This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Playing DVDs and Blurays legally in Windows 8.1

#1darkmaian23Posted 6/6/2014 9:57:20 PM
After examining the options, it seems like all I can expect to reasonably choose from is PowerDVD or Total Media Theater. I built my own PC some time ago and my drive didn't come with any software for playing movies. Now that my PC has been resurrected from the dead I'm running Windows 8.

Can anyone give me advice? One of my concerns is that I just want the software to play movies. I know DRM is an issues no matter what player you go with, but I don't want software that does anything weird. Everything I do and watch is on my computer is completely above board, but I really don't care for spyware or incredibly intrusive programs.

Thanks to all who post advice! I apologize if I come across as a bit paranoid---I once had Nero installed and don't want to get burned on another multimedia product. x.x
#2Black_King945Posted 6/6/2014 10:05:49 PM
VLC media player is free and plays DVDs, as far as blu-ray movies go PowerDVD is the biggest name in town.
---
i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB Gskill | Asus 660ti | Seasonic 500W
#3darkmaian23(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2014 10:43:55 PM
Black_King945 posted...
VLC media player is free and plays DVDs.

Thank you for your response. But aren't the codecs used by VLC technically illegal in the US? I was under the impression that there licensing fees involved for legal use and that that is why Microsoft stopped including DVD playback capability with Windows 8.
#4TheMadTokerPosted 6/6/2014 11:38:02 PM
but no one is going to care, why should you?
---
"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!" ~Murphy
http://www.tserverweb.com/terraria-server/2410-stoneys-1241-server-of-death-247/
#5castrejon04Posted 6/6/2014 11:38:09 PM
People still use VLC? Try CCCP with madvr filter for best video quality.
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#6betatechPosted 6/7/2014 12:03:40 AM
I think MS sell the DVD codec for WMP somewhere, but not for BDs.

The only 100% legal option AFAIK is to buy something like TMT, PDVD or anything similar.

However, it may be cheaper to just buy a new drive if it comes with the software, many years ago I got PDVD8 with my BD drive and have been getting free upgrades to newer versions when they drop support for older ones which would otherwise mean I couldn't watch newer BD releases (I don't know what TMT is like in this department).
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
#7darkmaian23(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2014 11:01:13 AM
Between PowerDVD and Total Media Theater, which is better?
#8AnatomyHorrorPosted 6/7/2014 11:04:40 AM
I love TotalMedia Theatre. It gets my vote.
#9ShubPosted 6/7/2014 11:11:12 AM
I don't have a Blu-Ray drive and I've never compared PowerDVD and TotalMedia Theatre, but I always hear the latter is the recommended one, so there. In my experience (before Blu-Ray times), PowerDVD was always a bloated piece of poop, so there, again.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#10The cranky hermitPosted 6/7/2014 11:23:03 AM
People still use VLC? Try CCCP with madvr filter for best video quality.

Fancy filters are stupid. You can't magically create "quality" that isn't there to begin with. The true way to get the best quality is to manipulate the video as little as you can. Basic upscaling is fine, anything beyond that is most likely compromising your picture quality.

And VLC does the job just fine in that regard. For DVDs anyway.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!