This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why the hate for AMD?

#1iemerg_Posted 6/4/2014 7:14:20 PM
Just purchased a Sapphire R7 265 (came with $100 free games card) for $160 and the comparable 750TI has like 13% less performance... Also was looking at the FX line for CPU's and in comparison to the i5's and i7's they get notacably better performance in some gaming for a lot less...

so why does everyone trash talk AMD? been running them for YEARS and NVIDIA and I love them both. Sure AMD has a little bit worse driver compability but they have gotten better. I'm just wondering why people choose the 750ti over the r7 265 for the same price when the 265 craps on it.
---
"Only real men can cook bacon shirtless" me
#2cow1578Posted 6/4/2014 7:17:56 PM
For a long time AMD dominated in the performance/price ratio. That's why I almost always used to buy AMD.

But I'm not sure about my next card.
---
What's your nationality?
Me? I'm a drunkard.
#3wildog2006Posted 6/4/2014 7:19:25 PM
iemerg_ posted...
the 265 craps

I don't want a GPU with poop in it, so I went nvidia.
---
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''
#4Jeffw88Posted 6/4/2014 7:22:02 PM
I really like AMD's videocards.

But AMD's FX series...is absolutely disappointing, when even a $60 Pentium G3220 can keep up with Fx 8350 on some games..
---
Just because you think it is right, it doesn't make it right for everyone. Even you.
You're being trolled only if you let them.
#5Garage_ManPosted 6/4/2014 7:25:36 PM
AMD is awesome sometimes. Their graphics card line almost always leads on Price:Performance. Way back in the day (like 1.5 years) I got the 7970 and got many games for nada. Awesome IMO.

The ONLY reason I can see anyone dissing AMD cards is heat, noise, and no downsampling. I guess you could say micro stutter on Crossfire but they have vastly got rid of that.

AMDs PROCESSORS on the other hand....there is little reason to bother. Intels Core i3 beats out most AMD procs these days.

The other issue is when you have people with money...AMD usually cannot compete. I would have loved to go AMD again as I prefer their drivers but SLI 780 TI it had to be.
#6iemerg_(Topic Creator)Posted 6/4/2014 7:30:48 PM
Jeffw88 posted...
I really like AMD's videocards.

But AMD's FX series...is absolutely disappointing, when even a $60 Pentium G3220 can keep up with Fx 8350 on some games..

Is that why it's rated with some $250+ i7's?

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8350+Eight-Core
---
#7iemerg_(Topic Creator)Posted 6/4/2014 7:32:58 PM
Garage_Man posted...
AMD is awesome sometimes. Their graphics card line almost always leads on Price:Performance. Way back in the day (like 1.5 years) I got the 7970 and got many games for nada. Awesome IMO.

The ONLY reason I can see anyone dissing AMD cards is heat, noise, and no downsampling. I guess you could say micro stutter on Crossfire but they have vastly got rid of that.

AMDs PROCESSORS on the other hand....there is little reason to bother. Intels Core i3 beats out most AMD procs these days.

The other issue is when you have people with money...AMD usually cannot compete. I would have loved to go AMD again as I prefer their drivers but SLI 780 TI it had to be.

I have been comparing AMD and NVIDIA cards and actually most of the AMD cards have reported better cooling... I can admit NVIDIA does take the cake on less power consumption and noise but who really cares when you get better cooling with AMD and can turn the fan down?

I also don't get how poeple can say the FX processors are this bad when people have shown benchmarks of them competing with i7's?
---
#8Garage_ManPosted 6/4/2014 7:33:21 PM
Thats not how that works. Overall it can match a older i7. Single thread performance it can't...it's not even CLOSE. Hence why a i3 is a better practical CPU. How many games do you know of that use 8 cpu cores? HOW MANY COMPUTER PROGRAMS? lol.
#9iemerg_(Topic Creator)Posted 6/4/2014 7:38:49 PM(edited)
Garage_Man posted...
Thats not how that works. Overall it can match a older i7. Single thread performance it can't...it's not even CLOSE. Hence why a i3 is a better practical CPU. How many games do you know of that use 8 cpu cores? HOW MANY COMPUTER PROGRAMS? lol.

What do you mean thats not how it works? I've looked at GAME benchmarks where it got almost the same fps as i5's and a few i7's...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328-14.html
---
#10Garage_ManPosted 6/4/2014 7:37:48 PM
iemerg_ posted...
Garage_Man posted...

I have been comparing AMD and NVIDIA cards and actually most of the AMD cards have reported better cooling... I can admit NVIDIA does take the cake on less power consumption and noise but who really cares when you get better cooling with AMD and can turn the fan down?

I also don't get how poeple can say the FX processors are this bad when people have shown benchmarks of them competing with i7's?

Exactly. Less power and noise. That means when I slap a water cooler on it will be better for cooling...as well as air cooling The less power used the less potential thermal energy gets thrown out in heat. It's physics man. this stuff isn't up for debating. Ever heard a pair of 290x cards doing work? I have a pair of them too...they are quite loud.

My DD are 780TI for a reason...

Not sure if you are trying to fight with people orrrr?