This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My Windows drive should have more free space than it says it does?

#1Gt6_PROPosted 6/4/2014 1:25:59 PM
I have windows 8 and I only have 9.4 GB of my 92 GB Partition left.I have already compressed my drive but when I go into my Windows drive, select all the files and click properties, the properties box says i have only 55 GB of space. I would kind of want that free space so does anyone know how to get the free space or is my computer trolling me?
#2Orestes417Posted 6/4/2014 1:27:55 PM
Download treesize or spacemonger and see where your space is being taken up.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#3Gt6_PRO(Topic Creator)Posted 6/4/2014 1:28:44 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4Gt6_PRO(Topic Creator)Posted 6/4/2014 1:51:46 PM
I used treesize and i think most of its coming from Pagefile and hiberfil which is sucking up almost 50% of my hard drive. if I only have 8 GB of ram how much do i reduce the file too and how?
also i when i scanned my drive it said i only have used 60 GB???
#5fataliPosted 6/4/2014 1:54:19 PM
Here's how to remove the hibernation file:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#6SinisterSlayPosted 6/4/2014 1:54:58 PM
page file and hiberfile will be the exact size of your RAM.

Disable hibernation and delete the hiberfile, and reduce the size of your pagefile or move it to another hard drive.
Also, system restore can hog a lot of space, reduce how much space it is allowed to use.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#7Gt6_PRO(Topic Creator)Posted 6/4/2014 2:03:19 PM
thanks everyone it worked but for some reason Treesize says i have 40 GB free space but when i go into my PC it says ive got 15 GB free?
#8SinisterSlayPosted 6/4/2014 2:22:35 PM
Gt6_PRO posted...
thanks everyone it worked but for some reason Treesize says i have 40 GB free space but when i go into my PC it says ive got 15 GB free?

Which of the things we have said have you done so far?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#9SnadadosPosted 6/4/2014 2:27:15 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/69365794

Similar topic with some tips about getting some of your space back.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#10Gt6_PRO(Topic Creator)Posted 6/5/2014 12:46:50 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Gt6_PRO posted...

Which of the things we have said have you done so far?

i got rid of my hibernation file and my page file and now my PC says I've got 15 GB left but when i go onto my PC then my Windows drive, select all the files and click properties it still says i have got 40 GB free space . Treesize now also says that after deleting those two files so its basically like my computer can't count?