This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why the hate for AMD?

#101KamenRiderBladePosted 6/6/2014 3:06:35 PM
BambooPandamo posted...
People have been saying this for YEARS. Because Intel isn't challenged they don't the need to further their R&D, which hurts everyone. I'm not going to buy AMD because I wanna support the little guy, I want the fastest and cheapest processor out there. AMD doesn't even have the price-performance title anymore.

Intel having a monopoly isn't something that's far ahead in the future, it's already here. AMD is on life support because they practically begged Sony and Microsoft to produce the garbage APUs on current generation consoles. That and price gouging cryptocurrencies newbies with $1,500 GPU mining kits.

Every day I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from buying AMD, it's my life's biggest regret. It's not just us that hate AMD, even their employees posted bitterly about the shifting leadership roles in the company (CEOs basically leaving the door every other month). The biggest failure being the Bulldozer saga, boy oh boy, what a saga.

If you don't want to support the little guy, that's your perogative.

Usually Fastest & Cheapest are at opposite ends of the spectrum, where on that spectrum do you lie, right in the middle, more towards fastest, more towards cheapest?

As far as price - performance, depends on what price budget you are willing to go by for the CPU / whole system.

We've all known Intel having a monopoly since way back in the day, even during AMD's performance reign, they still didn't have the market share. It doesn't help that Intel's Anti-competitive practices really affected AMD.

Sony / MS went to AMD asking for a APU, and their criteria was cost to produce, not raw performance. Blame Sony / MS for wanting to make cheap APU's that under perform instead of choosing a higher performing part. Please cast the proper blame where it should go.

As for crypto currency, that's US retailers hiking up prices because they realize they can price gouge for profits. Other regions didn't have this problem, only the US.

As for Bulldozer, yeah I can't agree with the direction they went there. They choose a future architecture style that people have to code around for instead of designing a CPU that boosts existing code's performance while having head room to grow.

Jerry Sanders: 1969 - 2002 (Founder)
Hector Ruiz: 2002 - Jul 2008
Dirk Meyer: Jul 2008 - Jan 2011
Rory Read: Aug, 2011 - current

Not exactly turbulent revolving door, your hyperbole is a bit much
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#102Chewybacca34Posted 6/6/2014 3:15:18 PM
I have a fx 6350 and a 280x and I have no issues. It performs well and plays any game I want at great settings.
---
Welp, see ya later!
#103josh_bPosted 6/6/2014 5:10:04 PM
I used AMD products for several years and I always found it to be lacking in one area or another. Ever since I swapped to Intel and Nvidia a few years ago I've had no complaints.

I always had problems with either driver support or heat management... but it was mainly driver support that pushed me away. While A lot of people say it's really not a issue anymore.... once a bridge is burnt.... it stays burnt for me. While friends of mine were playing their games with no problems still months later after release I was still having problems killed it for me.

Still though if money is a issue when I do a new build in a few years and they keep pushing out products like they have here in the last year or so then I may be persuaded to jump ship again and call AMD my home.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, PNY GTX 780TI SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD updating to i7 shortly
Xbox live: tanis8585
#104KidInTheHallPosted 6/6/2014 5:12:00 PM
I don't hate AMD, just the people that use them.
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 780 Ti Dual Classified | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Samsung 830 128GB | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#105The_Count_FooPosted 6/6/2014 6:57:36 PM
I don't see why people care that much. I use AMD and they're great. Before I had this rig, I had Intel ati, then intel nvidia, amd nvidia, now amd amd. They all performed awesome. All I had to do was upgrade my bios to run the 8350 and I compete more with i7s at my CPU speed for a free bios upgrade, some overclocking, and $180.
---
Divided by night...
#106hellmasterpPosted 6/6/2014 8:01:54 PM
KamenRiderBlade posted...
BambooPandamo posted...
People have been saying this for YEARS. Because Intel isn't challenged they don't the need to further their R&D, which hurts everyone. I'm not going to buy AMD because I wanna support the little guy, I want the fastest and cheapest processor out there. AMD doesn't even have the price-performance title anymore.

Intel having a monopoly isn't something that's far ahead in the future, it's already here. AMD is on life support because they practically begged Sony and Microsoft to produce the garbage APUs on current generation consoles. That and price gouging cryptocurrencies newbies with $1,500 GPU mining kits.

Every day I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from buying AMD, it's my life's biggest regret. It's not just us that hate AMD, even their employees posted bitterly about the shifting leadership roles in the company (CEOs basically leaving the door every other month). The biggest failure being the Bulldozer saga, boy oh boy, what a saga.

If you don't want to support the little guy, that's your perogative.

Usually Fastest & Cheapest are at opposite ends of the spectrum, where on that spectrum do you lie, right in the middle, more towards fastest, more towards cheapest?

