This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help. I'm looking for a good tablet, any recommendation?

#11jedinatPosted 6/2/2014 7:17:15 PM(edited)
K4P_Link posted...
jedinat posted...
K4P_Link posted...
ASUS t100 transformer book

That's basically a crappy laptop with a removable keyboard...

...and? it actually runs an OS. I mean if you like to be limited to watered down apps go for it

You're missing the point of a tablet. It's a media consumption device. I can't run perfect viewer on that and I doubt Honeyview would work well... and windows app selection is crap.
#12K4P_LinkPosted 6/2/2014 7:18:51 PM
jedinat posted...
K4P_Link posted...
jedinat posted...
K4P_Link posted...

...and? it actually runs an OS. I mean if you like to be limited to watered down apps go for it

You're missing the point of a tablet. It's a media consumption device. I can't run perfect viewer on that and I doubt Honeyview would work well...

Sure but the tablet is evolving. Something running iOS or Android is simply a big cell phone. If that's what you want then that's cool. I guess imo I don't like to buy something that is so limited in it's uses. Though I guess if all you care about is watching videos then yea it's not the best.
---
PSN : EverInfinity17
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1580697/
#13Majoras_pantsPosted 6/2/2014 7:20:15 PM
I've had an iPad 2 and liked it.
I currently have a Nexus 7 and like it.

But neither really serves much of a purpose. I usually have my macbook air with me because I work on the go, and my Nexus 7 isn't good for much more than playing some games on the subway. But really, my phone is just as good for most things (HTC One).

I don't think I'd buy another tablet. Unless it was like, a Surface Pro. But that's closer to a laptop.

I think tablets are pretty overrated.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#14Garage_ManPosted 6/2/2014 7:37:48 PM
K4P_Link posted...
jedinat posted...
K4P_Link posted...
jedinat posted...
K4P_Link posted...

You're missing the point of a tablet. It's a media consumption device. I can't run perfect viewer on that and I doubt Honeyview would work well...

Sure but the tablet is evolving. Something running iOS or Android is simply a big cell phone. If that's what you want then that's cool. I guess imo I don't like to buy something that is so limited in it's uses. Though I guess if all you care about is watching videos then yea it's not the best.

You say it like the closed nature of iOS and Android are a bad thing. Personally it's what I love. I turn my tablet it..it's ready to go in seconds with all my apps right there. Want YouTube, good to go in a nice interface, games, media streaming, even crud like remote desktop.

I think the surface problem is that it runs windows. I don't want a full computer experience on the go or in my hand. I want super quick ways to get my information and get off of it asap. Windows is clunky like that. It's great when I'm bat my workstation with 3 monitors multitasking all over.

I guess it boils down to different strokes for different folks.
#15Inferno700Posted 6/2/2014 7:39:29 PM
K4P_Link posted...
ASUS t100 transformer book. you're dumb if you get anything else in it's price range.

This. I got one 2 weeks ago and am very pleased with it. It plays some Stream games and comes with Microsoft Office.

Get the 64GB one.
---
NNID: Jesus_Is_God 3DS FC: 3952-8112-9436
Steam ID: Inferno700
#16KainReaver109(Topic Creator)Posted 6/3/2014 6:48:51 AM
Bump

and what do you guys think of MS Surface?
#17dunkisPosted 6/3/2014 7:07:06 AM(edited)
I haven't personally worked with one, so I can't fairly judge, but from just what I know, I wouldn't consider the Surface a good way to go unless you actually want essentially an Ultrabook. The RT version is just a very stripped down Windows that won't compete as well with Android or iOS and the Pro version is fairly pricey, but is essentially a super compact PC. I mean, that's awesome, but overkill for your purposes, yeah?

Personally I use the Nexus 10 because I'm using it as something directly between my phone and my laptop. It's beautifully simple, stock Android, one of the first to get updates, WQXGA, front facing speakers, reasonably powerful, and relatively cheap, so it's great as far as just being a multimedia device. If you want to watch videos on it, do web browsing, etc. It's also pretty decent for gaming, where screen size helps obviously, though can be a bit more unwieldy if you're holding it yourself for long periods of time. The bad is it lacks SD card support and has no cellular data capabilities if either of those matter to you, but then I just use Dropbox for transfers and my phone as a hotspot when I need internet on the go.

I should also add that unless you have a lot of money to spend or you actually have a real use, don't get a tablet for the sake getting one. It is a fad. The novelty wears off fairly fast when you realize it doesn't get as much use. I justified getting one for college where otherwise I had a laptop more for gaming that was just a bit big to carry just for the sake of note taking and looking up stuff. Otherwise, it just doesn't see much use. I do occasionally use it to stream videos when I'm in bed or don't want to hook up something else to the TV.
---
NNID: TheDunc
#18acangialPosted 6/3/2014 7:17:41 AM
We recently bought a mid range Samsung tablet that is pretty slick and is of course much faster than my 4 year old ipad 2. With this in my mind, my old ipad 2 is still used everyday for the purposes:

For a lot of us on this board with medium to high end gaming rigs, you will be sorely disappointed to expect anything but the following from your tablet:

Web browsing (shopping on Amazon, posting to gfaqs, etc.)
Netflix, HBO, Youtube etc.
Reading e-books
Simple casual gaming (serious gaming is still an absolute joke unless you are playing an old school RPG and even then it's a hassle)

With this in mind, there is no need to spend a lot of money on a high end tablet. Just go for a mid range quality one that will do the job.
---
i5-3570K, GTX660 2GB, ASRock Z77 EXTRM4, CV 8GB DDR, Samsung 840 120GB, WD Caviar Blk 1T, XFX PRO750W, CM HAF 922, CM Hyp 212 EVO, Logitech G13 & G700
#19qeoijlijwPosted 6/3/2014 11:25:36 AM
kindle hdx
dell venue pro
#20TehPwnzererPosted 6/3/2014 11:53:30 AM
KainReaver109 posted...
Bump

and what do you guys think of MS Surface?

Here's the thing with me. Carrying around a one-piece laptop without a keyboard doesn't make any sense when you can carry something like a phablet that can act as an all inclusive media center to act as your phone, and social media player.

If I need something more powerful than that, why spend money on an oversized phone that can't take any calls when I can get something like a convertable laptop that can act as a makeshift tablet if I need it to? For the price of a Surface Pro, you can get a Lenovo Yoga or Dell XPS. That way not only do you have your tablet, but when you really need a keyboard, it's right there for you.

Of all the tablets on the market today, if you're going to invest the money in a really good one, The Microsoft Surface is probably the best choice if you need a lot of power. I would still agree with everyone else about the Asus Transformer.