This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you put a graphics card in?

#21pitt12177Posted 6/2/2014 3:23:34 PM
lol
#22Spirit_Godd(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2014 3:32:27 PM
Lvthn posted...
The long black slot at the bottom is the PCI-E slot.

PSU is probably adequate. Replacements are very cheap if you're nervous anyway.

The connector next to the PCI-E slot looks sketchy, what a stupid way to build a mobo.

Also, ya think that prebuilt has enough interior space? I never realized how pointlessly empty they are, not like they need a ton of space for airflow.

I'm actually going to look into PSUs tonight. I'm a bit worried mine might not make the cut. Any cheap suggestions?

Also later tonight I'll try unhooking that connector and rebooting to see what's changed.

Anyways, I ordered the card last night. I'll probably grab a PSU once I get my paycheck later this week. Looking forward to seeing how all of this goes.

The computer is a prebuilt but I didn't purchase it. It was actually an impulse buy that my parents made since our old one died. In a couple of weeks I'll have the money to build my own. Until then, I thought I'd grab a graphics card and attempt to play some games I grabbed on Steam (Metro series for $13 anybody?).

Thanks again for the help guys.
---
GT is Security Shield
#23LvthnPosted 6/2/2014 8:22:00 PM
Spirit_Godd posted...
Lvthn posted...
The long black slot at the bottom is the PCI-E slot.

PSU is probably adequate. Replacements are very cheap if you're nervous anyway.

The connector next to the PCI-E slot looks sketchy, what a stupid way to build a mobo.

Also, ya think that prebuilt has enough interior space? I never realized how pointlessly empty they are, not like they need a ton of space for airflow.

I'm actually going to look into PSUs tonight. I'm a bit worried mine might not make the cut. Any cheap suggestions?

Also later tonight I'll try unhooking that connector and rebooting to see what's changed.

Anyways, I ordered the card last night. I'll probably grab a PSU once I get my paycheck later this week. Looking forward to seeing how all of this goes.

The computer is a prebuilt but I didn't purchase it. It was actually an impulse buy that my parents made since our old one died. In a couple of weeks I'll have the money to build my own. Until then, I thought I'd grab a graphics card and attempt to play some games I grabbed on Steam (Metro series for $13 anybody?).

Thanks again for the help guys.

A couple decent PSUs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148027

Much, much more than you need, but believe it or not it's cheaper than a roughly equivalent quality 350-380w.

There are some really cheap models, like $20-25, that seem to have a lot of decent reviews. I don't recommend that unless you're really, really on a budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093

If you want one that you can carry over to future builds and trust not to damage your parts, this will support you all the way up to having a mid-high end GPU on a nice Haswell of your choice.

What's right for you depends on what you might do in the future. If it were me, I'd get a nice PSU and give thought to carrying that and the GPU over and working on replacing the rest as you can. That Seasonic really would be viable up to a very respectable gaming rig, but even if you don't go that far the bronze cert is worth having if you do want a semi-nice mobo/CPU and will last years.

I wasn't criticizing the prebuilt, I mean it's not nice but it's not mine. Just never realized they could sell them the size of a GameCube and retain 100% function. I wonder why they haven't done that.
#24ArkonBladePosted 6/2/2014 8:33:14 PM
Spirit_Godd posted...
My prebuilt computer has internal graphics and that's a big no-no. So sometime this week I'm ordering a GeForce GTX 750 Ti from Newegg.

Do you just... open the case up and plug it in or what?

Just got to youtube.

Its very simple. should only take you a few minutes to take it out and put the new one in.
---
PC game sales= more games then you could ever dream of owning.
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#25Spirit_Godd(Topic Creator)Posted 6/3/2014 5:48:03 PM
It arrived earlier today. I installed it with little to no troubles and it works now. Tested it with Metro 2033 and Mass Effect 3 and it works great! Soon I'll order the parts needed for the rest of a computer and build my own. For now though this will do.

Thanks for the help!
---
GT is Security Shield
#26JockoPosted 6/3/2014 9:45:47 PM
I love a happy ending :)
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.