This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have always been a Windows user. Want to try Linux. Where to start?

#81SinisterSlayPosted 6/13/2014 11:00:02 AM(edited)
Worknofun370 posted...

man pages would like to have a word with you.

They'd like to have a word with everyone, unfortunately no one taught them how to speak English, so they only talk techno-babble.

Orestes417 posted...

Yeah and things like the FreeBSD handbook and the Arch and Gentoo wikis would like to put their foot in his ass.

Windows has handbooks and wikis as well, they are just as bad to read. Whats your point?

Shub posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
If you know the update you can use command line and msiexec to remove the update that caused the problem.

I thought about that but don't know what update that was and can't think of a way to find out. Although now that I'm typing this, perhaps I can figure it out by poking around the hated winsxs folder and sorting files by date...

That might work, also maybe the automatic system restore was labeled with the name of the update.
You might also check the windows folder, which leaves the uninstalls sitting in there.

Also, an old trick was to uninstall internet explorer, which forces a massive rollback.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#82Worknofun370Posted 6/13/2014 11:02:01 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
They'd like to have a word with everyone, unfortunately no one talk them how to speak English, so they only talk techno-babble.

I guess i'm special than? Sure i've read a few horrible man pages in my day, most are pretty easy to follow though.
#83Orestes417Posted 6/13/2014 11:02:48 AM
If you think the Arch wiki or the FreeBSD handbook are examples of bad documentation then I give up. You're beyond hope entirely.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#84SinisterSlayPosted 6/13/2014 11:02:55 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
They'd like to have a word with everyone, unfortunately no one taught them how to speak English, so they only talk techno-babble.

I guess i'm special than? Sure i've read a few horrible man pages in my day, most are pretty easy to follow though.

If I type man man, will it teach me about being a man?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#85SinisterSlayPosted 6/13/2014 11:05:04 AM
Orestes417 posted...
If you think the Arch wiki or the FreeBSD handbook are examples of bad documentation then I give up. You're beyond hope entirely.

Awe, do they have FreeBSD for dummies?
I'm pretty sure there is a Windows one.

What do you consider bad documentation?

I consider the documentation on how to install and enable ISA hardware on Linux very poorly done.

What do you consider good documentation?
---
#86Orestes417Posted 6/13/2014 11:10:08 AM
Good docs should be clear, concise, to the point and most importantly of all correct. You want to see good documentation personified go look at anything that the OpenBSD guys have ever done.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#87PraetorXynPosted 6/13/2014 11:12:16 AM
If you're serious about trying it go with Arch. You'll learn how everything works just by installing it and doing basic configuration. It's daunting when you're used to GUI installers but I can whip through a fresh install in about 30 minutes now and I get my own custom distribution with the things I chose to put on it. You're a lot better off after working through it the first couple of times.

If you want something easier try Manjaro which is an Arch derivative.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#88SinisterSlayPosted 6/13/2014 11:14:24 AM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
Good docs should be clear, concise, to the point and most importantly of all correct. You want to see good documentation personified go look at anything that the OpenBSD guys have ever done.

Probably won't work if I just google "good openbsd documentation".

So, how about installing a printer driver? I have yet to have any printer (tried lexmark, cannon and HP) actually work on Linux properly. So say I wanted to get my old Cannon BJC4300 working. What should I do, point me at this great documentation and lets see if I can follow it.
-Edit
Forgot to mention, it uses a serial plug.
---
#89Worknofun370Posted 6/13/2014 11:34:12 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
So, how about installing a printer driver? I have yet to have any printer (tried lexmark, cannon and HP) actually work on Linux properly. So say I wanted to get my old Cannon BJC4300 working. What should I do, point me at this great documentation and lets see if I can follow it.

1.) Install CUPS
2.) Plug-in printer
3.) Print
4.) ????
5.) Profit.
#90SinisterSlayPosted 6/13/2014 11:36:17 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

1.) Install CUPS
2.) Plug-in printer
3.) Print
4.) ????
5.) Profit.

Did that, didn't work, serial port had it stumped. Eventually I got it to recognize that but then, it could only access the properties before the x session crashed, and it couldn't print, only test pages.
---