This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best budget processor for recording and encoding?

#1TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 6/1/2014 11:05:25 AM
My mother can't live without her TV and she's starting to get into streaming and stuff but she likes recording things and watching them later.

I'm trying to help her build a system that will encode videos in what she calls "a reasonable amount of time". These videos range from 30 minutes to 2 hours. They'll be encoded to make them smaller to be streamed through Plex and easy viewable on multiple devices (looking for formats like .mp4).

So what processor should I look to put in this? AMD FX 8-core? Haswell i5? Would something even less work?
---
Steam: Sydite
#2WolfandsteinPosted 6/2/2014 8:19:37 AM
For rendering/encoding, more cores are required. So FX 8230.
#3smelly_boobPosted 6/2/2014 8:28:07 AM
i5 or amd will both do this well... the amd line is slightly cheaper... a fx 6300 can be had for around 100 and can usually be overclocked easily with a decent board and air cooler
#4the_master_123Posted 6/2/2014 8:43:13 AM(edited)
The fx cpu would be faster as long it a cpu only encoding but it doesn't have on cpu graphic card if i remember. this would mean having to get one if the motherboard don't have one. The i5 would have on cpu graphic card and support quick sync that could accelerate encoding if the software she use it support it. i don't recall any of the amd fx cpu having on cpu graphic card.