This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Watch_Dogs is a racist game?

#11PhilOnDezPosted 6/8/2014 5:53:30 AM(edited)
names.whitepages.com/Kavon/Martin

E: lulzily enough, there's more people named Kavon Martin in the US than there are with my 'normal' name.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#12samuraigaiden(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2014 5:53:18 AM
313pigeonsonme posted...
samuraigaiden posted...
I saw the reports about how the game has an NPC that is, in essence, Trayvon Martin, only in the game he is a drug dealer and a thug, and you as the player get to kill him like George Zimmerman did.

It's the most disguting thing I've seen developers do ever. I'm not buying any more games from Ubisoft until they adress this in a serious manner.

Why is that racist?

Zimmerman's explanation for killing Martin was that he felt threatend because it was a black dude wearing a hoodie walking around at night in his neighborhood. That's as racist an excuse as they come.

By putting this stuff in this manner into the game, they are implicitly saying Zimmerman was right. AKA, if all your friends are racists...
#13samuraigaiden(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2014 5:54:39 AM
PhilOnDez posted...

4 people in the entirety of the United States, so no, it's not among the most common names at all. Ubi's PR response has just been debuked. Thanks.
#14Moorish_IdolPosted 6/8/2014 5:55:27 AM
TC trying too hard.
#15Killah PriestPosted 6/8/2014 5:56:53 AM
This is about as racist as calling an African-american male a "black dude"
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#16PhilOnDezPosted 6/8/2014 6:27:09 AM(edited)
samuraigaiden posted...
PhilOnDez posted...

4 people in the entirety of the United States, so no, it's not among the most common names at all. Ubi's PR response has just been debuked. Thanks.

That's 4 people named Kavon Martin. There are 3 people with my relatively popular name (Phillip [Redacted])

Moorish_Idol posted...
TC trying too hard.

E: Also, the most accepted pronunciation for the name is Kav-in, like Kevin but with an A, not Kay-vawn, like Trayvon.

E2: What year does Watch_Dogs take place in? All I could find was 'near future' which would mean that they likely just grabbed the thousand most popular names for men and women (based on the claims of 'generated from a list of over a 1000 names') off of 2000's census data which Kavon would most certainly have been a part of since the people born in 2000 would now be coming of age. Very believable on their part.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#17LoshadtPosted 6/8/2014 6:13:22 AM
Even if it were intentional, it's not racist. Insensitive and offensive, yes, but not racist.

Of course that fact is irrelevant since this topic is just bait in the first place.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#18kill2thisPosted 6/8/2014 6:30:05 AM(edited)
For what it's worth I just threw the quote there as it was relevant, not that I believe it.
As said above I wouldn't say its racist at all, insensitive very much so.
More importantly R.I.P to Trayvon
#19dekouPosted 6/8/2014 6:38:19 AM
And this, my dear GAMEFAQs members, is what we call "sensationalism" and "grasping for straws". Wow, someone's name rhymes with that of an NPC in a video game. Must be racism!
---
Intel Pentium II OC @ 450 MHz | 128 Mb RAM | Falcon Northwest Special Edition Maxi Gamer Xentor 32 SE | 2x 4 Gb Seagate HDD
#20pwnater777Posted 6/8/2014 6:54:58 AM
kill2this posted...
"its a random mix of first names and last names."

"in fact, these names were solidified in-game before the Trayvon Martin incident.

So, which is it? Were the names set and solidified in the game before the incident happened, or are they randomly generated?
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe