This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do any of you appreciate consoles?

#41TheNoctariusPosted 6/7/2014 9:04:04 AM
Somewhat. PS3 (and PS4 in the future) for their jrpg exclusives. I also liked the inFamous series, honestly.
And back in 2009, I even bought an Xbox 360 for the sole purpose of playing Tales of Vesperia.
---
GT: dead because of stupid M$ policy. Forgot my PSN. I don't care anymore, PC Master race!
#42lazycomplifePosted 6/7/2014 9:13:17 AM
Of course, my Wii U is awesome. I also like consoles for JRPGs, which is probably my favorite genre.
---
Official Swinub - 3DS Friend Code: 0602-6783-9027
Nintendo ID: Sythierius
#43BogePosted 6/7/2014 9:13:46 AM
I can't say I appreciate the consoles themselves. I appreciate some of the exclusive games that are on the consoles. I couldn't care less if those consoles didn't even exist if I could have the games on the PC.

But yes, I always own a couple of the consoles at least. Gotta have my Uncharted.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#44SilbePosted 6/7/2014 9:42:16 AM
The fact that if it was not for consoles pc gamers would actually need to spend like $400+ on hardware every year. Thanks for slowing the march, my wife appreciates it.

This is so true. Every time I hear people lamenting about how consoles hold back the industry, I want to hit my head against a wall. Especially if something like that is said shortly after those same people complain that "insert medium hardware requirement game" only runs at 30 fps on med for them, and a new graphics card would be too costly at the moment. <_<
---
Steam/PSN:mezzokakerlake/Petz/Lv200/Fighter
Neu:______mezzokakerlake2/Heiji/Lv38/Mage
#45InTheEyesOfFirePosted 6/7/2014 10:01:25 AM
samurai1900 posted...
Yes, I appreciate games.

---
I should not walk so a child may live
Currently playing; D3, Dark Messiah Might & Magic, TDM
#46SampsonMPosted 6/7/2014 10:11:43 AM
I for one enjoy my Wii U when I have company over. You'd be shocked how many people in college are happy to come to someones house and play Nintendo games. It's great for multiple people to sit back and have stupid fun.

Take your laptop and hook it to your TV with an HDMI cable. Buy an Xbox 360 wireless controller with a PC receiver USB adapter (or wait until one comes out for the Xbone controller). Get an extra X360 controller or two. Put steam in big picture and bam! It's like having a co-op console. Granted, you won't get Nintendo games, but there are many titles that are fun for house party situations -- Sonic/Sega All Stars Racing, Castle Crashers, Dungeon Defenders, Guacamelee, the Lego games, Rayman, etc. etc. And all of these games can be purchased for a fraction of what Nintendo charges (on steam sales).

Anyway, yes I enjoy consoles. Right now, I have a Wii U, Xbox One, and PS3 hooked up to my TV, alongside my HTPC.

The problem is that as time goes on, consoles are becoming more like PCs, losing the advantages they once had. For the longest time, consoles were just plug and play -- whereas with PC, you had to install a game fiddle with the settings, install patches etc. Now consoles have the same issues. The only thing keeping me tied to consoles is exclusives.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#47SampsonMPosted 6/7/2014 10:14:58 AM
Silbe posted...
The fact that if it was not for consoles pc gamers would actually need to spend like $400+ on hardware every year. Thanks for slowing the march, my wife appreciates it.

This is so true. Every time I hear people lamenting about how consoles hold back the industry, I want to hit my head against a wall. Especially if something like that is said shortly after those same people complain that "insert medium hardware requirement game" only runs at 30 fps on med for them, and a new graphics card would be too costly at the moment. <_<

This is not true whatsoever.

Look at Blizzard's games. The vast majority of them have been PC exclusive, but they've never pushed the envelope too much on graphical power. If they sold games that required settings that few gamers had, they wouldn't have any customers. Look at DOTA 2, or League of Legends. Typically, PC games are designed to run on the typical 3 year old PC. There are a few companies that push as hard as they can, but for the most part, PC exclusives are not designed with the expectation that everyone has the latest hardware.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#48IpsylosPosted 6/7/2014 10:15:59 AM
djprofessork1 posted...
The only reason I buy consoles is for exclusive games, so basically they're Gouging us, forcing us to buy these crap systems.
I just wish every game was on pc.

I wouldn't wish that, then the companies have a monopoly on the gaming market and can charge whatever they'd like to because you can't buy/play them anywhere else.
---
I don't care honestly. I already pay to get the free games each month.
- unltimategamerf
#49SampsonMPosted 6/7/2014 10:26:08 AM
Ipsylos posted...
djprofessork1 posted...
The only reason I buy consoles is for exclusive games, so basically they're Gouging us, forcing us to buy these crap systems.
I just wish every game was on pc.

I wouldn't wish that, then the companies have a monopoly on the gaming market and can charge whatever they'd like to because you can't buy/play them anywhere else.

Uh...no.

The PC is an open platform. Consoles are closed. This is why PC games are a fraction of the price of console games.

Now, if there was only one storefront -- like the Windows Store, or Amazon or Steam, and no competition, then yes. This could be an issue. But as it stands it would better for everyone all games were PC games.
---
#50The cranky hermitPosted 6/7/2014 10:46:38 AM(edited)
Anyone who says "the companies have a monopoly" either doesn't understand what a monopoly is, or doesn't understand what plural means.

Having multiple platforms doesn't increase competition among game companies regardless. If I release my game on every platform, I don't need to check the price of the XBone version to be competitive with the PS4 version. I own both versions - I can make them cost whatever I want anyway! Yeah, other market factors keep the price in check somewhat, but the fact that I can make it be available on all of the platforms isn't one of them.

Only bad things come of consoles now. Because there are boxes which serve no purpose except to play games, and don't do it as well as boxes that can do anything, I can make a game and deny it to anyone who doesn't have the right box, even if they own a much better one. And once that box is obsolete and replaced by a newer one, you won't be able to play it on the new one any more. I can pull the plug on my game sooner than that if it suits me.

But if there were no consoles, everyone would have a PC, and everyone would be able to play every game. *THAT* would promote competition, because every game would have to compete with every other game ever made. As it stands, Uncharted 4 would only have to compete with a few dozen PS4 games.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!