This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you put a graphics card in?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How do you put a graphics card in?

User Info: pitt12177

pitt12177
2 years ago#21
lol

User Info: Spirit_Godd

Spirit_Godd
2 years ago#22
Lvthn posted...
The long black slot at the bottom is the PCI-E slot.

PSU is probably adequate. Replacements are very cheap if you're nervous anyway.

The connector next to the PCI-E slot looks sketchy, what a stupid way to build a mobo.

Also, ya think that prebuilt has enough interior space? I never realized how pointlessly empty they are, not like they need a ton of space for airflow.

I'm actually going to look into PSUs tonight. I'm a bit worried mine might not make the cut. Any cheap suggestions?

Also later tonight I'll try unhooking that connector and rebooting to see what's changed.

Anyways, I ordered the card last night. I'll probably grab a PSU once I get my paycheck later this week. Looking forward to seeing how all of this goes.

The computer is a prebuilt but I didn't purchase it. It was actually an impulse buy that my parents made since our old one died. In a couple of weeks I'll have the money to build my own. Until then, I thought I'd grab a graphics card and attempt to play some games I grabbed on Steam (Metro series for $13 anybody?).

Thanks again for the help guys.
GT is Security Shield

User Info: Lvthn

Lvthn
2 years ago#23
Spirit_Godd posted...
Lvthn posted...
The long black slot at the bottom is the PCI-E slot.

PSU is probably adequate. Replacements are very cheap if you're nervous anyway.

The connector next to the PCI-E slot looks sketchy, what a stupid way to build a mobo.

Also, ya think that prebuilt has enough interior space? I never realized how pointlessly empty they are, not like they need a ton of space for airflow.

I'm actually going to look into PSUs tonight. I'm a bit worried mine might not make the cut. Any cheap suggestions?

Also later tonight I'll try unhooking that connector and rebooting to see what's changed.

Anyways, I ordered the card last night. I'll probably grab a PSU once I get my paycheck later this week. Looking forward to seeing how all of this goes.

The computer is a prebuilt but I didn't purchase it. It was actually an impulse buy that my parents made since our old one died. In a couple of weeks I'll have the money to build my own. Until then, I thought I'd grab a graphics card and attempt to play some games I grabbed on Steam (Metro series for $13 anybody?).

Thanks again for the help guys.

A couple decent PSUs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148027

Much, much more than you need, but believe it or not it's cheaper than a roughly equivalent quality 350-380w.

There are some really cheap models, like $20-25, that seem to have a lot of decent reviews. I don't recommend that unless you're really, really on a budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093

If you want one that you can carry over to future builds and trust not to damage your parts, this will support you all the way up to having a mid-high end GPU on a nice Haswell of your choice.

What's right for you depends on what you might do in the future. If it were me, I'd get a nice PSU and give thought to carrying that and the GPU over and working on replacing the rest as you can. That Seasonic really would be viable up to a very respectable gaming rig, but even if you don't go that far the bronze cert is worth having if you do want a semi-nice mobo/CPU and will last years.

I wasn't criticizing the prebuilt, I mean it's not nice but it's not mine. Just never realized they could sell them the size of a GameCube and retain 100% function. I wonder why they haven't done that.

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
2 years ago#24
Spirit_Godd posted...
My prebuilt computer has internal graphics and that's a big no-no. So sometime this week I'm ordering a GeForce GTX 750 Ti from Newegg.

Do you just... open the case up and plug it in or what?

Just got to youtube.

Its very simple. should only take you a few minutes to take it out and put the new one in.
PC game sales= more games then you could ever dream of owning.
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: Spirit_Godd

Spirit_Godd
2 years ago#25
It arrived earlier today. I installed it with little to no troubles and it works now. Tested it with Metro 2033 and Mass Effect 3 and it works great! Soon I'll order the parts needed for the rest of a computer and build my own. For now though this will do.

Thanks for the help!
GT is Security Shield

User Info: Jocko

Jocko
2 years ago#26
I love a happy ending :)
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How do you put a graphics card in?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived