This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best IDS for Windows 7?

#1ShinnokxzPosted 6/3/2014 12:03:58 PM(edited)
I have an uncle that I'm fairly sure might be letting some paranoia get to him. His machine is Fort Knox compared to about 90% of them out there, running Norton and Security Essentials at once, toughest firewall settings in Windows and his router. He claims people are remoting in and trying to access his bank account. He's really unable to give me details as far as when the 'process' actually happens, such as if he's able to control the mouse/keyboard while this other guy is typing and clicking around.

I'm going over there to review the events manager and see if that would bring up any clues, but I'm so far chalking it up to him thinking people are always trying to break into his house to steal his computer, and him relying on technology he doesn't understand that plays in some contrived farce he's let the news media tell him.
#2BannedMomPosted 6/3/2014 12:10:55 PM
Lol. What an idiot.

Norton and MSE together
Windows Firewall

How.ironic.
---
I5-4440 - Asrock H81M - Zotac 750Ti - CM N200 = Future Emulation and Gaming Build @ 1600 x 900
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.
#3Shinnokxz(Topic Creator)Posted 6/3/2014 12:16:15 PM
I don't think you know what ironic means, but thanks for the quick hit there chet. The Norton install was essentially there to act as another layer of protection showing him he's absurdly secure by any stretch of the imagination as far standard computer use goes. It's a clean Windows 7 install. He simply doesn't understand.
#4BannedMomPosted 6/3/2014 12:23:39 PM
Tell him to put 10 more anti virus and more windows firewall.

He will be safe from teh hackerzzz.
---
I5-4440 - Asrock H81M - Zotac 750Ti - CM N200 = Future Emulation and Gaming Build @ 1600 x 900
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.
#5mrCubePosted 6/3/2014 12:31:15 PM
The sad thing is that from what I've seen BannedMom post on this board, I can't be 100% sure he's joking or not.
---
---
#6Master_BassPosted 6/3/2014 12:42:07 PM
You should introduce him to the wonderful world of full HDD encryption. Sounds like that would be right up his alley if he thinks people are trying to break into his house and steal his computer.

Maybe therapy would help too, no offense to him. Why is he so paranoid, though?
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#7Shinnokxz(Topic Creator)Posted 6/3/2014 12:52:34 PM
He runs a private detective business so he always has had this idea that he's always working with sensitive information, when in reality he hires out people to work cases for insurance companies on cases like workman's comp fraud. Not exactly CIA level s*** here.

BitLocker could be interesting I guess, but really does nothing in the way of his current fixation.

The only thing that keeps me from telling him to piss off is that he pays okay (a bit better since I got my degree). Otherwise he'd be definitely overstepping what's considered to be fair and/or disadvantageous in what having 'the computer guy in the family' is to him. I've been 'on-call' for just about everything you can imagine for this guy over the years. He's your atypical computer user that doesn't want to sit back and learn anything, want's every process to be a button click.
#8RosencroitzPosted 6/3/2014 4:26:23 PM
Shinnokxz posted...
I don't think you know what ironic means, but thanks for the quick hit there chet. The Norton install was essentially there to act as another layer of protection showing him he's absurdly secure by any stretch of the imagination as far standard computer use goes. It's a clean Windows 7 install. He simply doesn't understand.

...I'm not sure you understand. Multiple AV software installed at once causes problems--it protects you less.
---
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.
#9BannedMomPosted 6/3/2014 8:02:34 PM
He's a noob and so are you. Better get those 10 AV to be protected from viruses!
---
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.
#10cancerstormPosted 6/3/2014 8:05:58 PM
http://static.blol.me/photos/1285019195192.jpg
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2996/cancerstorm.jpg