then learn C++. Of course, with the mobile market, it's possible to be successful developing on these platforms too.
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU
#75Worknofun370Posted 6/5/2014 6:38:51 AM
Darth_Kamcio posted...
I only mean to take the course as a start. It explains the functions, variables, and other basics pretty neatly. I didn't mean to imply that you should actually learn the language.
It's just similiar enough to C++ that I found it to be a good start.

Also, it's not just about the language, it's about the way they teach there. For beginners it's perfect.

Respectfully, I believe there are better routes to take. That's just my opinion though.