This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Where is the F2P version of Defiance on Steam? Do I download the 'demo'?

#11MarikhenPosted 6/7/2014 4:00:47 PM
Justice98405 posted...
I was still doing the opening missions before getting your ATV and was downed by an enemy, and I was locked into the downed state, I couldn't revive myself or get an evac, and the options and menus all were locked out. I had to alt-tab and kill the game and restart it. LOL.

That sounds just like my experience with a 3PIARPG called Dungeon Hack. I died, there was no respawn option, the menu didn't work anymore, and Alt+F4 was non-functional so I had to alt-tab -> End Process.

As for Defiance itself, it's a decent enough game, but to a very large degree it's even more of the "same ol' same ol'" than traditional EQ/WoW-style MMOs can be. At least they took care of some of the worst issues I had with the game. Specifically EGO rating didn't really improve weapons making it so that a green EGO 300 SMG I got as a quest reward 20 minutes into the game was my best or second best weapon (though technically it still is, but only because it's been upgraded), and now when a weapon is mastered you're no longer effectively punished for using it by no longer gaining weapon group experience.

Unfortunately somewhere along the way it seems like Trion decided to go the opposite direction of other MMOs in that they made the game more difficult to play solo. Normally I'd not object to this, but given that last year there really wasn't much in the way of difficulty scaling, or power scaling in my experience, and it was already of suitable difficulty to solo this is in stark contrast to other games such as Trion's own Rift which is now easier to solo than it was at launch.

Mind you I'm not complaining that it's too "hard," but it took me about 10 minutes to kill one type of NPC in a quest/mission area, and three NPCs of that particular type happened to spawn in addition to the normal quest/mission NPCs. They had something like 100k-200k HP, lots of armor blocks, and did enough damage that my 2k shield HP melted like ice on the sun and I was down to 25%-50% HP in two hits. I eventually completed the mission, but it was a seriously frustrating pain in the ass that was nowhere near fun.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#12Justice98405(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2014 4:09:36 PM
That's the other thing I didn't mention, even at the very start, enemies are serious bullet sponges. And I'm gonna assume that's NOT going to get better...

Maybe I'll try RIFT, that went F2P too, right? I'd always heard from a variety of sources that it was pretty dang cool.
---
To the mattresses.
3DS code: 2621-3902-1737, PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#13MarikhenPosted 6/7/2014 4:31:15 PM(edited)
Rift's been F2P for a year or more now. Mind you you have to shell out something like $45-$50 to get access to all of the classes, and F2P accounts have some relatively stringent bag slot restrictions compared to how easy it is to rack up a lot of crap in your bags, but as far as F2P models go it's not the worst out there.

That said unless you've got a fairly poor PC or a fairly awesome PC you might have some client performance issues, and they might be enough to make you not want to play the game. It's built on a Gamebryo engine, and in addition to that handicap Trion has slowly been degrading client performance since it launched despite having at least two patch notes mentioning client performance improvements.

Edit: I like the game, and I love how they handle classes with four archetypes which are able to freely mix and match 3 different souls out of a total of 10 in order to fill any of the four party roles (DPS, tank, healer, support (generally temporary buffs)), but client performance really grates on my nerves. The fact that the game's art aesthetics don't agree with me and can actually contribute to a worse game experience at low frame rates than other art styles might, at least for me, just goes a long way towards discouraging me from enjoying those good parts of the game.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#14disgruntledRIerPosted 6/9/2014 2:37:18 AM
so is rift good or not if you dont plan on paying?
#15MarikhenPosted 6/9/2014 8:34:09 AM
It should be fine.

If you can stand to get to the expansion content you should be able to afford to buy REXes from other players to help with some of the account restrictions you'll face. REXes are in-game items which can be redeemed for 1250 credits.
---
#16SinisterSlayPosted 6/9/2014 8:37:48 AM
Justice98405 posted...
That's the other thing I didn't mention, even at the very start, enemies are serious bullet sponges. And I'm gonna assume that's NOT going to get better...

Maybe I'll try RIFT, that went F2P too, right? I'd always heard from a variety of sources that it was pretty dang cool.

Yeah the enemies get worse and worse.
The sniper rifle is pretty much useless, it can take 20 head shots to put down a single enemy. Or it did when I finally gave up on it.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#17OrgeLambartPosted 6/9/2014 8:46:35 AM
the loot sucks and the only way to get loot was nerfed to heaven and back.

All you'll get is white and very few green drops, the rest require you to buy boxes. You only get the codes to open boxes by doing Co-op missions, or ark falls.

In all honesty prior to the nerf the game was really fun, you could roll around, kill mini events as you drove and pick up many key codes in a day.

They sucked the fun out of the game, I can only imagine it being worse now that the game is F2P, I can't even imagine what they edited out of the game to make it F2P..
---
Xboxlive - Orge Lambart , Steam ID - Orge Lambart, PSN - Orgelambart
#18PhilOnDezPosted 6/9/2014 9:00:45 AM
@Sin: It definitely doesn't stay like that. Get an incendiary rifle and the incendiary damage bonus talents and everything drops. Shock works as well and it's near cloak which you can use for even more damage. I've been working on leveling bolt rifles and they're fine. If you can get one of the charge scatter rifles they kill pretty much anything in one shot if you hit the head (or even if you don't) and don't have that much of a damage penalty over the standard semiauto rifles for uncharged shots.

@Orge: They may have made key codes rarer but they've massively buffed drop rates for legendaries. They only nerfed the really exploitative keycode farming though as far as I can tell, like driving around the city and nailing the occasional skitterling and still getting full credit for the event when somebody else finished it. I can buy several tier 3 crates a day no problem though I think they've massively buffed T4 boxes so I'm going to start buying them.

As for the drop rates, the only legendary I had prior to the changes was the Shanjifiyo Charge Blade which I got from the Thorn Liro vendor. After the recent changes I got 4 in two days and they never really stopped dropping. Unless they neutered the drops when it went F2P the other day the rewards are fine. You just have to actually participate and not just drive around not contributing. I think keycode rewards may be tied to how well you do in the arkfalls as well now (And being leveled doesn't give you an advantage, not unless you're way over 5000 since you and your gear get scaled up to 4750 during arkfalls)
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez