This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thinking of building a budget PC, how "future-proof" is this build?

#1mkil5Posted 6/3/2014 4:44:39 AM
I am mainly a console gamer, I already have a PS4 and I am looking to build a new PC. The PC is actually going to be a secondary machine for me. I am still getting Destiny, Battlefield, and all the multiplayer games on the PS4 simply because that is the system that my friends are on and I would rather play with them than have the game look prettier.

On the PC, I was looking at an FX-6300 with a Radeon 7950, due to bundles, deals, and reusable parts, I can get it for about $450 (No OS or monitor). I would overclock both of them.

I am going to do 1080p gaming, and would have no problem with dropping down to 900p, or even 720p in future games. And this build would be much more powerful than PS4/Xbox One. So would it be safe to say that this build would play games for the remainder of these console's life pretty well? Obviously they wouldn't all be 1080p on Ultra settings 6 years from now, but it should still look better than the consoles shouldn't it?
#2thatfool12GsPosted 6/3/2014 4:49:24 AM
Lol didn't read
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#3PhilOnDezPosted 6/3/2014 5:04:28 AM
Should be fine, just be warned that the 6300 doesn't do well in any remotely CPU intensive game. A lot of people on this board say they use them and don't notice any problems but I always try to verify their claims and almost always find someone with a near identical setup asking why they're getting awful performance in X game.

It'll do fine in pretty much any PS3/360 port and I'd imagine the same being true for PS4/xbone ports (so long as they don't have extra CPU intensive features like DMC4's mode with 10x as many enemies as normal and that Lord of the Rings game where enemy NPCs will basically live full lives and hold a grudge against you) due to it being about 4x faster and having just as many usable threads but a lot of MMOs, RTS, TBS, (anything with tons of units on screen basically) will crawl on it, unfortunately, as will some sims like ARMA 3.

A lot of people seem to think it has some incredible price to performance ratio, and without looking anything up aside from the 6300 itself, it certainly appears to look that way. 6 cores clocked at 4ghz? Sounds incredible but it's priced like an i3 because it performs like an i3, a 3.3-3.6ghz dual core that uses a third as much power.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#4PharohofLaptopsPosted 6/3/2014 5:04:31 AM
LolAMD
#5I_Heart_EeveePosted 6/3/2014 5:10:18 AM
How are you getting a build with a 7950 for $450? And you'd never have to drop down to even 900p. The 7950 would have plenty of VRAM for any game at 1080p. You could play any game now at almost all high settings with a solid 60 FPS. It will always outperform the PS4. Not like in 5 years the PS4's video card will magically get better.
#6phy2jshPosted 6/3/2014 5:14:32 AM
thatfool12Gs posted...
Lol didn't read

You can read? Life is full of surprises...
---
Posted using GameFlux
Get it now for Android from Google Play!
#7mkil5(Topic Creator)Posted 6/3/2014 5:22:27 AM
I_Heart_Eevee posted...
How are you getting a build with a 7950 for $450? And you'd never have to drop down to even 900p. The 7950 would have plenty of VRAM for any game at 1080p. You could play any game now at almost all high settings with a solid 60 FPS. It will always outperform the PS4. Not like in 5 years the PS4's video card will magically get better.

Well, it is what it would cost for me really. I might should have been more specific. Microcenter is running a good MB/CPU combo. You can get a 7950 pretty cheap on eBay, used and not the best way to buy, but it might just work. I have one 4GB stick of DDR3, just need to buy one more. Need to buy a case/PSU. I am reusing the an SSD and hard drive.
#8PhilOnDezPosted 6/3/2014 5:32:40 AM
I would really, really recommend against buying any used AMD card at this point. It's pretty much guaranteed to have been mined into oblivion.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#9BannedMomPosted 6/3/2014 7:42:46 AM
Used AMD card.

OMG, 2 words that strike in the hearts of many.
---
I5-4440 - Asrock H81M - Zotac 750Ti - CM N200 = Future Emulation and Gaming Build @ 1600 x 900
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.
#10r0ge00Posted 6/3/2014 7:54:33 AM
First off, there's really no such thing as future proofing. You should go the Intel route with an i3 or even Pentium CPU and a non-used AMD card (was probably used for mining 24/7, which is really stressful on the card). You can upgrade the GPU or CPU to an i5 or i7 down the line if you need to and it should be roughly the same cost as the AMD build.