This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have always been a Windows user. Want to try Linux. Where to start?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Have always been a Windows user. Want to try Linux. Where to start?
1 year ago#41
It's worth mentioning that very bad things will likely happen to you if you stumble into the Arch forums and ask for Manjaro help as well. Well, any non-Arch distro really but especially the distros that use Arch as a springboard to attract the less technically minded.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
1 year ago#42
AlexKidd5000 posted...
voldothegr8 posted...
SmoboHash posted...
Nothing you try to do on linux will work the first time. You'll constantly be googling how to fix errors or how to do basic things. Eventually you'll realize that whatever possible benefits there are are not worth the effort it takes and go back to Windows.

This so much. Linux is great if you want to setup and run a web server, but really isn't worth learning to the average user. Even the most user friendly distros have a pretty steep learning curve since you have to know commands no matter what.

Funny, I was doing google searches for problems with windows ALL the damn time. Linux...maybe one or two in the past year. Windows is MUCH more of a pain in the ass, but people don't realize it becuase they are so used to windows low quality, that they are oblivious to it.

And you've clearly taken alot of time to learn and understand Linux. That's great and all, but my point still stands. To the average user, which you clearly are not, (in a good way) it's not worth learning. At all.

Windows, low quality or not, is where the vast majority of programs and games of the world are supported, and you don't need to know commands to install them either. So again, to the average user, Linux is a waste of time.
---
Oda break tracker 2014- 4 (3)
(edited 0 seconds ago)
1 year ago#43
And the "ZOMG I have to copy and past a line shorter than this sentence" school of thought is just as idiotic as it ever was. Seriously, do people not realize how insulting the implications of having their presumably otherwise functioning brains turn off entirely at the sight of text are?
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
1 year ago#44
Agree with prepare to google everything you want to do. World not built around it + first time inexperience makes just that.

I downloaded mint I think, put it on a usb stick. Very useful to have around as it had all functional drivers for internet,keyboard,etc, firefox and boots very fast and you don't run into issues with it as far as accessing old hard drives with permissions/etc.

Its very useful to keep around for no nonsense simplistics but if you want it to be the mainstay to game and put all your programs on its going to be a long time before comfort sets in and even then some stuff will eternally perplex you.
1 year ago#45
Orestes417 posted...
And the "ZOMG I have to copy and past a line shorter than this sentence" school of thought is just as idiotic as it ever was. Seriously, do people not realize how insulting the implications of having their presumably otherwise functioning brains turn off entirely at the sight of text are?

And this is one of the examples why the Linux crowd comes off as a bunch of smartasses.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
1 year ago#46
godplaysSNES posted...
And this is one of the examples why the Linux crowd comes off as a bunch of smartasses.

He's also 100% completely right.
1 year ago#47
godplaysSNES posted...
Orestes417 posted...

Yet it's no less true for it. Though frankly I'd feel the same regardless of whether I'd ever seen a *nix box or not. Ridiculous technophobia recognition is an OS agnostic skill.
---
1 year ago#48
Orestes417 posted...

How do you copy and paste from a browser if the browser won't open because you had to close the x-session to update your video drivers?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
1 year ago#49
Worknofun370 posted...
godplaysSNES posted...

He's also 100% completely right.

Don't know about the 100% part, really. Just the copy and paste part infers that one must google for the solutions/instructions.

Windows too is far from perfect. But IMO it's far more user friendly that you most often, for example, just have to double click on a file and then click next.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
(edited 0 seconds ago)
1 year ago#50
Best case, you fire up one of your half dozen internet enabled devices and use the google there. Or you toss the liveCD you presumably installed from into the drive and do your repairs from there, learning such valuable skills as how to chroot for maintenance on the way. or you become acquainted with my old pal eLinks.

Now tell me, how do you fix Windows if your driver borks your system to the point you can't get a graphical display? (and yes, it does happen from time to time)
---
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Have always been a Windows user. Want to try Linux. Where to start?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived