This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help. Considering building a PC

#11BoomerTheGreat(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2014 11:43:13 AM
Nazcai posted...
Do you need keyboard/mouse and monitor too?

Yeah Im starting from the bottom no pun intended lol.
---
Greatness comes from within
#12BoomerTheGreat(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2014 11:44:48 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
BoomerTheGreat posted...
Lvthn posted...
So basically, we're starting from scratch with your entry into PC gaming? That's alright, everyone starts somewhere.

Price is the one thing everyone worries about; it's not nearly as bad as you may think, the "thing" is that the cost of a PC is pretty much exactly what you want it to be, so there's always the temptation to go just one better. Fortunately PCs are expandable and upgradable so even if you didn't get, say, an SSD today, you can get a few months from now with no real inconvenience. Parts also can carry over, especially things like your case, your HDDs, your memory (though with DDR4 on the horizon, maybe less so in the near future), peripherals, etc, saving you money in the future when you upgrade. $500 will get you a PC that will run at PS4 levels (which by PC standards, is not considered that great), $800-$1000 will get you an excellent PC that will stuff PS4, XBone, and WiiU into the same pipe and smoke them all for breakfast, nevermind that it will still do everything a PC does that a console doesn't.

Steam is just a game client/service and storefront. It does offer some nice features like free cloud, unlimited downloads, and free online, but of course it's most famous for its sales, easily among the best and most frequent in the entire industry. Steam alone is sometimes given as a justification for PC gaming because if you game a lot, you will save money and have many times the games as you would on console. All games bought on Steam are digital downloads, are lifetime purchases, and can be installed on any machine you own as many times as you like.

For picking parts, logicalincrements and pcpartspicker are great starting points, as is just general shopping on NewEgg or a similar website. NewEgg also has videos on youtube explaining how to build a gaming PC beginning to end, and videos for most PC components explaining how to pick the right part for you.

Thanks this helps. Yeah Im starting from scratch. The price of PC gaming did scare me because Ive heard horror stories about 2000$ gaming rigs. Another question is if I want good performance with graphics and fps is it mainly GPU and CPU?

Yes mostly.

In addition, hard drive affects load times.
RAM can affect speed but only if you run out. If you have enough, it runs good, if you run out it runs very bad.

If I got like a top of the line GPU and CPU and got decent parts elsewhere would it be a great gaming PC?
---
#13ShubPosted 6/6/2014 11:54:37 AM
Yes, but $1000 will not get you a top of the line GPU and CPU.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#14NazcaiPosted 6/6/2014 11:54:56 AM
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KZ66Bm
---
Asus Sabertooth X58 | MSI GTX 760 2gb | i7 950 @3.07GHz | Corsair 12gb 1600MHz | 1000W PSU | Crucial 128gb SSD | Ducky dk2108 | Logitech G500
#15NazcaiPosted 6/6/2014 11:56:24 AM
Nazcai posted...
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KZ66Bm

Found it on /r/buildapc subreddit seems pretty good.
---
Asus Sabertooth X58 | MSI GTX 760 2gb | i7 950 @3.07GHz | Corsair 12gb 1600MHz | 1000W PSU | Crucial 128gb SSD | Ducky dk2108 | Logitech G500
#16LvthnPosted 6/6/2014 12:01:31 PM
BoomerTheGreat posted...
Thanks this helps. Yeah Im starting from scratch. The price of PC gaming did scare me because Ive heard horror stories about 2000$ gaming rigs. Another question is if I want good performance with graphics and fps is it mainly GPU and CPU?

I have a ~$3200 PC, but I assure you it's not a horror story. I'm also not the norm and do not recommend other people build what I build unless they're sure they want that and decided on that themselves. If someone spent $2000 on a PC they aren't satisfied with, the problem is with them, not with PCs. It's an established fact that you get less return on investment at the high end, for some people it's still worth it, so long as it's an informed choice.

Also note that a PC that powerful isn't just "more powerful than a console," it's more powerful than the next generation of consoles is likely to be judging on 7th to 8th gen.

If you want good return on investment, I'd say yes, prioritize CPU and GPU. GPU gets you more of an improvement for your money, but CPUs tend to be replaced less often. There are a few ways to approach it, you'll have to decide which is right for you. But for a gaming PC, do not b***h out on the GPU, do not get some cheap piece of s**t, get a nice GPU, look at benchmarks before buying, and understand what it can and can't do. I've seen some guys get really freaked out that their $350 GPU doesn't get 60fps with ubersampling on, thinking that for that money of COURSE it will max everything out and the $1000 GPU is just for overkill, while at the same time forgetting that the minute they hit 1080p 60fps at any settings, they did better than a console. You certainly aren't getting ubersampling on XBone, and if you have a Wii U, apparently you aren't getting any AA at all.

Just as a starting point for you, you should probably consider a Haswell i5 CPU and a GTX 760 or 770 GPU, 8GB RAM, and a 550w PSU. A build with those basic parts should easily fit your budget and will far, far exceed anything you will see on console this gen.
#17BoomerTheGreat(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2014 2:58:26 PM
Ok sweet I am going to look into those parts.
---