This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help on figuring out a certain game's name.

#1HeavenwargodPosted 6/8/2014 3:00:36 AM
It was a trial version (or at least I think it was a trial) that came with an old computer. I can't remember exactly how long ago was it, but I reckon at least 10 years ago. It has bugged me for many years until I gave up trying to remember it, but recently, a friend of mine brought up the genre as a topic of discussion and it started to bug me again.

Google wasn't helpful at all, I looked through the list of "City-building games" on GameFAQs and either I missed it or it simply isn't there.

Some descriptions:
- It's a town-building game. Or village/city, not entirely sure but it certainly feels more like a village than anything else.

- Control scheme is similar to WC3. Graphics too, but maybe slightly worse.

- Does not feature any battle system, only purpose is to get the town to prosper. I think there were some goals you need to reach as well, such as getting a certain amount of gold.

- You control some race that clearly isn't human. I'm not exactly sure but I seem to recall them looking like a bunch of Shreks.

- One of the resource/sustainability terms used in the game is "Famine". The game repeats "Your town is ________ famine" quite often (can't remember the exactly line, but what I'm sure of is that the word "famine" is read out a lot), and your villagers/townsmen seem to throw up frequently as their idle animation whenever you're in Famine status.

- One of the build-able structures is a wine tavern/bar. I think there are windmills as well but unfortunately, I can't affirm it.

I can't be the only one who has played this game before, but Google seems to tell me "nay, it was your imagination". Any help would be very much appreciated!
---
Finally plat'd ToX. Taking a break from gaming for the moment to focus on work (but I'll still frequent forums).
Ayachi's number one fan.
#2TharosThorakanPosted 6/8/2014 6:33:31 AM
I seem to remember something like this is well. Sorry I cant help but I would love to know the answer as well.
---
SteamID - KrayzieCMB
PSN - Thorakan
#3Moorish_IdolPosted 6/8/2014 6:58:52 AM
Might be a long shot, but maybe Hinterland?
#4JKatarnPosted 6/8/2014 7:27:34 AM
I would advise using the year/genre filters at "Mobygames", chances are they'll have an entry if it was a reasonably well known game.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#5Heavenwargod(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2014 12:45:28 PM
TharosThorakan posted...
I seem to remember something like this is well. Sorry I cant help but I would love to know the answer as well.

I'll post back if I find out anything. It's great to find out it's getting less likely that it was an imaginary game in the back of my mind though.

Moorish_Idol posted...
Might be a long shot, but maybe Hinterland?

Nope, but thanks for the suggestion.

JKatarn posted...
I would advise using the year/genre filters at "Mobygames", chances are they'll have an entry if it was a reasonably well known game.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try and see if I hit up anything.
---
Leia's mom could probably send Barbatos and Dhaos into outer space with one swing of her broom.
Ayachi's number one fan.