This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Watch_Dogs is a racist game?

#1samuraigaidenPosted 6/8/2014 5:16:48 AM
I saw the reports about how the game has an NPC that is, in essence, Trayvon Martin, only in the game he is a drug dealer and a thug, and you as the player get to kill him like George Zimmerman did.

It's the most disguting thing I've seen developers do ever. I'm not buying any more games from Ubisoft until they adress this in a serious manner.
#2kill2thisPosted 6/8/2014 5:19:09 AM
"According to Ubisoft representative Raha Bouda, “When a new NPC is spawned, a new name is randomly generated from a bank of more than 1,000 options — and it’s a random mix of first names and last names. Most of these names are taken from annual most popular names books as well as from building names. Any NPC with the name Kavon Fortin appears by random in the game and it is absolutely not an intentional reference to Trayvon Martin — in fact, these names were solidified in-game before the Trayvon Martin incident.”"
Taken from Buzzfeed
#3samuraigaiden(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2014 5:24:11 AM
Yeah, I don't believe that for one second.
#4MahoganyTooth92Posted 6/8/2014 5:27:11 AM
You don't believe that the game randomly generates names?
---
"I'm amazed TC is still posting. It's not your everyday run of the mill stupidity. This is advanced stupidity." -nickizgr8
#5I-Planters-IPosted 6/8/2014 5:40:27 AM
Wow, you have really thin skin and watch liberal media to be affected by this such manner in such a way.
#6Saga3Posted 6/8/2014 5:40:30 AM
Sure it randomly generates most names, and if you look at most the names they are mostly names that exist in the real world. I've never heard of anyone called Kavon in my life, so no, the probability that a fake name that doesn't exist in the real world generated a drug dealer generated a guy wearing a hoodie is too low for me to believe, it's too coincidental for someone not to manually input that name. And why wouldn't Ubisoft use that as an excuse?

Then again I found it mildly amusing.
#7JavelinPosted 6/8/2014 5:45:59 AM
kill2this posted...
"Most of these names are taken from annual most popular names books"

Because every kid gets named "Kavon" or "Fortin" nowadays.
---
MSI Z77A-GD55 | Intel Core i7-3770K | Kingston HyperX 8GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB
#8PhilOnDezPosted 6/8/2014 5:48:19 AM
In 2000 and 2001 Kavon was in the top 1000 male baby names in the US. It's still fairly popular to this day, top 2000-ish.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#9313pigeonsonmePosted 6/8/2014 5:49:58 AM
samuraigaiden posted...
I saw the reports about how the game has an NPC that is, in essence, Trayvon Martin, only in the game he is a drug dealer and a thug, and you as the player get to kill him like George Zimmerman did.

It's the most disguting thing I've seen developers do ever. I'm not buying any more games from Ubisoft until they adress this in a serious manner.

Why is that racist?
---
Shut up.
#10samuraigaiden(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2014 5:50:12 AM
kill2this posted...
Most of these names are taken from annual most popular names books as well as from building names.

Show me one human being on the planet named Kavon. Just one.