This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have always been a Windows user. Want to try Linux. Where to start?

#21AlexKidd5000Posted 6/13/2014 6:24:21 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
I usually recommend zorin but.... I don't know which distros let you easily update video drivers. Ubuntu is horrible for updating video drivers. Which makes it a huge piece of crap as a gaming os.

I agree that Ubuntu sucks. Manjaro updates video drivers automatically in the update manager.
#22SinisterSlayPosted 6/13/2014 6:27:18 AM
AlexKidd5000 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
I usually recommend zorin but.... I don't know which distros let you easily update video drivers. Ubuntu is horrible for updating video drivers. Which makes it a huge piece of crap as a gaming os.

I agree that Ubuntu sucks. Manjaro updates video drivers automatically in the update manager.

So the latest Beta for nVidia is in there?

Because this is the instructions for updating video drivers from nVidias website.
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/331.79/README/installdriver.html
Does Manjaro give a nice quick way to install new drivers like Windows has since at least Windows 95?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#23AlexKidd5000Posted 6/13/2014 6:33:49 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

So the latest Beta for nVidia is in there?

Because this is the instructions for updating video drivers from nVidias website.
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/331.79/README/installdriver.html
Does Manjaro give a nice quick way to install new drivers like Windows has since at least Windows 95?

Personally, I think Manjaro does it much better than Windows. If nVidia released an update for there drivers, the update will be installed by Manjaro's repository automatically along with all the other software, and componant updates like the kernel, in an update pack.
#24AlexKidd5000Posted 6/13/2014 6:37:15 AM
And yes, it looks like they always have the latest beta.
#25SinisterSlayPosted 6/13/2014 6:40:03 AM
AlexKidd5000 posted...

Sweet, so why the hell did Valve start with Ubuntu?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#26voldothegr8Posted 6/13/2014 6:42:18 AM
SmoboHash posted...
Nothing you try to do on linux will work the first time. You'll constantly be googling how to fix errors or how to do basic things. Eventually you'll realize that whatever possible benefits there are are not worth the effort it takes and go back to Windows.

This so much. Linux is great if you want to setup and run a web server, but really isn't worth learning to the average user. Even the most user friendly distros have a pretty steep learning curve since you have to know commands no matter what.
---
Oda break tracker 2014- 4 (3)
#27AlexKidd5000Posted 6/13/2014 6:44:33 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...

Because it's the most popular. Steam games were running better in Manjaro a year ago, than they were in Ubuntu.
#28SinisterSlayPosted 6/13/2014 6:46:40 AM
AlexKidd5000 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...

Because it's the most popular. Steam games were running better in Manjaro a year ago, than they were in Ubuntu.

My Mint install is getting pretty old, I might switch to Manjaro.
Does Manjaro use deb packages?
---
#29RelixedPosted 6/13/2014 6:47:07 AM
Majoras_pants posted...
There's almost no reason to ever use linux anymore.

This.
Unless you're software developer / need server stuff or something where Windows is pain in the ass, Unix systems are no better than Windows for the average user.
---
~Relix
#30godplaysSNESPosted 6/13/2014 6:51:26 AM
If one only wants a "basic" PC for checking the mail, writing some documents, or just browsing around, Linux is fine.
It's quite neat skipping the fee for Windows. And if you have an old PC, there might not even be drivers available for the latest Windows, whereas there are for Linux
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!