This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tactical PC games

#1brantankPosted 6/10/2014 2:41:45 PM
Looking for a game on the PC that resembles the DS's fire emblem, luminous arc, and bleach the 3rd phantom.
#2Jprime666Posted 6/10/2014 2:48:59 PM
Play the GBA Fire Emblems, they were the best ones anyway.

Anyway, try XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
---
Fragrance of Dark Coffee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMnrl0tmd3k
#3BogePosted 6/10/2014 4:15:26 PM
Fallout Tactics, Jagged Alliance 2, Xcom: Enemy Unknown, Silent Storm, Banner Saga, and how about Shining Force??

Jagged Alliance 2 is my favorite. It's much more tactical and deep than Fire Emblem. It's almost a different genre. Many call it squad based tactical strategy.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#4codyorrPosted 6/10/2014 4:47:03 PM
Boge posted...
Fallout Tactics, Jagged Alliance 2, Xcom: Enemy Unknown, Silent Storm, Banner Saga, and how about Shining Force??

Jagged Alliance 2 is my favorite. It's much more tactical and deep than Fire Emblem. It's almost a different genre. Many call it squad based tactical strategy.

I only have Fallout Tactics out of this list but I've heard all this before. I was just going to post Fallout Tactics.
#5xicidisPosted 6/10/2014 5:12:30 PM
X-Com: Enemy Within (Enemy Unknown + Within DLC) is REALLY good.
#6PraetorXynPosted 6/10/2014 5:14:25 PM
Alpha Centauri
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#7Lemur_HPosted 6/10/2014 5:15:05 PM
Another vote for XCOM.
#8MarikhenPosted 6/10/2014 11:11:57 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
Alpha Centauri

While the combat in that game can have tactical elements when it's labeled turn-based strategy it's done so for a reason.

___

As for other games... You could make a case for many "PC-style RPGs" like the old Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games being TRPGs of a sort. Blackguards is likewise of similar play style, and from what little I've played of it it's not too bad. Games like the Avadon, Eschalon, and Geneforge series might also fit the bill for small-scale tactical turn-based combat.

There are also two Agarest: Generations of War games (also available via Steam), but I don't know too much about them except the obvious stuff. Generations of War has a MetaCritic score of 45, retails for $15, and has nearly $100 in paid DLC listed on Steam. Generations of War Zero is a precursor story, is unscored so far, and only has $15 in paid for DLC in addition to its $20 price tag. I've played a little of the first game (release date, not story line), but I don't recall very much at all of it except to say that it's an Idea Factory TRPG. They've published several titles that are all generally classifiable as TRPGs, are somewhat different from mainstream TRPGs, and are all fairly generic appearing amongst one another (not TRPGs as a whole). They might be worth a shot if you really what a TRPG(J) fix, but... /shrugs.

If you're interested at all in games with a sci-fi bent Star Hammer Tactics might be worth looking into. Haven't played that one either, but brief glances at videos on it establish it as turn-based combat in a sci-fi/spaceship environment.

As far as Shining Force goes, both games are available via Steam for $3 apiece, and if you don't mind "old school" RPGs you can pick up the related Shining in the Darkness for the same price as well.

Frankly, outside of "PC-style RPGs," which is to say "early western RPG style," I can't really think of a lot of PC games that are even remotely like the various TRPGs released in/from Japan.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#9pwnater777Posted 6/10/2014 11:16:32 PM
Shoot, only thing tactical I can think of is Takedown: Red Sabre!

No? Ah, darn. Maybe you should play ArmA Tactics instead. You can probably find it for cheap online, and it's pretty solid, despite being a port from mobile. This, of course, is just my opinion.
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#10chandl34Posted 6/10/2014 11:30:22 PM
I really enjoyed the new indie game Expeditions: Conquistador.
---
... even on Earth Mode.