This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why the hate for AMD?

#21godplaysSNESPosted 6/5/2014 3:05:47 AM
AMD's CPUs are lackluster compared to Intel.
Their APUs are quite decent, but anyone intending to gaming will just get a discrete GPU anyway.

Driver wise, AMD has a bad history with OpenGL, and AMD stops supporting their older cards early.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#22Pengu1nPosted 6/5/2014 3:13:36 AM
iemerg_ posted...
Garage_Man posted...
When you want the best you'll pay. AMD has NO match for a water cooled overclocked to hell 4770K with a good board. AMD has NO match for a water cooled 780TI...they just don't.

Again..if you have the money you just get it. Kinda like how on my one PC I run RAID 0 SSDs and then a RAMDISK too. Sometimes you NEED the extra bit that AMD cannot deliver these days.

That and downsampling...that really is the breaking feature for me. I NEED that.

Ok how many people overclock, hell how many people water cool you talk like everyone spends $1000+ sure Intel/NVIDIA might be better to people with deep pockets but were talking price/peformance and when I see comparisons made and recommendations made that make no sense because people want to be fanboys I just want to know why...

I don't care what you run want to know why everyone is recommending an i3/750ti combo when an fx/r9 270 combo would be better...

I have no clue what half the crap you're saying means I just know I see numbers on paper and the numbers don't add up when AMD is better priced. I've ran aMD for years with no problems. Maybe Intel makes a better processor but you're paying almost twice as much for it. If I want to build a $600 PC I wouldn't pick intel/nvidia that's all I'm saying.

I saws one website do a performance test for watch_dogs on PC and they found that the 4770K was faster than the 8350 by a whole 3 FPS. Usually the way it goes is that AMD is faster at some stuff than Intel and vice versa but the times when intel is faster the FPS difference can be counted on one hand.
---
FX 6300, HYPER 212 EVO, 16GB DDR3, 7870 GHZ 2GB, 2TB HDD, 64 GB SATA III SSD, 12X BLU RAY, 750W PSU, X-FI FATAL1TY,WINDOWS 7
#23PharohofLaptopsPosted 6/5/2014 3:35:31 AM(edited)
Because it sucks?

What a stupid question.
#24DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/5/2014 3:38:43 AM
iemerg_ posted...
Just purchased a Sapphire R7 265 (came with $100 free games card) for $160 and the comparable 750TI has like 13% less performance... Also was looking at the FX line for CPU's and in comparison to the i5's and i7's they get notacably better performance in some gaming for a lot less...

so why does everyone trash talk AMD? been running them for YEARS and NVIDIA and I love them both. Sure AMD has a little bit worse driver compability but they have gotten better. I'm just wondering why people choose the 750ti over the r7 265 for the same price when the 265 craps on it.

Selective benchmark results can make AMD look great. Pick a very heavily threaded and amd-favorable benchmark, and WOW! This $200 AMD processor is as fast as a $350 intel processor! Amazing value! But then you play any CPU-limited game and it drops down to near-unplayable framerates when a $100 intel processor can handle it just fine.
It's a similar case for their GPUs because AMD's drivers are much more CPU heavy than nVidia's, to the point that vanilla DX11 on nVidia drivers can sometimes beat out AMD's own proprietary low-level GCN-only API in CPU limited scenarios.(which are usually where your lows are coming from anyway)

Basically, AMD is great where it doesn't matter, and sucks hard where it does.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#25BannedMomPosted 6/5/2014 3:59:21 AM
iemerg_ posted...
urtv posted...
now go run any game thats cpu heavy on 2 cores and watch amd cry

The regor runs 2 cores and actually competes with the i3 for less of a price? I don't see your point, AMD also has dual core processors that are quite good.

Because all dual cores are equal and MOAR GHZ MOAR POWER.
---
I5-4440 - Asrock H81M - Zotac 750Ti - CM N200 = Future Emulation and Gaming Build @ 1600 x 900
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.
#26Pengu1nPosted 6/5/2014 4:06:50 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
iemerg_ posted...
Just purchased a Sapphire R7 265 (came with $100 free games card) for $160 and the comparable 750TI has like 13% less performance... Also was looking at the FX line for CPU's and in comparison to the i5's and i7's they get notacably better performance in some gaming for a lot less...

so why does everyone trash talk AMD? been running them for YEARS and NVIDIA and I love them both. Sure AMD has a little bit worse driver compability but they have gotten better. I'm just wondering why people choose the 750ti over the r7 265 for the same price when the 265 craps on it.

Selective benchmark results can make AMD look great. Pick a very heavily threaded and amd-favorable benchmark, and WOW! This $200 AMD processor is as fast as a $350 intel processor! Amazing value! But then you play any CPU-limited game and it drops down to near-unplayable framerates when a $100 intel processor can handle it just fine.
It's a similar case for their GPUs because AMD's drivers are much more CPU heavy than nVidia's, to the point that vanilla DX11 on nVidia drivers can sometimes beat out AMD's own proprietary low-level GCN-only API in CPU limited scenarios.(which are usually where your lows are coming from anyway)

A lot of websites can (and do) show a lot of bias towards intel. Infact there was a lawsuit a while back where AMD was claiming that intel had been paying the developer of a software company to insert lines of code in their program so that if you ran it on an AMD system it would run like crap but would run just fine on an intel system.

This blog from 2009 shows a user who found intel's 'biased CPU dispatching' and back then suspicions were raised that Intel's shady tactics had made their way into various benchmarking programs.

http://www.agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=49#49
---
FX 6300, HYPER 212 EVO, 16GB DDR3, 7870 GHZ 2GB, 2TB HDD, 64 GB SATA III SSD, 12X BLU RAY, 750W PSU, X-FI FATAL1TY,WINDOWS 7
#27Lonestar2000Posted 6/5/2014 4:30:11 AM(edited)
Nvidia has better GPU drivers. Also, Intel performs better in games and uses less power.

---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#28KURRUPTORPosted 6/5/2014 5:30:02 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
iemerg_ posted...

I'm not saying AMD is better than intel in the cpu department but honestly what game is an 8350 going to drop your frame rate to "near un-playable"?

Also to TC: this board is blatantly Nvidia biased, like to the point of absurdity at times.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#29FoShoMyGansta20Posted 6/5/2014 5:32:21 AM
I only hate AMD because their Linux drivers suck.
#30SAfricanGamerPosted 6/5/2014 5:33:09 AM
AMD have lost the CPU war, they explicitly stated that they have no intention of competing with Intel at the High End market any more and instead they are focusing on price: performance ratio.

AMD GPU's however, are absolutely amazing.
---
I openly practise Theistic Satanism.
Do not let the word 'Satan' scare or anger you, the difference between Satanism and Theistic Satanism is light and day.