This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does Morrowind "need" to be enhanced by mods?

#61MarikhenPosted 6/9/2014 4:19:37 PM
Chuck4life posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Well the combat is some of the worst ever....
Maybe it's one step up above
"Kill troll with sword"
Miss
"Kill troll with sword"
The troll is hit in the head and dies.

This person is obviously a young kid who does not appreciate or remember the golden years of gaming...

He does have a point in that it's not much of a step up from MUDs. I loved Gemstone III to death for entirely too many years so I'm not of the opinion that text-based games are inherently bad. I played it alongside Diablo, Starcraft, Quake 2, and other games at first, and then later on I played it alongside Diablo 2, Morrowind, and perhaps even Oblivion.

The mechanics are, however, somewhat frustrating to people who aren't "old school" THAC0 lovers, and the practical difference between left-clicking on your mouse and hitting control+V followed by enter are quite minimal.

LordOfLegacies posted...
Marikhen posted...
Of course people who say it's better without mods because of their negative impact on game performance can have a point. My machine can crank out up to something like 160 or 180 FPS on vanilla Morrowind, but on the MGSO install I have I'm lucky to see 30-35 FPS outdoors. I shudder to consider what MGSO on a netbook that might otherwise be able to run the game at an adequate frame rate might manage.

Being unable to run the game is absolutely not a valid argument against mods in this topic. "Mods are bad because my FPS drops when I use them", that's absurd.

I suppose that makes it a good thing that I was referring to people who say that a game can be better without mods due to performance issues, not people who outright state that mods are bad for any reason.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#62DieForMotherLandPosted 6/9/2014 5:05:00 PM
HighOnPhazon posted...
Oblivion is one of the most flawed RPG's I've ever played. The inherent nature of the open world is actually a detriment to your character as enemies level and become more powerful with your level, but this doesn't take into account stats.

If you level up by jumping and swimming, your fighting skills will become crap and you'll be soon hitting like a wet noodle trying to kill Mountain Lions. You pretty much are REQUIRED to grind stats like Endurance and Strength to keep up.

Oblivion was garbage.

Still better than Skyrim.
---
Deu > Colm > Volke > Rivis > Patty > Parn > Rennac > Lara
#63SinfullyvannilaPosted 6/9/2014 6:05:03 PM(edited)
Saying this as a long-time Morrowind fan;

To hit rolls are not a good idea in a first-person game that isn't turn-based.

Nothing else really needs to be modded, except for a widescreen mod.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#64xanthan1Posted 6/9/2014 6:09:13 PM
DieForMotherLand posted...
HighOnPhazon posted...
Oblivion is one of the most flawed RPG's I've ever played. The inherent nature of the open world is actually a detriment to your character as enemies level and become more powerful with your level, but this doesn't take into account stats.

If you level up by jumping and swimming, your fighting skills will become crap and you'll be soon hitting like a wet noodle trying to kill Mountain Lions. You pretty much are REQUIRED to grind stats like Endurance and Strength to keep up.

Oblivion was garbage.

Still better than Skyrim.

No, I'm pretty sure the game in a generic as hell fantasy landscape, where you travel to generic fantasy hell, and has a leveling system so broken that you need metagame by doing crap like setting your major skills to things you almost never use to not suck at mid to high levels is worse then Skyrim.
#65SinfullyvannilaPosted 6/9/2014 6:13:42 PM(edited)
ThePCElitist posted...
hyjinx17 posted...
I don't feel immersed when I swing my sword through something's head and they take no damage.

It's called a dice roll mechanic. If you want an action game there is Skyrim.

It's a valid complaint IMO, like I said above, poor fit for the game.

It's good fit for a turn based game. But direct input combat with a hit roll just breaks immersion and just looks and feels silly, not to mention potentially frustrating.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#66MarikhenPosted 6/9/2014 6:53:54 PM
Honestly, in some regards THAC0 mechanics make sense even in action RPGs. I mean how do you realistically model character movements like twisting or sliding around an attack that people can do in real life but that would otherwise not be plausible, or even possible, in ARPGs? Blunt force movements like backstepping or strafing left and right don't really adequately model that.

In this case THAC0 mechanics have a valid purpose, but Bethesda's implementation of them was too basic for it to be "realistic." If NPCs actually had animations showing them dodging/moving out of the way of an attack while essentially standing on the same spot, and if players did something similar in third-person view and had camera movement to evoke the feeling of those movements in first-person view, modern players would likely be more receptive of it.

Basically dice rolls in 3D ARPG combat are perfectly fine if there's a visual representation of them in the form of actor animations and camera movements.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#67Epicness2012Posted 6/9/2014 7:04:25 PM
Alright, we all know the THAC0 system is annoying, but why does everyone always act like it doesn't basically disappear like 2 hours after you start the game and get your skills up?
---
http://i.imgur.com/bYgoJ.jpg
Remember, citizens, bullets cost money and resources. Do your part by dying quickly
#68LordOfLegaciesPosted 6/9/2014 11:07:34 PM
xanthan1 posted...
No, I'm pretty sure the game in a generic as hell fantasy landscape, where you travel to generic fantasy hell, and has a leveling system so broken that you need metagame by doing crap like setting your major skills to things you almost never use to not suck at mid to high levels is worse then Skyrim.

I disagree with you on the first part. With or without any of the really f***ing awesome graphics and landscape mods and overhauls I feel that Morrowind possesses a very distinct vibe in the atmosphere that isn't there in Oblivion or Skyrim.
Oblivion had a very similar problem with leveling as Morrowind but I really liked Skyrim's leveling. You gain at a satisfying rate, your main skills actually become powerful, and you even unlock some cool abilities as you go along. Sure you get way overpowered but nowhere near as much as in Morrowind if you level right and have some good magic skills.
---
MY NAME IS RONALD MCDONALD I HAVE SAUSAGE I HAVE EGGS MY NAME IS RONALD MCDONALD I HAVE SAUSAGE I HAVE EGGS MY NAME IS RONALD MCDONALD I HAVE SAUSAGE I HAVE EGG
#69xanthan1Posted 6/10/2014 6:45:51 AM(edited)
LordOfLegacies posted...
xanthan1 posted...

I disagree with you on the first part. With or without any of the really f***ing awesome graphics and landscape mods and overhauls I feel that Morrowind possesses a very distinct vibe in the atmosphere that isn't there in Oblivion or Skyrim.
Oblivion had a very similar problem with leveling as Morrowind but I really liked Skyrim's leveling. You gain at a satisfying rate, your main skills actually become powerful, and you even unlock some cool abilities as you go along. Sure you get way overpowered but nowhere near as much as in Morrowind if you level right and have some good magic skills.

I was describing Oblivion. You know, because that one guy said it was somehow better then Skyrim despite being kind of **** in a lot of areas.