This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have always been a Windows user. Want to try Linux. Where to start?

#31AlexKidd5000Posted 6/13/2014 5:52:07 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...
And yes, it looks like they always have the latest beta.

Sweet, so why the hell did Valve start with Ubuntu?

Because it's the most popular. Steam games were running better in Manjaro a year ago, than they were in Ubuntu.

My Mint install is getting pretty old, I might switch to Manjaro.
Does Manjaro use deb packages?

Manjaro is based on Arch, so it dosen't use deb packages.
#32SinisterSlayPosted 6/13/2014 5:53:11 AM
AlexKidd5000 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...
And yes, it looks like they always have the latest beta.

Sweet, so why the hell did Valve start with Ubuntu?

Because it's the most popular. Steam games were running better in Manjaro a year ago, than they were in Ubuntu.

My Mint install is getting pretty old, I might switch to Manjaro.

Manjaro is based on Arch, so it dosen't use deb packages.

Ok, so have to grab out of repo downloads listed as arch?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#33BannedMomPosted 6/13/2014 5:53:31 AM
godplaysSNES posted...
If one only wants a "basic" PC for checking the mail, writing some documents, or just browsing around, Linux is fine.
It's quite neat skipping the fee for Windows. And if you have an old PC, there might not even be drivers available for the latest Windows, whereas there are for Linux

I think most people who skip the fee for Windows... use common sense and just DO THE EVIL DEED!
---
I5-4440 - Asrock H81M - Zotac 750Ti - CM N200 = Future Emulation and Gaming Build @ 1600 x 900
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.
#34ShubPosted 6/13/2014 5:53:40 AM
SinisterSlay posted...

Manjaro is based on Arch, which uses pacman, so generally speaking, no. You can get a .deb package to work, but it's not something you should do unless it's your only option, for whatever reason.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#35AlexKidd5000Posted 6/13/2014 5:56:00 AM
voldothegr8 posted...
SmoboHash posted...
Nothing you try to do on linux will work the first time. You'll constantly be googling how to fix errors or how to do basic things. Eventually you'll realize that whatever possible benefits there are are not worth the effort it takes and go back to Windows.

This so much. Linux is great if you want to setup and run a web server, but really isn't worth learning to the average user. Even the most user friendly distros have a pretty steep learning curve since you have to know commands no matter what.

Funny, I was doing google searches for problems with windows ALL the damn time. Linux...maybe one or two in the past year. Windows is MUCH more of a pain in the ass, but people don't realize it becuase they are so used to windows low quality, that they are oblivious to it.
#36SinisterSlayPosted 6/13/2014 5:56:15 AM
Shub posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

Manjaro is based on Arch, which uses pacman, so generally speaking, no. You can get a .deb package to work, but it's not something you should do unless it's your only option, for whatever reason.

I only ask so that I know what to look for when reading manuals and downloading stuff.
Just like in Mint, I know to check Ubuntu stuff as well as mint stuff.
Sounds like with Manj I can also check Arch stuff.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#37Orestes417Posted 6/13/2014 5:58:30 AM
Manjaro is most emphatically NOT Arch. It "borrows" from the Arch project's repos but the update schedule is different and attempting to mix the two could very well lead to nasty breakage.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#38AlexKidd5000Posted 6/13/2014 5:58:34 AM
Manjaro has it's own repo of stable packages (7014 packages), as well as access to Arch's user repo.
#39SinisterSlayPosted 6/13/2014 6:01:35 AM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
Manjaro is most emphatically NOT Arch. It "borrows" from the Arch project's repos but the update schedule is different and attempting to mix the two could very well lead to nasty breakage.

Good to know, thanks. Sounds a bit limiting but I'll still give it a try, especially if it can do the install inside windows thing that Mint does. If not then I'll find a USB live drive.
---
#40AlexKidd5000Posted 6/13/2014 6:01:24 AM
Orestes417 posted...

Yup, which is why you have to be careful when doing so. Arch has had some updates recently that would have borked the entire Manjaro userbase, luckily the Manjaro team tests all those updates before rolling them out, so no brakeages happen.