This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Graphics Cards mounted upside down?

#1roytecxPosted 6/7/2014 12:34:07 AM
Just a quick one. Got a new gaming rig earlier this year, then decided to upgrade the card myself (Radeon R7 250 to R9 270X).

2 things I noticed during installation:

A. Card was mounted to PCI facing downwards. Is this normal? Just curious.

B. New card is longer than old card. After slotting it in, noticed it sags slightly even after I screwed in tightly. Also, sometimes when it ramps up in speed I hear it vibrating in the case. Other than that, it runs fine.

Do they do cases where the Graphics Card faces upwards? Thanks in advance.
---
The west = as close to realistic as possible, Japan = as far away from realistic as possible
My PSN: roytecx
#2castrejon04Posted 6/7/2014 12:36:51 AM
Yes, everything is normal. That's just how it is. I'm guessing you don't know much about computer hardware.
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#3roytecx(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2014 12:55:49 AM
Thanks. Yeah, I'm only just recently jumping from console into PC gaming. Still learning stuff, but its fascinating you know? All screen res and frame rates! Woot!
---
The west = as close to realistic as possible, Japan = as far away from realistic as possible
#4LvthnPosted 6/7/2014 12:57:52 AM
Really, man? You just explained how the GPU mounts and why it looks like it's "upside down" and you're asking if a CASE is going to change that? Like what, mounting the whole mobo upside down, and to the opposite side, just sticking all your ports down there at the bottom?.

Why buy one of those cases, glue feet to the top of the one you have and just turn your whole rig upside down. That way the GPUs are rightside up.

As a bonus, this will shake loose the dust in the case, maybe some of it will even get exhausted out.
#5AlleRacingPosted 6/7/2014 1:05:03 AM
Most cases will have the video card's fans orientated downward, though this depends on the case. My case has them point sideways, toward the front of the case. Some have the fans point upward.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#6Lemur_HPosted 6/7/2014 1:10:04 AM
Mine has them pointing to the left.

Depends on the case.
#7chris121691Posted 6/7/2014 1:33:12 AM
Mine has them suspended vertically in mid air.
#8gamefaqwatcherPosted 6/7/2014 2:09:46 AM
Mine just sit loose at the bottom of the case.
---
You're the hero Gamefaqs deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
#9roytecx(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2014 2:06:29 AM
On further research, turns out Graphics Card Sag (I'm gonna call this GCS for short) is quite a common thing especially with larger cards.

I've read some people use chopsticks to prop their cards up if they sag. Funny, eh? Learn something new everyday...
---
#10MadPinoRagePosted 6/8/2014 2:12:24 AM
I usually just have little gnomes casting magic to make the graphics on my games looks amazing, and they have a little fan that blows on them facing to the left.
---
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein