This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How can I improve my wi-fi speeds?

#1LinkinLawgPosted 6/6/2014 6:56:52 PM
I put my router in a central location in the house. I ran a speed test next to the router with wireless, I was only getting about 3 down. I plugged in a wire to the router then I got 16.5 down. I don't think there should be that huge of a difference. I got a Linksys AC router. Is there something wrong with my router?
---
PSN: LinkinLawg - PS3 & PS4
Not changing this sig until I feel like it
#2drfirepantsPosted 6/6/2014 7:18:22 PM
I've only had one linksys router...it was an AC one also. Brought it back after a day of use. It was horrible, constant dropped connections and I think I was getting around 3 down as well. Bought a netgear, good solid connection and I get close to the 70Mbps I pay for.
#3DRAGON07891230Posted 6/6/2014 7:43:55 PM
Sounds like it. I mean, wired is always better than wireless but 16.5 -> 3 seems fishy from my armchair.
---
Posted using GameFlux
Get it now for Android from Google Play!
#4drinkPosted 6/6/2014 7:48:44 PM
Make sure the router has the latest firmware update
Return it if you can.
You can also try a speed test on another computer, changing to N or G, or trying another channel.
---
You didn't try google, you made that up...
Twist those dirty bags - Shake
#5LinkinLawg(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2014 8:54:55 PM
I updated the firmware, factory restored it, changed many settings, still no dice. I bought this router last Black Friday and I bought a 2 year warranty on it. After looking at reviews, this router appears to be junk. Will Best Buy just give me the store credit I paid for it at the sale price? Or will they give me the full price of the router? Or would I just be able to exchange it for the exact same router? If they only give me store credit for the sale price, then reccommend me a good $60 router. Normally this router is $120.
---
#6lightpeakPosted 6/6/2014 10:08:17 PM
It could more than likely be because your AC WiFi router isn't really AC WiFi to begin with this is because AC WIFi specification was only finalized early this year on January, the same thing happened to the Wireless N specification before it was finalized. What this basically means is that any product that use such specification only have a 'pre-specification' (non-final) will produce varying results compared to the final specification of the same product.

I remembered there was tons of network hardware manufacturers out there that released pre-Wireless N long before the actual Wireless N was finalized and there was tons of disclaimer by the manufacturer themselves.
#7LinkinLawg(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2014 6:30:28 AM
I'm going to try to trade my router for a different one.
---
#8LinkinLawg(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2014 3:05:19 PM
I got a new router today and it's alot faster. Linksys is garabge now since Belkin bought them.
---
#9hitokiri13Posted 6/7/2014 3:34:47 PM
We been upgrading Starbucks with Aruba AP 105 with POE. I get speeds of Comcast's 50 - 20 mbps outside and inside the store. Trust me my house I hardly get 3 mbps. I love 20 mbps on my phone's wifi

Great thing about POE is you don't need to run power line. So you can install it like a smoke detector.

The AP105 cost 500 USD which is not affordable for me.
---
Originally Posted by Manicdan
using a OCed quad for torrenting is like robbing your local video store with a rocket launcher.
#10watertankPosted 6/7/2014 4:42:42 PM
Use wired, if you can't...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZk0ksn0Yak
---
PSN: watertankk
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t92/muttley1211/bug.gif