This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

is dark souls 2 any good?

#21ShadowThaReaperPosted 6/6/2014 1:18:28 PM
steveboblarry posted...
Also not letting enemies respawn after a certain number of times they are killed, made no sense what so ever.

It's to keep you from farming.
#22KOTRwhoopsPosted 6/6/2014 1:20:00 PM
^^^ Fair points to both of you, but for me personally the level design has never been an issue for me with the DS games and the two things you highlighted have never even crossed my mind as a major issue.
---
PLAYING - LOZ: Link Between Worlds (3DS), Super Mario 3DW (WU), Final Fantasy XIV (PC)
PSN / XBL / NN - Robioto, STEAM - Robioto555
#23steveboblarryPosted 6/6/2014 1:22:21 PM(edited)
ShadowThaReaper posted...
steveboblarry posted...
Also not letting enemies respawn after a certain number of times they are killed, made no sense what so ever.

It's to keep you from farming.

but still why is it bad to farm? it was fun to do in demon/dark souls. I didn't hate dark souls 2 though it was a good game but, felt off for some reason. Also all the points that guy makes in the video I posted are pretty spot on.
---
IceJFish is the next drake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_d8VSM0nw
#24KOTRwhoopsPosted 6/6/2014 1:22:19 PM
steveboblarry posted...
KOTRwhoops posted...
DaedalusEx posted...
Decent game, bad Souls game.

As a person who has played all three extensively, I disagree. This is a great game and a great souls game, it's probably my favourite.

While it's obvious that not everyone will agree, what the majority will confirm that have played it, is that it's a very good game.

It's definitely a game that prompts mixed opinions but the fact is, most of them are positive. IMO, it's a must play if you are a fan of the genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI

Is this your video?
---
PLAYING - LOZ: Link Between Worlds (3DS), Super Mario 3DW (WU), Final Fantasy XIV (PC)
#25steveboblarryPosted 6/6/2014 1:22:59 PM
KOTRwhoops posted...
steveboblarry posted...
KOTRwhoops posted...
DaedalusEx posted...

As a person who has played all three extensively, I disagree. This is a great game and a great souls game, it's probably my favourite.

While it's obvious that not everyone will agree, what the majority will confirm that have played it, is that it's a very good game.

It's definitely a game that prompts mixed opinions but the fact is, most of them are positive. IMO, it's a must play if you are a fan of the genre.

Is this your video?

naw not me, some dude I found while browsing through youtube
---
IceJFish is the next drake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_d8VSM0nw
#26TheLastOfCrustPosted 6/6/2014 1:40:25 PM
Favorite Souls game, cool lore and battles. Level design is fine if you don't care about porting places. Even though you can teleport via bonfires pretty much from the start the game is lengthy and first playthrough was about 45 hours.

Demon's Souls will always be my favorite just because it was so unique at the time, but DS2 is a better game.
#27DaedalusExPosted 6/6/2014 2:09:53 PM(edited)
therickmu25 posted...
Can somebody elaborate a little more?

-World design is bland, isn't thematically or geographically cohesive, little use of shortcuts
-Most areas consist of linear corridors that ultimately lead to a warp-out bonfire
-Progression is more linear, with only 2 areas being available at the start, and the second half the game being a complete straight shot
-Overabundance of bonfires and ability to warp from the start kills off tension
-Inclusion of consumable healing items and regen ring diminish health management, it's very rare to run out of healing, further kills off tension
-Overuse of multi-enemy encounters and bosses, doesn't mesh well with combat mechanics and encourages you to exploit the AI
-Overuse of humanoid bosses that have similar movesets
-Too many NPCs, most are underdeveloped and have little personality, only exist to serve player
-Story and lore lack inspiration, uninteresting
-First half of game is quest to navigate a bit of rubble
-Soundtrack lacks the diversity of the first game, isn't as memorable

Some of these are more subjective then others, but those are the big things. There's all sorts of little things like enemies despawning, items that introduce chance based mechanics to combat, enemies that inexplicably cannot be stunned, having to go through two load screens to level up etc.
#28Dark_SpiretPosted 6/6/2014 2:08:44 PM
yes its good and yes its worth playing. no its not as good as the other souls games, but even a bad game in that series is still better than most stuff out.
---
Currently playing: Wolfenstein TNO - Transistor - Dishonored
#29KOTRwhoopsPosted 6/6/2014 2:10:26 PM(edited)
steveboblarry posted...
KOTRwhoops posted...
steveboblarry posted...
KOTRwhoops posted...
DaedalusEx posted...

