This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there any way to help cure an Apple victim?

#81macmahon187Posted 5/31/2014 1:10:46 PM
What gets me is that most people are using them for very mundane things like browsing and music. The price they are paying doesn't justify the needs. My biggest grievance with Apple is their proprietary b.s. and closed platform policies.
---
Brought to you by GameFlux
Free GameFAQs app on Google Play!
#82GunmaN1905Posted 5/31/2014 1:13:43 PM
Orestes417 posted...
GunmaN1905 posted...
@cammyapple
Yea, gaming on linux is real fun these days, like 10% games are supported only. Therefore windows is a must have for gamers, unfortunately.

@Orestes417
But he said he doesn't care about performance, why should he put the specs there then?

Did you even read a ****ing word I said? The specs are diagnostically useful on a tech support board.

What for exactly except for waving your e-pen, something that people over here like to do?
I mean you can just post them if someone asks, or it makes them think people will respect their opinion more if there's an expensive build posted in their sig. "Look I have 16gigs of ram, I know what I'm doing."
---
PSN: GunmaN1905
#83MaxCHEATER64Posted 5/31/2014 1:20:33 PM
Macbook pro with linux installed isn't that bad
---
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003
#84LvthnPosted 5/31/2014 1:53:43 PM(edited)
CammyApple posted...
The lack of data while making a call sounds like a carrier issue. But it could be a limitation on the device. I only say as such because I have watched my friend use the internet on his iPhone while having a call on speakerphone at the same time.

The reasons were already explained, but you can use the browser while making a call so long as you have a wifi connection. That does me no good at all when I'm in the field and need to discuss information on a company website over the phone, while referring to that site repeatedly. I end up writing down information with a pen to refer to it, which is kinda ridiculous when a smartphone is meant to be a replacement for that. Both Android phones (a Samsung and an HTC) could surf while talking, no problem, and didn't have any obtrusive antenna to justify Apple leaving it out.

Now, I will grant that this aggravates me more than most people due to my job, but then consider that we replaced year old Androids with this, at a cost of well over $10,000 for the office, solely because the boss is an Apple fanatic (not an exaggeration, he will actually b***h at you about your PERSONAL phone not being an Apple so it can also get company updates, for which he only uses Apple proprietary software, naturally).

That's such a fundamental flaw in something that's meant to be a unified device that I can't believe people aren't revolted by it.

But no, I cannot agree with you that Android is all the same. I'm gonna guess that, between the fact that I see a couple dozen customers a day, and use my phone to get signatures and conduct all business, my phone gets commented on by total strangers many times more often than your average guy. I have never met even one single person who advised me to switch from Apple to Android, or who cared one single iota what phone I had unless it pertains to being or not being an Apple.

That's really my problem. I actually lose productivity due to the evangalism of Apple fans. I have strangers try to discuss my personal choice of electronics (which thankfully I can shut down by saying it's not mine), and never once has it involved any other brand. If they like it that's great, buy one, but the stereotype isn't entirely unfounded.

If you saw what I said about my father in law - have you ever seen someone do something like that over Samsung, or Asus, or anything? It's one of the most wtf phenomena I've ever seen, and it's not like it's just one crazy dude doing this kind of thing.

I don't do brand loyalty. If Apple makes something I want, I will buy it. I would probably buy an iPod if I actually liked music.
#85alsroboshackPosted 5/31/2014 2:10:39 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#86PhilOnDezPosted 5/31/2014 2:43:59 PM(edited)
GunmaN1905 posted...
As for benchmarks I can't find any except for ones where they compare stock androids to iphones.
http://www.sammobile.com/2012/09/22/the-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-crushes-the-iphone-5-in-benchmarks/
There is example of stock s3 crushing iphone5.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/16/y5eteheh.jpg

I'm going to ignore the fact that that's clearly a Samsung focused/biased website and point out that the S3 is less than 10% faster when you have all 4 threads completely maxed out in what I'm assuming is the only test they could come up with where it actually beat the iPhone 5. Also, using their own numbers, the A6 is 250% as fast clock for clock as the S3's CPU. That's just downright pathetic, people think AMD is behind intel but at least they're close enough to each have their own strengths and weaknesses, Apple's CPU designs just destroy everything. Why would you take 10% faster in a situation that will literally never pop up over 200% (adjusted for clock speed) performance in everything? How many phone apps are well threaded enough to actually take advantage of a quad core? If apple wanted to make a quad core CPU that would destroy batteries and put it in a phone they could do it. They don't because there's no point to it.

As for using custom roms, there's nothing stopping you from Jailbreaking an iPhone. I've done it, it takes like 5 minutes. I played around with it for a few weeks before just going back to vanilla because it offered me literally no features I actually wanted.

(btw, don't post me that bullcrap benchmark of broswers where iphone5s wins)

You mean the iPhone 5s excels at one of the most commonly used features of any smartphone and you want to just toss it out because it shows them in a good light? Just lol.

E: Just to add to the 'talk and surf' discussion, I can on my 4S with AT&T as my carrier.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#87CammyApplePosted 5/31/2014 2:52:40 PM
GunmaN1905 posted...
@cammyapple
Yea, gaming on linux is real fun these days, like 10% games are supported only. Therefore windows is a must have for gamers, unfortunately.

@Orestes417
But he said he doesn't care about performance, why should he put the specs there then?

That's sort of my point. You "hate" Windows. But since you "need" it for something you still use it. When the fact is you don't "need" to play games and as such you don't "need" Windows.

It's just an example and an observation. Similar things happen all the time. People say they "hate" certain stores yet they continue to shop there and post the "horror" stories that follow. People hate certain bands yet know enough about them to be able to engage in every dialogue that pops up about them.

I guess in your case it's more a matter of which is stronger, your want to game or your dislike of Windows.

As for the topic at hand. I've found anti-Apple people to be at least as annoying (usually more so) as the pro-Apple crowd.

It's sort of like a console "war". Everybody involved just looks silly.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
Go hardcore with glitter on the floor.
#88hitokiri13Posted 5/31/2014 4:42:14 PM(edited)
ITT: People are just blind on both sides. I just buy it and if I like it then I stay with it. People are defending there brand is a fanboy will always be no matter how good product is or not.

I'm sorry but I been to this brand loyal. In reality they don't give a **** about you. Your not special and they don't read your post in Gamefaqs then give a reward for highest loyalty.

Brand electronics is like one of a thousands of ways of splitting of the United States. Not saying everyone lives in the U.S. If you come here you will see same thing in the malls.
---
Originally Posted by Manicdan
using a OCed quad for torrenting is like robbing your local video store with a rocket launcher.
#89CELTEKKPosted 5/31/2014 4:53:05 PM
sorry, but having experience with Roku and AppleTV, AppleTV is leagues and leagues beyond Roku.
---
steam:celtekk|origin:celtekk
"Get dungeons." - WyzeGye, 2014
#90JKatarnPosted 5/31/2014 4:58:55 PM
hitokiri13 posted...
ITT: People are just blind on both sides. I just buy it and if I like it then I stay with it. People are defending there brand is a fanboy will always be no matter how good product is or not.

I'm sorry but I been to this brand loyal. In reality they don't give a **** about you. Your not special and they don't read your post in Gamefaqs then give a reward for highest loyalty.

Brand electronics is like one of a thousands of ways of splitting of the United States. Not saying everyone lives in the U.S. If you come here you will see same thing in the malls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribalism
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES