This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best program to record gameplay videos on Youtube?

#1XxTwisted26xXPosted 6/4/2014 3:42:12 PM
Hey guys, just got this game The Forest and I want to record myself playing it so I can show it to my friends! Whats the best program to use to tape and put on youtube? I heard FRAPS was good but they say you can only make... 30 second videos? :/
---
Steam: xxtwisted26xx
Not the best but it's my first: i5-3570k(CPU) Memory 8GB (RAM) Radeon HD 7970 (GPU) Rosewell 650 (PSU) 120GB King (SSD) Asus VN247HP 1ms
#2MahoganyTooth92Posted 6/4/2014 3:47:35 PM
FRAPS requires you to pay to record longer.

Dxtory is an alternative, but also costs money.
---
"I'm amazed TC is still posting. It's not your everyday run of the mill stupidity. This is advanced stupidity." -nickizgr8
#3CllerjPosted 6/4/2014 3:52:10 PM
OBS
---
Games. That is all.
#4macmahon187Posted 6/4/2014 3:52:44 PM
If u had a nvidia gpu you could use shadow play. I record in high quality with no fps loss and the size is very small compared to fraps.
---
Brought to you by GameFlux
Free GameFAQs app on Google Play!
#5XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 6/4/2014 3:53:43 PM
macmahon187 posted...
If u had a nvidia gpu you could use shadow play. I record in high quality with no fps loss and the size is very small compared to fraps.

Got AMD 7970 :(
---
Not the best but it's my first: i5-3570k(CPU) Memory 8GB (RAM) Radeon HD 7970 (GPU) Rosewell 650 (PSU) 120GB King (SSD) Asus VN247HP 1ms
#6XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 6/4/2014 3:55:41 PM
Hmm if I were to buy FRAPS, is it one of the best recorders? And if I record, does that FPS number in the top left corner show in the video? And does it allow me to record my voice during the recording? Like I can provide commentary while playing?
---
#7OriginallyAlexPosted 6/4/2014 4:35:42 PM
I never could get into Fraps...I really enjoy using Camtasia Studio 8. You can always use the free trial, but it's $299 unless you're a student. A good, free alternative would probably be OBS, although I don't have much experience with it.
---
3DS FC: 1478 - 3822 - 3143
Friend Safari | Ice: Beartic, Lapras, Snorunt
#8happyscrub1Posted 6/4/2014 5:56:34 PM
XxTwisted26xX posted...
Hmm if I were to buy FRAPS, is it one of the best recorders? And if I record, does that FPS number in the top left corner show in the video? And does it allow me to record my voice during the recording? Like I can provide commentary while playing?

The FPS showing is an option in fraps.

And yes, it will record your voice.
---
Who is happyscrub? Click to find out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRaxB9eK1X4
#9R i c kPosted 6/4/2014 6:06:33 PM(edited)
Dxtory is better than Fraps but Fraps is also worth having. If you have an adequate nVidia card, though, definitely look into ShadowPlay. I haven't used it since I have an ATI card but I've seen nothing but praise for it. Recorders always (AFAIK) have options to hide the frame counter and mouse pointer if you like.

Dxtory - Low resources, won't hit your CPU hard. Good quality. Can hook into most games but can't record the desktop. Multiple audio streams so you can record gameplay and your mic to different streams to make editing easier.

Fraps - Hits the CPU a bit harder than Dxtroy and can affect your gameplay as well as video stutter if your framerate goes low enough. Good quality. Has about as good compatibility as Dxtory but it also records the desktop. Fraps merges audio streams, though, so gameplay and mic will both end up on a single stream when editing.

Bandicam - I keep this as a backup when the above two don't work. It records after the framebuffer which makes it compatible with almost anything. Ok quality but not as good as the above two, filesize is a lot smaller, however. It can record the desktop as well as screen regions.

So, Dxtory > Fraps > Bandicam and I move down the list only if a recorder isn't compatible with whatever I'm trying to record.
---
The SilentCaay Channel - www.youtube.com/user/silentcaay
Competitive gaming featuring APB: Reloaded and others. Tune in!
#10HypereiaPosted 6/4/2014 6:41:36 PM
Really prefer Dxtory personally, due to you having more options for using different codecs, also, you can have multiple audio streams.

Shadowplay is another option, mainly due to the least amount of overhead when recording; but there is an issue with it only having the choice to record content as variable frame rate instead of constant frame rate. This can and will cause audio sync issues as the video becomes longer; Youtube will gladly point this fact out for you if you upload directly, without first converting the footage to CFR using Handbrake.

One thing to note if you record gameplay using Dxtory using an x264/h264 codec, you might have to demux the file to a different container/audio format for some editing programs to even open it. This was seriously picking my brain until I figured it out. You'll want to use Avidemux for this.

The only time I'd use Shadowplay over Dxtory is when I can't always maintain 30 FPS, which can happen when recording DayZ: SA footage in some circumstances (lol, optimization).
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Hypereia
Origin/BF4: Hypereia