This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I bought a house, and i found a G74SX with no processor in the attic...

#1ZweizergainPosted 6/5/2014 7:37:58 AM
I recently bought a house, and while i was doing a deep cleaning to its attic, i found an Asus G74SX inside a box full of pc parts, and after open it to check if its complete, i found that it doesn't have a processor...

so my question is, what processor is recommended to buy it? a i7 2630qm as its native specs says or a better one?

Also, I'll be thankful if you can be serious as already have a dozen of friends that think that "i'm joking" and that "like it was possible find such a beast of computer in a random attic".

Sorry if bad English...
---
I am he who walks the path that deviates from man.
LoL: NA/Garm Whitefang WoW: RagnarosUS/Contristatio Steam: WizardInfinity
#2-SocksForWoks-Posted 6/5/2014 7:40:31 AM
It's probably haunted or something.
#3ShubPosted 6/5/2014 7:47:47 AM(edited)
It's best to get the CPU listed in the specs as there's no guarantee the motherboard will support anything else. It's possible it would support any CPU of the same series/generation as the i7-2630QM (i.e. Sandy Bridge quad core mobile CPUs), but not guaranteed.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4Zweizergain(Topic Creator)Posted 6/5/2014 7:54:45 AM
Shub posted...
It's best to get the CPU listed in the specs as there's no guarantee the motherboard will support anything else. It's possible it would support any CPU of the same series/generation as the i7-2630QM (i.e. Sandy Bridge quad core mobile CPUs), but not guaranteed.

so, a i7 3632QM will do?
---
#5ShubPosted 6/5/2014 7:55:53 AM(edited)
No, that's Ivy Bridge. While it's physically compatible, there's no guarantee the motherboard's firmware will accept it.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6Zweizergain(Topic Creator)Posted 6/5/2014 7:59:51 AM
*sigh* well, FML then...

brb gonna go to newegg/amazon/ebay and hope for the I7-2630QM...
---
#7zen_miseryPosted 6/5/2014 8:32:45 AM
It was like that for a reason.

Maybe the board is bad and the only thing worth saving was the cpu.
This was done by someone with enough knowledge to remove a cpu; I would do testing on the existing component before buying any parts.
---
http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu68/wizco02/onlyway_zps4d85ea83.gif
#8romsnbombsPosted 6/5/2014 8:36:32 AM
Yeah, I see there's only 2 bios been made for that, and neither make mention of support for ivy bridge or any other kind of CPU.

Like Shrub says, i7 2630QM or i5 2410M only 100% guaranteed to work.
---
A company that uses DRM is like a girlfriend who won't have sex with you, then she wonders why you had to go out and get a hooker
#9dementedlullabyPosted 6/5/2014 8:37:28 AM
zen_misery posted...
It was like that for a reason.

Maybe the board is bad and the only thing worth saving was the cpu.
This was done by someone with enough knowledge to remove a cpu; I would do testing on the existing component before buying any parts.

This.
---
The Imperial Truth is a Lie
#10SinisterSlayPosted 6/5/2014 8:39:20 AM
I have one, the board has died twice already (During warranty period). So the odds are good that's what happened.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence