This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help needed: PC shuts down, is it the power supply?

#1lolman7712Posted 6/7/2014 7:42:16 PM(edited)
Okay, so here's the deal. I'm busy doing some lazy internet browsing on my PC like it's nothing. Then it shuts down randomly.

"Oh boy," I think, "this better not be the cpu again." I boot to the BIOS to see nothing out of the ordinary temperature-wise, so I wonder what it could be. I go back to just sit on the desktop, and it shuts off again.

The thing is in a state where it should be on, but it's like it gets cut off from power so it shuts down until power comes back, if that paints the right picture. I'm worried here, guys. I put together the thing myself and it's been working the past 2 months all right, so I wonder what the cause of it is. Nothing seems out of the ordinary when I checked inside. Am I missing anything? The thing is just sitting there, off. I'm waiting to understand more about this.

Please help me, PC board. What should I do? I'll post specs if I need to. Thanks in advance.
---
"I like to picture arguments on GameFAQs as territorial chimpanzee battles... in suits. Suits make everything funny." - Nights85
#2ShubPosted 6/7/2014 7:43:18 PM
The PSU is a good place to start, but it's always hard to tell in these situations. If you get a different (good quality) PSU and the problem goes away, that's basically the only way you'll know...
What PSU do you have now (brand and specific model, not just wattage) ?
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3Orestes417Posted 6/7/2014 7:44:36 PM
Yeah the PSU would be one of the first places I'd look. Check your system logs too and see if the errors have anything useful
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#4lolman7712(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2014 11:42:30 PM
Shub posted...
The PSU is a good place to start, but it's always hard to tell in these situations. If you get a different (good quality) PSU and the problem goes away, that's basically the only way you'll know...
What PSU do you have now (brand and specific model, not just wattage) ?

It's an Antec VP-450. How well is it? I'm hoping good quality power supplies aren't too expensive.
---
"I like to picture arguments on GameFAQs as territorial chimpanzee battles... in suits. Suits make everything funny." - Nights85
#5Xtreme-VoidPosted 6/8/2014 12:43:45 AM
The PSU is the most fragile parts of a PC
---
PC Gaming Rigs, PS3, PS VITA, PSP, 3DS
i7 4770K | MSI GTX 780 Ti | 12 GB RAM | Sony Bravia 40HX750 | Altec Lansing MX6021
#6ARMs7777Posted 6/8/2014 1:12:20 AM(edited)
Xtreme-Void posted...

In my experience the motherboard is the most fragile part of a PC.

Edit: Correction HDD is the most fragile then motherboard.
#7ShubPosted 6/8/2014 7:36:56 AM
lolman7712 posted...
It's an Antec VP-450. How well is it? I'm hoping good quality power supplies aren't too expensive.

It's an OK unit, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be crapping out on you.

Xtreme-Void posted...

Not really... I'm not 100% sure what you meant, there are a great number of factors at play here.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.