This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there any way to help cure an Apple victim?

#21BlueCrystalTear(Topic Creator)Posted 5/30/2014 10:39:58 PM
jedinat posted...
No, I meant out of pocket. No contract.

My LG Optimus F3 on Virgin Mobile, for example. I pay $35 a month, no contract, and got my phone for $75.

Dragnfyr posted...
You seem to have been brainwashed completely the other way if you think that every Apple product has an equivalent that is significantly cheaper.

Because... there are? I'm not brainwashed into throwing money for an "experience" that doesn't fit me at all.

And I'm not a fanboy. I just despise a certain company.
---
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/6043/34gakoh.png
#22jedinatPosted 5/30/2014 10:44:11 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
Yes you could, but if you want to posit one as a replacement for the other it had best be a drop in replacement.

Seems kind of dense to me.

Orestes417 posted...
And android is a damn mess with all the vendor customized crap. iOS has the distinct advanage of consistency and polish. This coming from a guy who has been part of the open source ecosystem longer than some posters have been alive.

My Moto G is pretty much stock android.
#23FallowHorizonPosted 5/30/2014 10:42:13 PM
Rest of the first post aside, Apple Care is totally worth it imo. I've seen near-total unit replacements under Apple Care. If you're going to shell out the $$$ for a Mac, it's worth gettting.
---
Abandoning our oath to the sword, another victim lost to the leaf.
I think I'll stay for a while. Lotus leaves, taste so, so sweet.
#24Orestes417Posted 5/30/2014 10:43:12 PM
Here's your problem. The experience doesn't fit you and that's fine. What's not fine is whining like a little ***** about other people choosing an experience that does suit them. Its not your place to presume to tell people how "brainwashed" you think they are.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#25BlueCrystalTear(Topic Creator)Posted 5/30/2014 10:44:57 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Here's your problem. The experience doesn't fit you and that's fine. What's not fine is whining like a little ***** about other people choosing an experience that does suit them. Its not your place to presume to tell people how "brainwashed" you think they are.

I'm not whining. What I'm doing is asking for advice to help my parents because they're trying to force their s*** on me and trying to make me be their tech support when they refuse to listen to a word of advice I give them. It's hypocritical and it annoys the piss out of me.
---
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5328/goddesssig2.png
#26Orestes417Posted 5/30/2014 10:47:04 PM
Learn to say no and make it stick.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#27RavenoussdPosted 5/30/2014 10:47:14 PM
apples don't kill people...unless they had like some poison on them...and like you had an allergic reaction along with the poison

but i love me some apples
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzc86ifgf-0
EXPLOSIONS?
#28Neo VejiitaPosted 5/30/2014 11:18:23 PM
It sounds like you are the badguy here. If you are truly a technical guy you should have just googled how to set up the printer and set it up for them instead of refusing to help them. As far as the media streamer is concerned, you sound like you have your own money to spend, so if you really want a roku for yourself to use why not just pony up for one. They aren't too expensive.
---
Pokemon Black
Tokiya FC: 0862 2942 5169
#29CammyApplePosted 5/30/2014 11:19:13 PM
AmandaKimmel posted...
Orestes417 posted...

I'm not whining. What I'm doing is asking for advice to help my parents because they're trying to force their s*** on me and trying to make me be their tech support when they refuse to listen to a word of advice I give them. It's hypocritical and it annoys the piss out of me.

Are you a grown up? Serious question.

If you dislike their choices, make your own. Don't use their Apple TV. Get your own Roku. I'll assume you at the very least have a room of your own. In which case you can use your own things.

What suits them best doesn't suit you best. But, and I hate to say it, it's their home. If they want to remove all the doors and pain the walls pink that's also their choice. It may not be the best choice but it's theirs to make in the situation.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
Go hardcore with glitter on the floor.
#30DragnfyrPosted 5/31/2014 9:19:29 AM(edited)
jedinat posted...
Dragnfyr posted...
So I think you really need to step back and consider whether your irrational hate of Apple products is warranted. Maybe you don't need or want the features of Apple products but if you think you can get an objectively near-equivalent product for much less then you haven't thought about it hard enough.

Ehh... You can get a much cheaper android tablet for what you pay for the ipad mini. And you can get a great android phone with a larger screen than any iphone for <$200.

Larger screen doesn't mean better. You gottas compare flagship to flagship (eg. Samsung GS5 and HTC One M8 to the iPhone 5S). Honestly, the only fairly good phone that is is actually significantly cheaper than the iPhone is the Nexus 5 but that also blows pretty much every other Android phone out of the water as well but you never hear people complaining that Samsung or HTC phones are overpriced.

Also on contract most flagship phones here in Canada are all under $200 for the base models so there's really not that much room for there to be a significant price difference anyways. Also here in Canada it's generally better to get a phone on contract because the off-contract plan prices are almost exactly the same if you want a decent amount of data.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs