This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will a stock video card always keep cool enough with the fan set to auto?

#1LilToasterBabyPosted 6/4/2014 12:45:11 AM
Particularly, an Asus R9 280X (while overclocked, it's the standard Asus one that came with it). In the past, with my overclocked 560 Ti, I would always crank my fan speed up because I was worried about it getting too hot. If I have the fan set to auto on this new card, though, it should always keep itself cool enough, right? I play games with a controller a lot, while on my bed, and it makes monitoring the temp a pain.
#2DragnfyrPosted 6/4/2014 11:34:19 AM
If you're not overclocking anything yourself then the stock settings will work fine.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
#3SnadadosPosted 6/4/2014 11:47:16 AM
Most auto fan profiles will raise the fan speeds at a pretty steady rate as the card gets hotter all the way up to 100% speed.
The auto profile should reach 100% fan speed long before your card gets close to the max allowable temps.

It doesn't matter if it is an auto fan profile or a custom profile, if your overclock is too much then your card is going to overheat.
100% fan speed from an auto profile is the same as 100% fan speed on a custom profile, you're just choosing when the fans speed up to 100%.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#4KURRUPTORPosted 6/4/2014 12:11:06 PM
So it's a factory oc? If you didn't do any oc yourself you have nothing to worry about, the factory fan settings will take car of the factory oc.

Can't say it will never overheat but if it did and you haven't messed with it you can just return it.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.