This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People complaining about hard drive space and ram. (wall of text)

#11urtvPosted 6/6/2014 4:31:24 PM
next up,developers will start developing more unoptimized games requiring an i7 just to install
#12MarikhenPosted 6/6/2014 4:33:08 PM
Isn't it plausible that if you don't compress your textures as much as possible that it would be easier/faster for your game engine to load and display them? I'm not suggesting this as an excuse for games that are bloated for no purposeful reason, but it strikes me that the fewer CPU resources you have to devote to decompressing textures, especially if they're loaded on the fly, the more CPU resources you have available for other, arguably more important, tasks.

As for RAM consumption, if I play a game within the next 5 years that actually uses over 4GB for any realistic length of time and without resorting to multi-boxing I'll be surprised. Progression in how much RAM video games make use of is just as stagnant as progression in how many cores/CPUs games take advantage of. Simply put, there really hasn't been any in almost a decade.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#13Zorlac(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2014 4:36:14 PM
romsnbombs posted...
Zorlac posted...
Ram is the same thing. I've seen people complaining that dead rising 3 requires 6gb of ram.

What annoys me more is that people simply will not open up a RAM graph and see how much physical memory a game is actually using in the real world.

Staggeringly, people still seem to think that a game will perform better on 32GB of RAM, than it will on 16GB. When in the real world, 8GB gives you plenty of headroom, and a person like me could actually just about scrape by on 4GB

You can right now, but for how much longer? Dead Rising store page on steam says 6gb required, so there's a game you can't play with 4. How much longer do you think 4 will last you before you can't even play indies?
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/Zorlac0666 Please subscribe!!
Xbox live Zorlac0666 Xfire-Zorlac666. Steam-Zorlac666 3DS 1075-1487-9342
#14datopgamerPosted 6/6/2014 4:41:38 PM
Zorlac posted...
romsnbombs posted...
Zorlac posted...
Ram is the same thing. I've seen people complaining that dead rising 3 requires 6gb of ram.

What annoys me more is that people simply will not open up a RAM graph and see how much physical memory a game is actually using in the real world.

Staggeringly, people still seem to think that a game will perform better on 32GB of RAM, than it will on 16GB. When in the real world, 8GB gives you plenty of headroom, and a person like me could actually just about scrape by on 4GB

You can right now, but for how much longer? Dead Rising store page on steam says 6gb required, so there's a game you can't play with 4. How much longer do you think 4 will last you before you can't even play indies?

By that time ddr4 will be standard.
---
Brought to you by GameFlux
Free GameFAQs app on Google Play!
#15GwendalPosted 6/6/2014 4:46:47 PM(edited)
Even if huge harddrives are affordable, some people want to put their games on SSDs, which still have fairly limited space unless you put down a lot of money. Another point is that a huge install size probably translates to a huge download size, and there's still plenty of people who don't have great Internet connections/are stuck with data caps/etc.
---
Currently playing:
Dragon Age 2 (PC)
#16SneakiestNegPosted 6/6/2014 4:59:41 PM
Use 150 SSD as internal. Normal 2 TB as external.
Does anyone know why the hell games on PC are so un optimised? TLOU on ps3 uses less than 1 giga of ram.
Personally games do not get better if they need more ram.
#17Zorlac(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2014 5:07:42 PM
Gwendal posted...
Even if huge harddrives are affordable, some people want to put their games on SSDs, which still have fairly limited space unless you put down a lot of money. Another point is that a huge install size probably translates to a huge download size, and there's still plenty of people who don't have great Internet connections/are stuck with data caps/etc.

Then your making the choice to have low HD space on purpose and don't have a lot of room for complaint. Comparative to the price SSD for gaming still isn't the best option.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/Zorlac0666 Please subscribe!!
Xbox live Zorlac0666 Xfire-Zorlac666. Steam-Zorlac666 3DS 1075-1487-9342
#18KidInTheHallPosted 6/6/2014 5:13:41 PM
I'm not too worried about HDD space and I'm definitely not worried about RAM.
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 780 Ti Dual Classified | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Samsung 830 128GB | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#19PhilOnDezPosted 6/6/2014 5:16:40 PM
Marikhen posted...
Isn't it plausible that if you don't compress your textures as much as possible that it would be easier/faster for your game engine to load and display them? I'm not suggesting this as an excuse for games that are bloated for no purposeful reason, but it strikes me that the fewer CPU resources you have to devote to decompressing textures, especially if they're loaded on the fly, the more CPU resources you have available for other, arguably more important, tasks.

While that is true there's also the flipside that if you have compressed textures and CPU power to spare (which is the case in most multiplats, especially Titanfall) then you'll be better off because the textures will be read/loaded faster with no time lost on decompression. Textures that load on the fly would be the ones that would benefit/be hurt most by the compression, depending on the user's system.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#20romsnbombsPosted 6/6/2014 5:19:44 PM
Zorlac posted...
Dead Rising store page on steam says 6gb required, so there's a game you can't play with 4.

See, you're doing it now. You're doing just what I said people are doing wrong.

Have you actually opened a RAM graph to see how much memory the game is actually using?
---
2600k | GTX 780 | P8P67-M Pro | 8GB