This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Cheapest 2-3TB Drive that is fairly reliable?

#1Flame_HazardPosted 6/1/2014 4:43:38 PM
I bought a 1 TB Caviar blue drive a while back. Somewhat surprisingly, I found that I burned through that space in no time, as I'm down to about 287GB now. I need more space, but I want it to last years this time, preferably. 287GB will last me a few months, probably, but it's not a comfortable thing.

So any recommendations? Should I stick to western digital? Was looking at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236344

But the 3 star rating is severely unnerving.
---
Warning: EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE! Keep away from populated message boards.
#2TimePharaohPosted 6/1/2014 4:46:41 PM(edited)
10/10 on the useful topic scale for stating what it's purpose is going to be
#3drinkPosted 6/1/2014 4:50:27 PM
Buy a 2-3TB drive that has the highest rating that you can afford.
---
You didn't try google, you made that up...
Twist those dirty bags - Shake
#4Flame_Hazard(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2014 4:55:49 PM(edited)
TimePharaoh posted...
10/10 on the useful topic scale for stating what it's purpose is going to be

I'm not sure what you expect me to say on that matter. It's for storage of any data that I don't want to lose, from music, to movies, to games I'm done playing on Steam but don't want to redownload when I want to play them again.

drink posted...

I'm also trying to save money, and ratings don't necessarily mean it's a good drive. A number of times I wanted to purchase a Seagate drive, with 5 star ratings, only to find that knowledgeable people yell at you not to buy them, as they will fail.
---
#5Timmy124123Posted 6/1/2014 5:01:05 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148834&cm_re=sea_gate_2tb-_-22-148-834-_-Product

I have this one and it hasn't had a problem.
---
I7 4770k @ 4.2Ghz | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Extreme4 | G Skill 16GB DDR3-1866 | Corsair HX850 | SG 2000 GB | HAF 912 Advanced |
#6strongo9Posted 6/1/2014 5:01:19 PM
You can get a 3TB Seagate Barracude for $106 right now.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=66009
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce GT 540m
#7geekneck99Posted 6/1/2014 5:14:51 PM
This Toshiba 3TB is actually a re-branded Hitachi, if that makes any difference to you.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/toshiba-internal-hard-drive-ph3300u1i72
---
i5 4570K @ stock | GTX 780 SC + ACX | Z87 Extreme4 | 8GB DDR3-1600 | Corsair H105 | Corsair HX 650 | Define R4 w/ window | 120GB SSD + 3TB HDD
#8drinkPosted 6/1/2014 5:24:49 PM(edited)
Flame_Hazard posted...

drink posted...

I'm also trying to save money, and ratings don't necessarily mean it's a good drive. A number of times I wanted to purchase a Seagate drive, with 5 star ratings, only to find that knowledgeable people yell at you not to buy them, as they will fail.

Everyone opinion here is about equal to a review on newegg. Just because a few people on a forum yell at you about a drive doesn't make a 100's of 5 star review invalid

The drive you posted is for a NAS, is that what your using it for? You provided no info on usage or how much you want to spend.

I would go with what strongo9 suggested and get the seagate or go with a western digital. I'm not a fan of Toshiba or Hitachi.
---
You didn't try google, you made that up...
Twist those dirty bags - Shake
#9Flame_Hazard(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2014 2:30:03 AM
Two seagates and a hitachi (which I can get for a similar price on Amazon it seems). I suppose Seagate isn't trash after all. Maybe. Thanks for the links.

drink posted...
Everyone opinion here is about equal to a review on newegg. Just because a few people on a forum yell at you about a drive doesn't make a 100's of 5 star review invalid

The drive you posted is for a NAS, is that what your using it for? You provided no info on usage or how much you want to spend.

I would go with what strongo9 suggested and get the seagate or go with a western digital. I'm not a fan of Toshiba or Hitachi.

I see. Yeah, I don't do anything that complicated. Any hard drive I have is popped into my machine and used to toss files on at will. I actually didn't even notice that was a NAS.

Asking Gamefaqs things is a habit of mine. I've been posting here since 2004, so I ask, whether I ultimately accept advice given over what I've read elsewhere or not. Typically, I get good leads on whatever it is I want to know. Currently leaning towards Seagate, as I have used them in the past, and their drives are cheaper than WD equivalents (I think). Once I read some other opinions anyway. A sale would swing that in an instant though, as might reviews on the Hitachi drives I suppose.

Anyway yeah, just basic storage, sitting in my machine. Files may be accessed frequently, so external isn't what I'm looking for. Budget is ~150 max, but $100 or less is my preferred goal, which may require waiting for a sale.
---
#10Lonestar2000Posted 6/2/2014 3:44:32 AM
What is your max budget?
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335