This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I want to get a 1440p monitor

#1Mitch35Posted 6/3/2014 4:02:23 PM
One of those overclockable korean panels because they are pretty cheap and a friend owns one and it looks really nice. I've been doing all my gaming on a 1080p monitor so far with my GTX 680 and I can get pretty good performance out of every game, but I'm not sure if my 2GB 680 will quite cut it at 1440p, and I've read different answers everywhere.

Will my 2GB GTX 680 run most games at pretty good framerates at 1440p on medium-high settings, or is the card just not powerful enough? Will there be a VRAM bottleneck?

Thanks in advance, I'd really like to know whether or not my comp can support this resolution. Also, if it matters I have an 3770k at 4.3ghz and 16gb of RAM.
#2DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/3/2014 4:35:52 PM
There won't be any real issues with vram.
It should handle medium-high in most games for now.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#3chris121691Posted 6/3/2014 4:46:00 PM
It'll probably be fine, but honestly you might want to have at least 3 gigs or more. I've had a couple games go over 2gb
#4AcquirePosted 6/3/2014 5:27:22 PM
I had that same card for 1440p. Could handle most games at maximum, low AA, with pretty good fps. An example of some games:

Batman Arkham City: max, fxaa, physx on high, 60fps
Bioshock Infinite: max (dx11 effects), lowest aa, 40 fps
Metro Last Light: max, low aa, phsx, low 30s fps
Max Payne 3: max, low aa, 60 fps
Assassin's Creed 4: max, low aa, no physx, 20 fps >_>

There are some games you'll have to turn down the visuals, but for most games that aren't badly optimized it can do max just fine without running into memory or performance issues. That is, if you're okay with lower frame rates and the massive amount of screen tearing that you'll end up getting as it can keep a lot of games in the mid 40s, which is horrible for screen tearing.

Asus just announced that their g sync monitor is launching next month. It's 1440p and would get rid of screen tearing, though it w ill be $800. I'd wait to see some reviews on it to at least see if it's worth looking into.

I've since upgraded to dual gtx 780 Tis.
---
Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.
#5Mitch35(Topic Creator)Posted 6/3/2014 5:29:52 PM
I should clarify that I prefer to play at 60fps. Dips to 45 or so are fine but the closer to 60 consistently the better. I am worried that I will not be able to play games like The Witcher 2, Metro Last Light and things like that with 60fps in 1440p.

Is it still worth the upgrade for the card I have or should I wait until the 800's come out?
#6Master_BassPosted 6/3/2014 5:31:44 PM
If you're looking to actually overclock your monitor and try for 120 FPS in games, it won't cut it most likely. If you're happy with 60 FPS and don't expect to max everything, you'll do ok. Also, you can save a little bit of money if you have no interest in overclocking one of those monitors to 120 Hz. Most sellers know about that now and will charge a bit of a premium for ones that can be overclocked. So if you're not looking to overclock, don't waste your money on one that can.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#7CELTEKKPosted 6/3/2014 5:46:48 PM(edited)
I have an Asus GTX 680, 2GB of VRAM, and I run everything high-very high on 1440p. You'll be fine.

Edit: I'm not upgrading my card until the GTX 880s consumer release, so take that as you may...
---
steam:celtekk|origin:celtekk
"Get dungeons." - WyzeGye, 2014
#8AcquirePosted 6/3/2014 5:46:35 PM
Mitch35 posted...
I should clarify that I prefer to play at 60fps. Dips to 45 or so are fine but the closer to 60 consistently the better. I am worried that I will not be able to play games like The Witcher 2, Metro Last Light and things like that with 60fps in 1440p.

Is it still worth the upgrade for the card I have or should I wait until the 800's come out?

If you're okay with lowering settings in games then you should be able to hit 60 fps fine. A 680 is not powerful enough to do max settings at 60 fps though, even a 780 Ti has issues with some games. I wouldn't bother with trying to go 120 Hz if you're not going to be trying to hit 120 fps. You'd have to really lower the settings on games in order to push that many frames with a 680 either way.
---
Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.
#9Mitch35(Topic Creator)Posted 6/3/2014 6:22:51 PM(edited)
Thanks everyone for the input. I was hoping to overclock this monitor past 60hz, maybe not 120hz but 80-90 would have been nice but it looks like I'd need to stick everyone on lowest to get any benefit out of that.

I think the best action is to see what Gsync brings to the table before I make a decision whether or not to upgrade my card and get a Korean panel or grab the Gsync panel.
#10triple sPosted 6/3/2014 6:48:58 PM
Mitch35 posted...
One of those overclockable korean panels because they are pretty cheap and a friend owns one and it looks really nice. I've been doing all my gaming on a 1080p monitor so far with my GTX 680 and I can get pretty good performance out of every game, but I'm not sure if my 2GB 680 will quite cut it at 1440p, and I've read different answers everywhere.

Will my 2GB GTX 680 run most games at pretty good framerates at 1440p on medium-high settings, or is the card just not powerful enough? Will there be a VRAM bottleneck?

Thanks in advance, I'd really like to know whether or not my comp can support this resolution. Also, if it matters I have an 3770k at 4.3ghz and 16gb of RAM.

Let me give you my experience. While I never used my old 680 2GB on 4k, I can tell you I am getting about the same performance on a 780ti with 1440p that I was with the 680.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22