This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have always been a Windows user. Want to try Linux. Where to start?

#11Majoras_pantsPosted 6/8/2014 3:02:23 PM
There's almost no reason to ever use linux anymore.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#12Orestes417Posted 6/8/2014 3:04:19 PM
Here's the thing, if you can't be bothered to do your own research and form your own opinions you're probably not prepared to put in the tiniest bit of effort into actually learning anything. You'll boot from a livecd realize that you're still staring at a desktop with apps and go back to Windows wondering what the point was.

Figure out what you want to accomplish, do some reading on how to get there then experiment. Don't go in expecting the world to tell you what you're looking for.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#13MarikhenPosted 6/8/2014 3:25:06 PM
I've done some looking into performance differences between Linux and Windows for gaming, and from what I've seen there can be some fairly significant performance boosts in games under Linux, but it generally only happens when using AMD CPUs, AMD GPUs, and playing Linux native games (IOW not via Wine). Another chunk of that is simply because of OpenGL performing better than DirectX for those games. This is evidenced by tests showing Windows games with DX and OGL variants seeing better and more consistent frame rates under OGL.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#14SinisterSlayPosted 6/8/2014 4:20:10 PM
I usually recommend zorin but.... I don't know which distros let you easily update video drivers. Ubuntu is horrible for updating video drivers. Which makes it a huge piece of crap as a gaming os.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#15Fade2black001Posted 6/8/2014 4:23:13 PM
Save yourself the headache and don't use Linux.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#16SinisterSlayPosted 6/8/2014 4:29:22 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
Save yourself the headache and don't use Linux.

It's amazing how much of a mountain valve has to climb with linux.
Updates, needs to roll, not a fresh install every 6 months.
Drivers, needs to update cleanly and automatic, not dropping to cli, changing files, recompiling kernels.
Help messages, need to actually have them.
Screen consistency, every screen needs the same look and feel.
Naming, gnothing kcan gbe gcalled klike kthis.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#17MaxCHEATER64Posted 6/8/2014 4:33:57 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Naming, gnothing kcan gbe gcalled klike kthis

>implying that people wouldn't be flocking to Gksteam
---
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003
#18dermoratrakenPosted 6/8/2014 6:31:11 PM
I recommend not even bothering. For the average user there are no pros and too many cons.
#19AlexKidd5000Posted 6/13/2014 6:19:11 AM
I have had fewer issues with Linux (Manjaro) than I ever had with Windows.

Linux is definitley faster, and it's NOT had complicated as anyone would have you think. Anyone who says Linux is hard to use, has never used it. I hate Ubuntu, and Linux Mint, but they are very easy to use. Manjaro kills them both, but you may have better luck with Ubuntu, or Fedora. There are many desktop envirenments to choose from, like KDE (my personal fave), XFCE, LXQT, Cinnamon, Gnome, and so on. Linux is FAR better than Windows ever was, you just have to get used to it like everyone has done with Windows. If everyone had used Linux for the past 25 years, and suddenly used Windows, everyone would be telling you how complicated, and hard to use Windows is.
#20AlexKidd5000Posted 6/13/2014 6:19:41 AM
dermoratraken posted...
I recommend not even bothering. For the average user there are no pros and too many cons.

I'd really like to hear what all those cons are...