This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any news about another tablet with dedicated graphics?

#1iscareu13Posted 6/8/2014 12:20:07 PM
When the Razer Edge was first released, I was hyped, but at the time, I didn't feel like dishing out 1 or 2 grand for a high performance tablet because I didn't see the use for it.

My machine is really showing its age now (specs below):
AMD Phenom II x3 720
4770 512mb - Running two monitors
4GB DDR3 1333mhz

And I am really in the market for a new machine. To my knowledge, the Razer Edge is still the only tablet with a dedicated graphics card, and I do not want to dish 1-2 grand on it when the hardware is a few generations old now. I want to either wait it out for the Edge 2 (which I haven't heard anything about) or another tablet with a dedicated graphics card.

I know most people on this board think gaming tablets, most would even say gaming laptops, are a stupid idea and a waste of money, so I want to make a quick case as to why it appeals to me.

1) I have to carry around a laptop for work. Whenever I start using a laptop, whether mine or another, I instantly think of work. This is not what I want when I am trying to relax.

2) I want something i can use while I am around the house (or outside of the house) and easily portable. Being able to just relax on the couch and watch Youtube or play some basic games would be awesome.

3) Nothing I play is super demanding, so the low specs don't bother me. I mostly play Valve Games, Blizzard Games, and building/sandbox like games (Simcity 4, Minecraft, Banished, etc.).

I was excited when I saw the Surface 2 announcement, but even the top end model doesn't provide a dedicated graphics card. The integrated card would probably run most of my games on low settings, but i don't want to settle for THAT weak of a card and struggle in my games.

So I ask, is there any word of another "gaming" tablet coming out?
#2LordSeiferPosted 6/8/2014 12:22:37 PM
gonna try to play starcraft on a touchscreen?
---
^ this
#3Kad-ManPosted 6/8/2014 12:23:02 PM
Not sure if TC is trolling or just stupid.
#4iscareu13(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2014 12:38:34 PM
LordSeifer posted...
gonna try to play starcraft on a touchscreen?

I can plug a mouse/keyboard into it for when I am playing games like that.

Kad-Man posted...

Typical response. Not sure why I even bother posting here anymore.
#5Kad-ManPosted 6/8/2014 12:42:58 PM
If your gonna play games get a computer or a laptop playing on a tablet is just stupid you might as well spend your days playing facebook games at the rate your moving.
#6cody4783Posted 6/8/2014 12:47:10 PM
iscareu13 posted...
Kad-Man posted...

Well you made the topic stating you know most people here recommend strongly against laptops and especially tablets. And your reasoning on point #1 was just incredibly superficial and opens you for criticism.
---
PC: http://i.imgur.com/zgyKBAY.jpg
#7JKatarnPosted 6/8/2014 1:48:00 PM(edited)
Not "super demanding" has two very different connotations when you're talking about a typical PC vs. a typical Ultrabook/Tablet. The best you're going to get in an Ultrabook/Tablet (that's not prohibitively expensive) is the ability to play more reasonably demanding games at "low" settings, and the tablets that will play the games at medium will be heavier, hotter, and considerably more expensive. There's also the fact that most PC games aren't designed to be played with a touchscreen.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#8PhilOnDezPosted 6/8/2014 2:05:36 PM
The top tier Surface Pro 3 has Iris Pro, that'll be faster than what's in the Razer Edge. I wouldn't recommend it for gaming but eh, to each his own. Be warned that it has a 2160x1440 display so you won't be playing anything recent at native res.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#9iscareu13(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2014 6:31:14 PM
cody4783 posted...
iscareu13 posted...
Kad-Man posted...

Well you made the topic stating you know most people here recommend strongly against laptops and especially tablets. And your reasoning on point #1 was just incredibly superficial and opens you for criticism.

I was stating that I know most people are against tablets/laptops for gaming in hopes of receiving answers instead of 10 posts going "Gaming Laptop LOL" / "Troll" / etc.

My reason #1 was stating why I don't want to go the laptop route.

PhilOnDez posted...
The top tier Surface Pro 3 has Iris Pro, that'll be faster than what's in the Razer Edge. I wouldn't recommend it for gaming but eh, to each his own. Be warned that it has a 2160x1440 display so you won't be playing anything recent at native res.

The Razer Edge has a Nvidia 640M. I don't believe the iris pro is faster, but I will check out some benchmarks.
#10zergslayer69Posted 6/8/2014 6:34:02 PM
I think the surface pro 3 has the iris 5000 if you get it with the i7. I don't have numbers but I don't think it'll beat the 640. Maybe match it at best, which is still impressive for a tablet. Plus since it uses iris battery life would be better. But I think the edge would still do better with raw power.
---
PSN - zergslayer69
Friend Code - 3909 8848 9513 | NID - Haddaway