This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have always been a Windows user. Want to try Linux. Where to start?

#91Worknofun370Posted 6/13/2014 11:38:02 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Did that, didn't work, serial port had it stumped.

Sure you don't mean parallel port? (I mean... I guess there may be printer that uses serial and i'm just naive)
#92SinisterSlayPosted 6/13/2014 11:38:28 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Did that, didn't work, serial port had it stumped.

Sure you don't mean parallel port? (I mean... I guess there may be printer that uses serial and i'm just naive)

Sorry I am using the name interchangeably.
LPT1
:D
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#93Worknofun370Posted 6/13/2014 11:39:29 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
LPT1

No worries :)

Anyways: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS
#94Orestes417Posted 6/13/2014 11:50:43 AM
You will of course have to adjust that for your distro. And it's possible your printer isn't your actual issue.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#95SinisterSlayPosted 6/13/2014 11:53:53 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
LPT1

No worries :)

Anyways: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS

Ok, so far it's not bad, you'd need some familiarity with the system to follow this. I wouldn't give this to my mother to follow.

Then add your CUPS server's IP address or hostname into /etc/cups/client.conf, after ServerName. That is all you need. Every application should quickly find the printer(s) shared by that CUPS server.

I am guessing this means to navigate to that file, open it, find something called "servername" and type an address into it.
That's nice but, what ip or hostname? Host name is me? It doesn't say.
And what's it look like afterwards,
servername=hostname?

servername hostname?

servername
hostname
?

The driver section is interesting, but doesn't say how to use it.

We're going for cannon, so this sounds like what I need.
Here are some of the driver packages. Choosing the right driver depends on the printer. Some of the package names are misleading because printers of other makes may rely on them.
gutenprint - A collection of high quality drivers for Canon, Epson, Lexmark, Sony, Olympus, and PCL printers for use with GhostScript, CUPS, Foomatic, and the GIMP

But I don't see an explanation on how to use it.

But whatever, moving on.
It has using the parallel port that I must do this.

To use a parallel port printer, you will need to load the lp, parport and parport_pc kernel modules.
How do you load kernel modules?
Well, kernel modules is clickable, and takes me here.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_modules#Loading
^^^that one is actually not too bad.

Ok moving on.
Configuring the printer (I guess the assumption is it works now?)

I'm not sure what it's trying to tell me here honestly.
It says I need a service and a web interface?
Does this mean I can't print yet?

So as far as documentation goes, not terrible, but it still needs a lot of prior knowledge. It's definitely not a beginners guide.
Obviously it's better than windows but I don't think anyone was arguing Windows was better. But I don't think someone that has never done linux administration could follow this.

And that's fair, just like I wouldn't expect a non programmer to understand the MSDN references.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#96HappyHippo04Posted 6/13/2014 12:36:34 PM
The only true advantage to Linux is almost near unlimited customization and control and security. Some people prefer complete freedom, but it isn't for everyone, especially the lazy.
---
PC | Wii U | 3DSXL | Vita
FC: 4639-9367-1408
#97SneakiestNegPosted 6/13/2014 12:40:46 PM
Yep HappyHippo. Some people still use Chrome. Who needs adblock anyway, right? Seriously Google is almost as bad as MS ever was. But people think they will save them from the cable companies. I'll take freedom.
#98HappyHippo04Posted 6/13/2014 12:52:10 PM
SneakiestNeg posted...
Yep HappyHippo. Some people still use Chrome. Who needs adblock anyway, right? Seriously Google is almost as bad as MS ever was. But people think they will save them from the cable companies. I'll take freedom.

Is AdBlock blocked on chrome or something now? It seems work on my chrome last time I checked.
---
PC | Wii U | 3DSXL | Vita
FC: 4639-9367-1408
#99MarikhenPosted 6/13/2014 1:16:43 PM
HappyHippo04 posted...
SneakiestNeg posted...

Is AdBlock blocked on chrome or something now? It seems work on my chrome last time I checked.

I've noticed a few people commenting on AdBlock not working properly with YouTube while using Chrome. Then again YouTube hasn't been working properly for months now what with it not even bothering to pay attention to your playback settings and ignoring you when you disable annotations. Of course that in and of itself is rather anticlimactic given that for a couple years now YouTube has been constantly resetting annotations and CC to checked/on, even without the user deleting cookies, clearing caches, or closing the browser.

Of course just to further make it a WTF moment for many users you can put in an AdBlock filter to disable/block the aforementioned annotations until YouTube realizes that their users hate being lied to on a per-video(-with-annotations) basis. :-/

Any rate, yeah, Chrome has AdBlock, but it seems to have a few issues for some users which might just be total coincidence given that most of those issues I've read on involved YouTube which in and of itself is "having issues."

I'm sure there's probably more out there than just that, however. I don't really keep tabs on Chrome as I don't use it. I prefer browsers that actually block popups when you set the built-in blocker to block all pop-ups, don't require 30 .exe instances for 3 tabs, and don't leave half a dozen .exe instances open after you (think you) shut the browser down. /shrugs.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#100pwnater777Posted 6/13/2014 1:20:22 PM
I've never understood how people just decide to switch operating systems like this. Is it really that easy? Do y'all just have discs with the OS on them? What gives?

Sorry, this PC I'm using just has Windows 7 and it was set up before I really knew anything about computers. Help a PC noob out.
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe