This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Remember when people use to hate Steam?

#11El_KazPosted 6/6/2014 9:44:08 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
No, hardware failure does a good job of that.

If you're worried about long-term hardware failure, physical mediums are WAY more problematic than digital.
CD/DVD are expected to fail very often after 15-20 years of age, even in good storing conditions. Even worse for writable ones.
---
Wait... what?
#12AlavardPosted 6/6/2014 9:48:10 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
joemama1992 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
I still sort of do.
I wish PC gaming never got into this DRM hole.

Now its likely I could never play my games again in 50 years.
Whereas I can still pull out my old intelivision and play that.

Not a reason not to like steam. You are guaranteed your games if steam ever goes offline for good.

Because their servers will forever be available for download?

That's not a DRM issue. That's a digital download issue.

GoG doesn't have DRM, for example, but you still need to download the games from there.
---
Too much idiot, not enough savant.
#13TropicMoon10Posted 6/6/2014 9:51:01 AM
I started using Steam in 2011 so I can't say how it used to be.

I'm guessing internet speed was a big problem for Steam back in the mid 2000s when fast broadband was relatively uncommon. That's a big reason why I stuck with physical back then.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#14SefyrothPosted 6/6/2014 10:36:55 AM
http://i.imgur.com/U3J6vCO.gif
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kuro64
http://tf2b.com/tf2/item/76561197967620233/792398764
#15SinisterSlayPosted 6/6/2014 10:40:29 AM(edited)
Alavard posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
joemama1992 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
I still sort of do.
I wish PC gaming never got into this DRM hole.

Now its likely I could never play my games again in 50 years.
Whereas I can still pull out my old intelivision and play that.

Not a reason not to like steam. You are guaranteed your games if steam ever goes offline for good.

Because their servers will forever be available for download?

That's not a DRM issue. That's a digital download issue.

GoG doesn't have DRM, for example, but you still need to download the games from there.

GoG lets you download the installer. Steam does not.

Give this a try.
Use steam to backup your games.
Put a power drill through your hard drive (or just format it, whatever is easier)
Disconnect your internet.
Use your backups to reinstall your games (remember, the steam download is gone).

While you are trying to figure that out, the majority of disc based DRM free games continue to work.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#16KillerTrufflePosted 6/6/2014 10:46:57 AM
I remember when *I* used to hate Steam. And to be honest, when it started, it was basically a worthless pile of bloated, buggy crap. It had none of the convenience features it has today in terms of library management or the store.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#17matu90rkPosted 6/6/2014 10:51:31 AM
Well, Gaben said that in the unlikely case of Steam shutting down forever, they would let their users download their entire library in non-steam format.
#18Orestes417Posted 6/6/2014 10:51:46 AM
Yeah, not to mention near everyone was on dialup. Even now though, literally the only feature that keeps steam installed on my drive is being required for the games.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#19Orestes417Posted 6/6/2014 10:52:38 AM
matu90rk posted...
Well, Gaben said that in the unlikely case of Steam shutting down forever, they would let their users download their entire library in non-steam format.

They said they would try. It's not within their rights to make that call for anything but their own games.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.