This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

is dark souls 2 any good?

#41CaliberChampPosted 6/6/2014 4:33:56 PM
For the 100th time. Yes, both Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2 is bad, same with Demon Souls. They are lackluster and are devoid of any real challenge despite what the marketing label says. In other words... the game is a lie.
---
Recommended games: Guild Wars 2, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Batman Arkham city
Terrible games: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Diablo 3, Gone Home, EVE Online.
#42capgamerPosted 6/6/2014 4:37:26 PM
I love all the Souls games... and I think they all offer something a bit different. Here is my take:

Demon's Souls - Most linear of the Souls games, with the most coherent story and best overall atmosphere. I think precisely because it's so linear is why they were able to make some really horrifying, atmospheric stages like the Tower of Latria. It doesn't have a lot of the options that later games in the series have as far as weapons, magic, and tactics... but it does have a charm that was never quite duplicated.

Weapons also have the best feeling in this game when hitting something... that's kind of a vague sort of praise to level at it, but the Dark Souls games never quite had the same "impact" to your weapon hits.

Dark Souls - Infinitely replayable. That's how I'd describe Dark Souls. It added so many gameplay options, really differentiated the weapons from each other, and added a huge, explorable world. It plays like one colossal dungeon crawl, and if I had any complaints it'd be that the end game is overly linear and feels a little bit unfinished.

Dark Souls 2 - The longest, and IMO hardest game in the series... the world building has taken a dive from Dark Souls, but the progression through the areas themselves is more entertaining, at least on a first playthrough. Less replayable to me than Dark Souls due to the more linear nature of progression, but I like the increased challenge and I like the ability to dual wield.

My personal ranking is:
Dark Souls > Demon's Souls = Dark Souls 2
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#43CaliberChampPosted 6/6/2014 4:42:07 PM
Also, another tip. Don't listen to anyone's opinion here on GameFaqs they are too biased, especially the Dark Souls boards.
---
Recommended games: Guild Wars 2, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Batman Arkham city
Terrible games: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Diablo 3, Gone Home, EVE Online.
#44ShadowThaReaperPosted 6/6/2014 4:42:42 PM
capgamer posted...
Dark Souls - Infinitely replayable. That's how I'd describe Dark Souls. It added so many gameplay options, really differentiated the weapons from each other, and added a huge, explorable world.

It's Demon's Souls with an interconnected world. That's it.

This is why I hate you people. You act so pretentious about it.

Demon's Souls - Most linear of the Souls games

How does that even make sense? After the very beginning, you have like 5 places you can immediately go to.
#45KOTRwhoopsPosted 6/6/2014 4:46:16 PM
CaliberChamp posted...
For the 100th time. Yes, both Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2 is bad, same with Demon Souls. They are lackluster and are devoid of any real challenge despite what the marketing label says. In other words... the game is a lie.

How much of the three games have you honestly played to come to that conclusion? I'm not having a go or trying to rile you, just an honest question.
---
PLAYING - LOZ: Link Between Worlds (3DS), Super Mario 3DW (WU), Final Fantasy XIV (PC)
PSN / XBL / NN - Robioto, STEAM - Robioto555
#46capgamerPosted 6/6/2014 4:46:38 PM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
capgamer posted...
Dark Souls - Infinitely replayable. That's how I'd describe Dark Souls. It added so many gameplay options, really differentiated the weapons from each other, and added a huge, explorable world.

It's Demon's Souls with an interconnected world. That's it.

This is why I hate you people. You act so pretentious about it.

Demon's Souls - Most linear of the Souls games

How does that even make sense? After the very beginning, you have like 5 places you can immediately go to.

Uh... okay, that's a needlessly hostile response to my post. But it's late on a Friday, so I'll assume you're just feeling cranky.

Anyway:
The difference between the world of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls (and, to a lesser extent, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2) is that in Dark Souls, the way the world is connected makes sense and has a natural progression. Demon's Souls is in effect a series of warp pipes to the different levels. Dark Souls 2 makes no geographical sense at all.

World-building is important to me, as it immerses me in the game. The nice thing about Dark Souls is that it allowed you do some pretty awesome sequence breaking at times... something that really isn't true for the other two games which were more linear.
---
The man keeps us down
#47AdalwulfyPosted 6/6/2014 4:59:26 PM
Demon's Souls wasn't really linear either...

Thing is, Demon's plays more like a Super Mario 64, to Dark Souls' Ocarina of Time.

...now excuse me, I need to get my N64 out.
---
Favorite RPGs of all time: Phantasy Star IV, Lunar EBC, Baldur's Gate SoA, FFVI, DQV&VII, Fallout 2, Tales of Rebirth, LoH Series.
#48darkdragon_9600Posted 6/6/2014 5:04:54 PM
I had fun with DkS2. And I'm having a hard time enjoying most things.

So that says something.
---
>.>
#49capgamerPosted 6/6/2014 5:53:39 PM
Adalwulfy posted...
Demon's Souls wasn't really linear either...

Thing is, Demon's plays more like a Super Mario 64, to Dark Souls' Ocarina of Time.

...now excuse me, I need to get my N64 out.

Yep, that's a good way to describe it. Demon's Souls is choosing levels with a peaceful hub area, Dark Souls is exploring a world.
---
The man keeps us down
#50UltraCookiePosted 6/6/2014 6:25:59 PM
They're all great games, but one thing Dark Souls 2 did much worse in my opinion: bosses. They're incredibly easy in general, let alone in comparison to Dark Souls 2.