As far as price - performance, depends on what price budget you are willing to go by for the CPU / whole system.

We've all known Intel having a monopoly since way back in the day, even during AMD's performance reign, they still didn't have the market share. It doesn't help that Intel's Anti-competitive practices really affected AMD.

Sony / MS went to AMD asking for a APU, and their criteria was cost to produce, not raw performance. Blame Sony / MS for wanting to make cheap APU's that under perform instead of choosing a higher performing part. Please cast the proper blame where it should go.

As for crypto currency, that's US retailers hiking up prices because they realize they can price gouge for profits. Other regions didn't have this problem, only the US.

As for Bulldozer, yeah I can't agree with the direction they went there. They choose a future architecture style that people have to code around for instead of designing a CPU that boosts existing code's performance while having head room to grow.

Jerry Sanders: 1969 - 2002 (Founder)
Hector Ruiz: 2002 - Jul 2008
Dirk Meyer: Jul 2008 - Jan 2011
Rory Read: Aug, 2011 - current

Not exactly turbulent revolving door, your hyperbole is a bit much

The CEO bolded was the downfall of AMD competitive nature since he focused on pretty much nothing while he led. Dirk future thought with Bulldozer, but it didnt turn out how he wanted, and hopefully Read can get the company back to where it was before "Ruinz" took over.
---
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=557350 -my old mobo oc
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2341052 -current mobo oc
#107DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/7/2014 3:25:24 AM
KamenRiderBlade posted...
What I don't understand is why people want there to be only 1 CPU company to exist?

It's like they can't realize how bad the CPU world will get if Intel was left to it's own devices without any competition.

What we see now with the incremental performances on the "Tick-Tock" model, while impressive in it's own right having a consistant 5-15% increase release after release, is still a far cry from the leaps and bounds of improvement from when AMD was fiercely competing with Intel and AMD was on top at the time.

If the next major desktop CPU AMD releases is competitive with Intel, I gurantee you that Intel will release a product that offers a larger performance increase than their "Tick-Tock" model will offer.

Nobody wants Intel to be the only game in town, but coddling AMD and pretending they aren't complete garbage right now isn't going to make them clean up their act.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#108samuraigaidenPosted 6/7/2014 4:56:11 AM
People buy one brand and want to defend their purchase in order to feel good about themselves. This leads to fanboyism and dumb "Nintendoomed", "PC gaming is dead", etc., topics on GameFaqs.
#109BeatItUpRightPosted 6/7/2014 11:40:45 AM
Their GPU's can compete with Nvidia, you can usually get the same performance for much less in price.

I can absolutely see why people hate on the CPU's though, they are so far behind intel.
---
i7-2600k@4.2ghz | R9 290 OC | 8gb Ram | Evo 840 | 1tb Drive | 550w XFX CE
Total build cost:GBP 475 - 1080p for all games
#110Pengu1nPosted 6/7/2014 12:06:39 PM
BeatItUpRight posted...
Their GPU's can compete with Nvidia, you can usually get the same performance for much less in price.

I can absolutely see why people hate on the CPU's though, they are so far behind intel.

How? How are AMD CPU's 'so far behind' Intel? All i have seen to date is intel fanboys defending their purchases and constantly bashing not only AMD but the people who use their CPU's and/or GPU's.

I have owned my PC with it's AMD CPU and GPU since march of last year and i haven't had a thing go wrong with it. I am playing all my PC games at 1080p and the only crashes i have ever had was because of the firefox plugins crashing but since i switched to google chrome i haven't had one crash. But they way people are banging on it's as if AMD CPU's can't do anything that they can't even run minesweeper at 640x480 without crashing.

One of the things i hate the most is childish fanboys i have seen console fanboys rant on about how playstation 4 sucks or how xbox one sucks (even though they are pretty much the same console) yet the worst kind of fanboys i have seen are intel ones. Myself and most other people chose not to just do what everyone else does and chose to buy AMD i find it really sad and pathetic that some people bash AMD for no reason whatsoever.

I was around during the console wars in the 90's between Nintendo and Sega and all i heard was Nintendo sucks or Sega sucks yet most of the bashing came from people who had never played the other console. I had a SNES and i had a Megadrive both were awesome systems and both had their pro's and cons and both had some excellent exclusive games.

Both companies make very good CPU's AMD and nVidia make very good GPU's. So what if someone wants to buy AMD CPU's it's their choice what right do intel fanboys have in jumping down their throats for not buying intel. PC gamers are so called the 'master race' yet most are no different than console fanboys.
---
FX 6300, HYPER 212 EVO, 16GB DDR3, 7870 GHZ 2GB, 2TB HDD, 64 GB SATA III SSD, 12X BLU RAY, 750W PSU, X-FI FATAL1TY,WINDOWS 7