This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Watch Dogs + No typing/chat = OMG.

#1EpicKingdom_Posted 6/1/2014 4:31:51 PM
Do you enjoy online voice chat in games? - Results (179 votes)
Yes.
22.35% (40 votes)
No, I hate having to hear people I don't know.
31.84% (57 votes)
Depends, if I know the person sure, if it's just some random online, no.
45.81% (82 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I have NEVER used a headset before, I don't want to talk to you or hear from you. I can easily "LOL" by reading your typed messages. In the past few online matches (In Watch Dogs) I've come across a non-stop screaming kid who wasn't even speaking English. Then another kid who was speaking English but had a screechy sounding voice talking to dad/mom/sibling idk.

I hate you headset skype yolo people. Let me play WoW in peace. <- Whoa, where did that one come from.
---
http://i.imgur.com/70oZMEb.png
#2jake-sfPosted 6/1/2014 4:37:47 PM(edited)
I'm anti voice chat.

I'm also quite anti-social in general, since I just don't like strangers (and I actually don't like guys in general).

I'm fine with typing but when I start hearing people, it just annoys me, and there's a thousand reasons why.

Its quite a farce that some games don't even come with typing chat anymore.

Can you turn it off at least in Watch Dogs? I remember playing SF4 and not being able to communicate with anyone. I mean, what the hell can't of stupidly backward crap is this?

If I wanted to speak with people I'd go outside. In online games, I only really use people to give myself interesting opponents or allies that can do things AIs can't. They will never be my friends, and that means I'll only chat, and even then only vaguely.

So **** voice chat and people getting annoying, talking about random crap, or trying to befriend me. Or screaming kids, of course, but I've had voice chats off for so long, no matter where I go.

Of course, voice chat is fine with RL friends, but even that I dislike the experience. Thats why I don't really do it either, lets do a LAN party or just get together to play games, sure. Lets not just sit in front of a computer miles away from each other speaking to a screen. It just feels wrong.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#3cody4783Posted 6/1/2014 4:44:36 PM(edited)
Can't stand VOIP in most games with randoms. I usually have it turned off because it's rarely useful and usually leads to either the 8 year old kids getting yelled out by their mother in the other room, or some idiot who leaves his mic on and is flooding my speakers with his game audio and assorted background noise.

If I want to talk to someone, it's usually someone I know, and I can just as easily open up Skype and get a direct line with far better call quality.

Also just to make a random point: I also pretty much exclusively prefer open or adaptive mic (Muted until a certain threshold is reached) when I'm using voice chat, which again is usually with friends I know.

I seriously can not stand having to hold down a button in the middle of the action to try and talk as needed---And at the same time, open mic with pubs is stupid because it massively amplifies the above problems. (BF4 for example: I'll stop and type a reply when it's safe rather than try to fight and hold Alt at the same time). So that's part of my reasoning for disliking in-game VOIP.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#4TimePharaohPosted 6/1/2014 4:37:27 PM
jake-sf posted...
If I wanted to speak with people I'd go outside.

No you wouldn't.
#5Flame_HazardPosted 6/1/2014 4:38:58 PM
I voted yes, though I hate speaking. I don't mind hearing other players though, regardless of what they're saying up until the point that they're cursing every half second to belittle someone on the team. That said, I voice chat rather rarely, so this might be a common thing. My opinion might be different with higher frequency of use.
---
Warning: EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE! Keep away from populated message boards.
#6SleepComaPosted 6/1/2014 4:45:01 PM
jake-sf posted...
I'm anti voice chat.

I'm also quite anti-social in general, since I just don't like strangers (and I actually don't like guys in general).

I'm fine with typing but when I start hearing people, it just annoys me, and there's a thousand reasons why.

Its quite a farce that some games don't even come with typing chat anymore.

Can you turn it off at least in Watch Dogs? I remember playing SF4 and not being able to communicate with anyone. I mean, what the hell can't of stupidly backward crap is this?

If I wanted to speak with people I'd go outside. In online games, I only really use people to give myself interesting opponents or allies that can do things AIs can't. They will never be my friends, and that means I'll only chat, and even then only vaguely.

So **** voice chat and people getting annoying, talking about random crap, or trying to befriend me. Or screaming kids, of course, but I've had voice chats off for so long, no matter where I go.

Of course, voice chat is fine with RL friends, but even that I dislike the experience. Thats why I don't really do it either, lets do a LAN party or just get together to play games, sure. Lets not just sit in front of a computer miles away from each other speaking to a screen. It just feels wrong.

Hello is this me from another world.
---
i7-4770k@stock | GA-Z87X-UD5H | EVGA 780Ti | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Seagate 600 SSD 240 GB | WDC Black 1 + 2 TB HDD | HAF 932 Advanced | NH-D14 | Capstone 650w
#7Silent Sniper IVPosted 6/1/2014 5:05:36 PM
If I'm playing with anyone in a competitive or progression (in the example of wow that you used) sort of capacity, mic is pretty mandatory. If I don't need to coordinate in any way, I don't care.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#8Orestes417Posted 6/1/2014 5:09:57 PM(edited)
First thing I turn off in any game is pub voice chat, except for ARMA which is a special case. Even when I was raiding fairly hardcore I often wished people would stop chattering about things that should be sub obvious so I could focus on the actually relevant info.

Oh, and anyone who doesn't use PTT can GTFO. One particularly memorable time a guy wouldn't shut up about how high he was and I ended up (after warning the others) setting off the auditory equivalent of a flash bang over the comms. Suffice it to say, he learned not to prattle very quickly.

---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#9ATARIJAWAPosted 6/1/2014 5:08:59 PM
i dont mind voice chat if its push to talk. if its just sound activated, like it is here, its terrible. Tried a couple of online races and it was just people with loud music or loud droning noises. Super distracting.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 117
#10Silent Sniper IVPosted 6/1/2014 5:21:20 PM(edited)
People should have switched to PTT and never looked back circa 1999 as soon as it was added to the popular voice clients. Listening to people mouthbreath is the worst and I've never seen people not called out for it.

Maybe I'm lucky in that the guilds I always seem attracted to keep mostly to the fights and don't spend hours talking about what they had for breakfast or how high they are. Idiots in voice chat is a prime reason for me to bail on a group. I joined a friends guild for GW2 once and after listening to them spout memes and make waffle jokes for 30 minutes, I bailed.

I usually end up getting to know people and having good conversations while we're doing brainless easy content, but it's never the kind of inane and banal stuff most people seem to get stuck hearing. I just don't have the tolerance for that crap anymore. Whenever I form a guild my basic rules are no one under 21, no dumb meme spouting all day long, no racism/biggotry/gendered speech/harassment, etc.

I hate dealing with most gamers and am an unfun elitist I guess. But that's fine, like attracts like and I always end up in guilds that suit me.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned