This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Planning a new build with DDR4 in mind. Got a few questions

#1BassHunterXXXPosted 6/7/2014 6:35:30 AM
Im pre-planning the next big upgrade for my PC. Built it 3 years ago with average power parts so this time Im planning to upgrade to max. Also, I use my computer for way more things than just gaming so extra Ram power is important to me.

When will CPU/Motherboard compatible DDR4 parts come out? I assume we are still on haswell so that means Broadwell then skylake?

Any new technology between broadwell/Skylake?

In your opinion, Say if you had maximum patience, When would be the perfect time to do a full upgrade?
#2PhilOnDezPosted 6/7/2014 6:42:43 AM
The first round of Haswell E boards are rumored to have dual DDR3/DDR4 support, pretty sure DDR4 support is confirmed.

If you need the CPU horsepower a six core Haswell would likely be worth it for you, providing 'way more than just gaming' means you're making money off of the work you do with your system and could make more if you finished even faster. If that's the case then even the 8 core would probably be worth it since x79 parts have always paid for themselves very quickly when fully utilized (though I think Haswell E will use X99)
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#3LordSeiferPosted 6/7/2014 6:48:15 AM
dance dance revolution for pc?
---
^ this
#4romsnbombsPosted 6/7/2014 8:15:34 AM
Is DDR4 twice as fast for same clockspeed as DDR3?

Even if it is, you will only get 10% increase in CPU related performance going from DDR3 to DDR4.

And anyway, you can already double memory bandwidth on DDR3 with quad channel on sandy/ivy-E boards
---
2600k | GTX 780 | P8P67-M Pro | 8GB