This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there any way to help cure an Apple victim?

#71JKatarnPosted 5/31/2014 11:42:56 AM
If your parents want Apple devices, that's their prerogative, it is their money after all. While I do think Apple products are a bit pricey, they tend to have great build quality and the software is reliable. Perhaps they're not "brainwashed" as you claim, but simply like Apple products better/they meet their needs better. Most people don't enjoy troubleshooting device interconnections etc.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#72LvthnPosted 5/31/2014 11:46:21 AM
CammyApple posted...
Lvthn posted...
GunmaN1905 posted...
And love_me_sexy confirmed stereotypical american when it comes to cars.

A stereotypical American wouldn't have cited a 600HP Camaro without really telling a story about that car. I mean really man, what the holy hell did you do to it?

Or mentioned a Bentley, for that matter.

But really, how is Apple is somehow the Bentley of electronics? More like the Prius - overpriced and sluggish but comes with a license for the owner to be a smug evangelist and ask everyone they meet when they plan to "upgrade" to the same.

Which is somehow different from the tech-atheist making snarky comments about all the other brands and options but seeing no fault in their choice?

There's no dogma here. The day Apple offers a superior version of a product I want at a better price than competition, I'll buy it without hesitation.

I actually have an iPhone 5 issued to me by my employer. Obviously I am not paying for it, and I wouldn't, I had two Android phones also issued by work, and literally the only upside I've found to having the iPhone is that I had access to iFruit for GTA5. Everything else about it has been a pain in the ass, especially the lack of data while making a call.
#73CammyApplePosted 5/31/2014 11:51:24 AM
Lvthn posted...
CammyApple posted...
Lvthn posted...
GunmaN1905 posted...
And love_me_sexy confirmed stereotypical american when it comes to cars.

A stereotypical American wouldn't have cited a 600HP Camaro without really telling a story about that car. I mean really man, what the holy hell did you do to it?

Or mentioned a Bentley, for that matter.

But really, how is Apple is somehow the Bentley of electronics? More like the Prius - overpriced and sluggish but comes with a license for the owner to be a smug evangelist and ask everyone they meet when they plan to "upgrade" to the same.

Which is somehow different from the tech-atheist making snarky comments about all the other brands and options but seeing no fault in their choice?

There's no dogma here. The day Apple offers a superior version of a product I want at a better price than competition, I'll buy it without hesitation.

I actually have an iPhone 5 issued to me by my employer. Obviously I am not paying for it, and I wouldn't, I had two Android phones also issued by work, and literally the only upside I've found to having the iPhone is that I had access to iFruit for GTA5. Everything else about it has been a pain in the ass, especially the lack of data while making a call.

The lack of data while making a call sounds like a carrier issue. But it could be a limitation on the device. I only say as such because I have watched my friend use the internet on his iPhone while having a call on speakerphone at the same time.

Every device isn't for every person. But to say only Apple owners do certain things is just silly. For every "When are you getting an iPhone" person out there there is also a "Why don't you just get a droid and root it" fellow.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
Go hardcore with glitter on the floor.
#74ShubPosted 5/31/2014 11:54:10 AM
CammyApple posted...
The lack of data while making a call sounds like a carrier issue. But it could be a limitation on the device.

It's a bit of both actually. It's a limitation of CDMA networks such as Verizon that Apple could have circumvented by adding an antenna to their phone, but they chose not to. GSM networks don't have that issue.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#75CammyApplePosted 5/31/2014 11:57:02 AM
Shub posted...
CammyApple posted...
The lack of data while making a call sounds like a carrier issue. But it could be a limitation on the device.

It's a bit of both actually. It's a limitation of CDMA networks such as Verizon that Apple could have circumvented by adding an antenna to their phone, but they chose not to. GSM networks don't have that issue.

Good to know.

Being on Sprint I've never looked deeper into it as we don't get coverage anywhere so it's a moot point for me. (Hyperbole of course. We get coverage most places except our home.)
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
Go hardcore with glitter on the floor.
#76GunmaN1905Posted 5/31/2014 11:59:22 AM
@cammyapple
Yea, gaming on linux is real fun these days, like 10% games are supported only. Therefore windows is a must have for gamers, unfortunately.

@Orestes417
But he said he doesn't care about performance, why should he put the specs there then?
---
PSN: GunmaN1905
#77GunmaN1905Posted 5/31/2014 11:59:23 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#78JKatarnPosted 5/31/2014 11:59:59 AM
GunmaN1905 posted...
There's just one thing I don't get:
There are a lot of overpriced brands, for example razer is extremely popular amongst gamers, even if it's products are known to be prone to hardware/software malfunctions, but you can still see why would someone get it since it's still kinda good.
Or those overpriced clothes which I'm not really into, but I insta-faceplam whenever someone says something like "I bought 200$ boots". Yea, those are overpriced, but they're still probably good quality.

While apple products, especially iPhone's are utterly terrible. You can buy an android phone that you can customize in infinite ways for like 30% of the price and it also has 50% better performance than best iphone. I won't even mention how bad hardware quality of iphones is. It doesn't even look nice and it's even thicker than most other phones.

Or all those iCraps you have like pads and other bull. What's their purpose? Inferior to literally every other product in their category.

I personally don't have any friends that use apple products, but if I did I'd try to get rid of them. Not because I'm some apple's anti-fanboy, but because buying apple product indicates your level of intelligence.

It may surprise you to learn that most people (that is people in the real world, separate from handfuls of enthusiasts on boards like this) like their technology to "just work" and be fairly reliable. They don't enjoy troubleshooting/tweaking technology, which is why they love apple. I'm not a fan of Apple's pricing or some of their corporate policies, but they offer a slick, reliable package with a consistent interface and clearly there's a market for their devices as people buy them left and right.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
#79JKatarnPosted 5/31/2014 12:04:38 PM
KamenRiderBlade posted...
Stand up for yourself and tell them they are flat out wrong.

If they want help with tech, either side with you, or they are on their own.

Or TC could, you know, not act so brattish and do a little Google research and learn how to work with Mac products because they are his/her parents after all.
---
#80Orestes417Posted 5/31/2014 12:06:49 PM
GunmaN1905 posted...
@cammyapple
Yea, gaming on linux is real fun these days, like 10% games are supported only. Therefore windows is a must have for gamers, unfortunately.

@Orestes417
But he said he doesn't care about performance, why should he put the specs there then?

Did you even read a ****ing word I said? The specs are diagnostically useful on a tech support board.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.