Is this your video?

naw not me, some dude I found while browsing through youtube

Thanks for that link, it was a really good watch. The main thing I took from that is that it makes me want to go back and play Dark Souls 1 again!

I do think the video was far too nit picky with the story and lore. Story is normally one of the biggest pulls in a game for me, I love story, it's massive, may favourite games of all time are nearly all heavily story driven and linear.

It's funny to hear myself say this, but the story and lore is bottom of the pile for me with the DS games, it's all about the gameplay. So those criticisms for me personally had little effect on my enjoyment of all three games. But I do understand not everyone is with me here.

It did make some great points though and rejigged some of my WTF have they done that for moments in my first playthrough. Particularly the way the levels link together and the geography and how the vistas fail to display what is actually beyond them. Also in hindsight I guess the bosses were less inspired then the previous two games.

Overall it was a good watch, when I was it was 48 minutes I nearly didn't bother. But I did and it gave me and insight and more respect to the people with negative opinions, even if to be perfectly honest they didn't effect my personal enjoyment of the game.
---
#30AlleRacingPosted 6/6/2014 2:49:10 PM
DaedalusEx posted...
therickmu25 posted...
Can somebody elaborate a little more?

-World design is bland, isn't thematically or geographically cohesive, little use of shortcuts
-Most areas consist of linear corridors that ultimately lead to a warp-out bonfire
-Progression is more linear, with only 2 areas being available at the start, and the second half the game being a complete straight shot
-Overabundance of bonfires and ability to warp from the start kills off tension
-Inclusion of consumable healing items and regen ring diminish health management, it's very rare to run out of healing, further kills off tension
-Overuse of multi-enemy encounters and bosses, doesn't mesh well with combat mechanics and encourages you to exploit the AI
-Overuse of humanoid bosses that have similar movesets
-Too many NPCs, most are underdeveloped and have little personality, only exist to serve player
-Story and lore lack inspiration, uninteresting
-First half of game is quest to navigate a bit of rubble
-Soundtrack lacks the diversity of the first game, isn't as memorable

Some of these are more subjective then others, but those are the big things. There's all sorts of little things like enemies despawning, items that introduce chance based mechanics to combat, enemies that inexplicably cannot be stunned, having to go through two load screens to level up etc.

I have to agree with nearly all these criticisms. That said, I still think Dark Souls 2 is a very good game, and I think I actually prefer it to the first game despite those criticisms.

My biggest grievance with Dark Souls 2 is the world design. I feel that the individual areas are well made, for the most part. Some are a little on the short side and barely serve as meaningful areas, but I liked the vast majority of them, most even a little more than the first game, though nothing holds a candle to The Painted World of Ariamis. The bonfire placement was a pretty big issue for me, there's just too many of them for most areas, and the teleportation from the start I feel really limited the application of shortcuts. Even the shortcuts that are in the game don't really offer that much. One in particular that seemed really pointless was the shortcut between the first and second bonfires in Hunstmans Copse. After unlocking the shortcut, they are ridiculously close together. The first fire could have just been moved up slightly and the second one removed entirely. Finally, my biggest issue with the world design is how the different areas fit together. Dark Souls 1 had the areas fit together near seamlessly, with zero overlap, and neat things like being able to see the dome of Lost Izalith from Tomb of the Giants. The only strike against this world design is Ash Lake, being a huge expanse of water and arch trees in every direction after seemingly descending to the base of one tree which had been poking through a swamp, itself below a very large, walled city. A lot of areas in Dark Souls 2 are significantly worse than Ash Lake with their world bending. Heide's Tower of Flame is the first example. As seen from Majula, it is way out in the ocean, yet you travel through a fairly short tunnel and you're there. Then from Heide's Tower, you take an elevator well below sea level, and wind up in a cove still well above the water line. Most egregious is the transition from Earthen Peak, an windmill at the base of a fairly small mountain with nothing notable behind it, and after Earthen Peak you ascend in an elevator to above where the aforementioned mountain would be, and end up in a very large fortress sunken in a vast field of lava, with its own surrounding mountains. Going from very congruous level design in Dark Souls 1 to this was quite annoying.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg