This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there any way to help cure an Apple victim?

#1AmandaKimmelPosted 5/30/2014 10:05:24 PM
My parents have both been completely victimized by Apple, suffering from Stockholm Syndrome as that one research study indicated.

The problem is that they're so far gone that they're to the point of trying to brainwash me, too, when I absolutely refuse to succumb to paying extensive amounts for worse products. Seriously, it's ridiculous, and they don't see that. You can buy three PCs for the price of a single Macbook... and the PCs are better!

Point in question is that my dad is going to buy an Apple TV so he "doesn't need to think" and can just streamline things from his Macbook and iPhone and my mom's iPad to the thing, despite my Windows PC, Android phone, and (eventually) a Nexus tablet that'll mostly be used for drawing being unable to connect. I suggested a Roku - it's better, multiplatform, has more features, and is less brainwashed, but my dad told me to buy one for myself and/or start buying Apple's glossy s*** because that's all he cares about. I... let's not go into what I said.

There was also the issue with our wireless printer and I was told to set it up and write instructions for how to set it up and print and whatnot. I told them that I was going to do it for a Windows platform, because 1) that's what I use and 2) that's all I know, and I got yelled at. I was made into the bad guy because of this and told to come up with instructions for a system I don't know/use. I naturally didn't and let my dad forget about it even though I got the printer working for me.

The point is that they're so obsessed with this awful company that overcharges for garbage and always refuse to listen to me when I offer advice. Every time I recommend a cheaper product that does its job equal or better than the Apple crap and get shot down because it's not Apple. And now I'm the bad guy for trying to be nice and offering my help for certain platforms (basically being tech support instead of them wasting money on "Apple Care" and don't get me started on their hypocrisy about that versus extended warranties). It's annoying me, and it's getting worse that they're trying to force this conversion upon me like it's a religion.

I want to help them. I want to crack their thick skulls and make them realize that they're victims of an evil corporation trying to sucker as much money from them as possible - hence the outrageous prices for poor products and the "Apple Care" BS. Is there any way to cure their Stockholm Syndrome and help them see the light? Or are they a hopeless cause?

P.S. I want to move out, but sadly the circumstances have prevented me from being able to do so for quite some time now. I'd rather not talk about it.
---
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5328/goddesssig2.png
#2Two_DeePosted 5/30/2014 10:06:33 PM
I like Macbooks for their build quality.
---
I send a heart to all my dearies
When your life is so, so dreary, dream
#3Lemur_HPosted 5/30/2014 10:07:31 PM
You can't fix stupid.

My parents thought an early 2000s Mac was better and more valuable than any other PC they've had. It was garbage.

The ignorant have been brainwashed into believing everything Apple or Apple fanboys say. Can't be helped. Doesn't really matter. We'll all be in the ground soon enough. :)
#4Majoras_pantsPosted 5/30/2014 10:08:07 PM
Yeah, no. Macbooks are great laptops, even for their cost. They're not going to beat a self built desktop, but that serves a completely different purpose.

Blind apple hate is ridiculous. They have some damn good products. Sure, top Android ibrands are better than iPhones, but iPhones are still good. Sure you can beat an apple desktop with a machine you built yourself. But Macbooks are great. Extremely well built, premium products.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#5jedinatPosted 5/30/2014 10:08:39 PM
You didn't raise your parents right. Mine have always known I know more about anything tech related than they do.
#6strongo9Posted 5/30/2014 10:09:15 PM
It's hard to lead sheep astray once they're already set on the rocky path. It's unfortunate, I know.
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce GT 540m
#7ClouddxPosted 5/30/2014 10:13:25 PM(edited)
I think you're taking this a little too personally. I don't think your parents think you are a bad guy for offering an alternative to Apple products; they just enjoy Apple products.

You're not going to change their minds. Trust me I have a friend who works at Apple, and he swears by them. He'll never buy a PC, he'll never let me build him one, and he'll never use windows not even on his Mac(Desktop).

Just throw your arms up and say "I give up, do w/e you want."
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#8AmandaKimmel(Topic Creator)Posted 5/30/2014 10:18:13 PM
I've tried so much over the years but listening has never been their strong suit. They're control freaks, both of them.

The thing is... I've rooted three Android phones and unrooted one of them to send back due to an SD card slot defect. I've built a desktop of my own before, taken apart my laptop to clean and put it back together, and have cleaned house of junk apps on all kinds of platforms. I've made it clear that I know the tech stuff. They don't, so that's probably why they settle for their crap that "just works" - it was never said that all they do is "work."

I wish there was a way that I could get the message across that if they want my help for free, they need to use the products I've studied and worked with. Hmm, maybe I should surprise my dad with a Galaxy S4 as his birthday gift... he won't know that it's last year's model. And he may actually like it like I've always insisted.

Back in the day... when my dad decided to switch to AT&T to get us all iPhones:
"Why not go to Verizon and get a Droid? It's like an iPhone, but better."
"How's it better?"
"Open source. It can do all kinds of things. Plus, Verizon > AT&T."

He didn't get it, so we went to AT&T and got iPhones, although I got a Galaxy S1. Two months later, Verizon gets iPhones and my parents look slightly stupid. But now they're totally brainwashed...

No way to cure 'em... :/
---
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6412/6ejamf.png
#9jedinatPosted 5/30/2014 10:23:28 PM
I would love to have an ipad, but they cost too much. Macbooks and such though... bleh. Useless to me.
#10cody4783Posted 5/30/2014 10:24:13 PM
Silver bullets.

Or was that werewolves? I can never remember.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg