This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have always been a Windows user. Want to try Linux. Where to start?

#121Golden MavenPosted 6/13/2014 2:37:34 PM
If any of you Linux users could tell me how to get AMD UVD working in Linux, I'm all ears.

Lack of GPU video acceleration is the one thing keeping me from using Linux. With Intel cards, it works out of the box.
#122ChetyrePosted 6/13/2014 2:38:16 PM
Guys, arch is not a stable distro. It was never supposed to be one. It is kinda silly to complain about updates breaking things on it, as it is not focused on stability, but rather on being cutting edge.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#123Orestes417Posted 6/13/2014 2:42:41 PM(edited)
Stability has two meanings. One refers to the propensity to crash, by which Arch is a very stable distro under most circumstances barring administrative incompetence. The other refers to the rate of change, a standard by which Arch is one of the most unstable binary distros on the planet.

In the sense of things breaking, once the admin sets things it Arch stays set up until it's changed by the admin. From that point it's only as buggy as the vanilla software it's pulling from.

---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#124ShubPosted 6/13/2014 2:51:37 PM
pwnater777 posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
pwnater777 posted...
I've never understood how people just decide to switch operating systems like this. Is it really that easy? Do y'all just have discs with the OS on them? What gives?

Linux is a free OS. So you just download the .iso and burn it as a CD Image, boot from it and install.

It is completely different from Windows though. So learning curve and all comes with it.

So, unless I know where a disc with Windows 7 is, there'd be no reverting, eh?

Actually you're in luck, Windows 7 SP1 can be downloaded legally for free.
All you need is a valid product key to activate Windows once it's installed.
http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#125Orestes417Posted 6/13/2014 2:53:10 PM
Shub posted...
pwnater777 posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
pwnater777 posted...
I've never understood how people just decide to switch operating systems like this. Is it really that easy? Do y'all just have discs with the OS on them? What gives?

Linux is a free OS. So you just download the .iso and burn it as a CD Image, boot from it and install.

It is completely different from Windows though. So learning curve and all comes with it.

Actually you're in luck, Windows 7 SP1 can be downloaded legally for free.
All you need is a valid product key to activate Windows once it's installed.
http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

I do feel it necessary to reiterate that a newbie really should not be playing around on real hardware when much safer VM alternatives exist that don't run the risk of killing their data.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#126HappyHippo04Posted 6/13/2014 3:08:33 PM
SneakiestNeg posted...
Chrome now blocks extensions not downloaded from the chrome store. Think proxmate or adblock edge will get Google approval? Or YouTube center?

It does? I have chrome running right now and all my extensions work fine, including the add block free version.
---
PC | Wii U | 3DSXL | Vita
FC: 4639-9367-1408
#127New LinkPosted 6/13/2014 3:20:08 PM
pwnater777 posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
pwnater777 posted...

Incorrect. You can install linux alongside windows and have them both at the same time. You simply choose which OS to boot into when you turn on your PC.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#128PraetorXynPosted 6/13/2014 6:31:32 PM
HappyHippo04 posted...
SneakiestNeg posted...
Chrome now blocks extensions not downloaded from the chrome store. Think proxmate or adblock edge will get Google approval? Or YouTube center?

It does? I have chrome running right now and all my extensions work fine, including the add block free version.

They're blocking 3rd party extensions. If you downloaded it from the Chrome store, it's fine. The only example of a 3rd party I know of is YouTube Center, that lets you, among other things, disable Dash Playback so YouTube buffers like it used to, so people on slow connections can set the video to buffer and it will actually buffer the whole thing, instead of a 5 minute chunk.

Installation of 3rd party extensions was done by downloading a file (I forget the file extension) and dragging / dropping it into the extensions pane.

People fear that now that Google is blocking 3rd party extensions, they can remove AdBlock from the Chrome extensions library, then people will either have to use Chrome with ads or use another browser.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#129AlexKidd5000Posted 6/13/2014 6:35:58 PM
walnut100 posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
walnut100 posted...
- It has a tendency to not stay stable as long as a Windows or OSX install so you'll be reinstalling the OS more often (unless you keep pretty good care of your system)

Whhhaaaa?

# uptime
17:01:49 up 1188 days, 13:29, 1 user, load average: 2.14, 2.32, 2.43

Knew that bit would be controversial

You CAN keep it going for a long time if you take care of it and the kernel itself is really stable - but the stuff around it isn't always and there can be conflicts between software. Sometimes after major updates it's easier to nuke the whole thing and start over than it is to fix it imo

There are plenty of distros that do a good job only having stable software in there repos. I"ve had my manjaro install running flawlessly with no effort at all for 8 months now. I actually found that Windows needed to be reinstalled far more often than Linux.
#130PraetorXynPosted 6/13/2014 6:36:58 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Stability has two meanings. One refers to the propensity to crash, by which Arch is a very stable distro under most circumstances barring administrative incompetence. The other refers to the rate of change, a standard by which Arch is one of the most unstable binary distros on the planet.

In the sense of things breaking, once the admin sets things it Arch stays set up until it's changed by the admin. From that point it's only as buggy as the vanilla software it's pulling from.

This. I just meant you need to read the archlinux.org news each time before running pacman -Syu to avoid problems. The most recent example I can think of is when they changed bin to be a symlink to /usr/bin for instance it broke a lot of people's systems because they were unaware of that change.

I try to stay up on the stuff because I mount the EFI System Partition at /boot/efi, so I have to have a systemd daemon to copy the kernel files from /boot to /boot/efi/EFI/arch each time the kernel is updated. I also have a daemon to copy the rEFInd files from /usr to /boot/efi/EFI/refind each time rEFInd is updated.

Because I do things like this in ways other than the way EFISTUB, and hence Arch, wants me to, I try to pay attention to the news before full scale updates which I do run weekly or so.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png