This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I for one will NOT be buying the new Rainbow Six game, and here's why you care

#21NeninaPosted 6/10/2014 6:33:35 PM(edited)
But that is the male fantasy. If anything, the game should be labeled: "male wet dream" so that everyone will know who the game is aimed at.
#22Orestes417Posted 6/10/2014 6:34:02 PM
So should we start in on you for propagating the stereotype that it's a male fantasy and thus precluding the possibility of women with rescuer fantasies?
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#23TiamatKillerPosted 6/10/2014 6:36:11 PM
That just seems like an overreaction.

1) There is a woman playing on the rescuing team, in a position of power, trying to save a PERSON who is being held hostage.

2) Have we come to the point where a woman can't be taken as hostage or put in a situation of vulnerability without being called misogynistic or biased?

3) The map stated "Boston Suburb." I would think that in a suburb, a woman has the potential to be taken hostage while the man would be killed, but that's just me. Either way, it was a demo so we don't know whether or not there will be all kinds of people who will be taken 'hostage' in the game.

"Women should not be the goal of a match, a thing that two teams are striving to possess. Just writing out exactly what transpired sounds so incredibly dirty and wrong. She is a woman, a person just like any other, and should be treated like an independent being capable of more than crying desperately and waiting to be saved."----What does the author here expect this lady to do? She has 5 heavily armed assailants who have tied her hands. She obviously knows that people are coming to save her. I would also say that this is a very stressful situation, and I sure as hell would be crying also. Again, there very well could be (and most likely are) male hostages as well, they just weren't shown in the demo (which shouldn't necessarily be interpreted as a message, either).

This author is just ridiculous. He even laments how the woman only 'follows the nearest person.' Well, that DOES baffle me. Why don't we just have that woman be freed, grab a gun off the nearest dead body, and start charging through with her saviors to kill the intruders. It's not like the setting was in the Boston suburbs...aren't all suburban moms trained in small-group, tactical warfare? It's not because it's a female hostage that the representation is a helpless person, it's the very situation itself. You can put anyone in that situation, barring former military, and they'll be helpless.
---
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ | GTX 560Ti (2GB) @930MHz | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Samsung 840 (250GB) | 1TB Seagate 7200rpm | 8GB RAM | Zalman 9900 MAX | CoolerMaster HAF 912
#24snesmaster40Posted 6/10/2014 6:45:18 PM
Me and others watching the stream were very confused when the SWAT team member decides to use the hostage as a human shield. Pretty funny stuff Ubisoft.
---
Are we not men?
#25That1GuyyPosted 6/10/2014 6:48:00 PM
Are people really discussing this?

Rainbow six games have always had hostages of both genders, and maps always randomly selected which hostages to use.
Every FPS game ever made with a hostage mode randomly selects which hostages to use of out several models.
There's a time and place for discussing sexism in games, but some guy trying to get free clicks with sensational trash isn't it.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#26NeninaPosted 6/10/2014 6:52:06 PM(edited)
No, I don't accept that because you are putting words in my mouth. Sorry if I offended you, and I shouldn't have endorsed this trend by not taking it seriously. But this topic is bait and has no intent to start a movement. When this trend bothers enough people they can get a politician on their side to introduce a bill that mitigates this kind of objectification in games and maybe movies. That's IF it doesn't get pigeon-holed immediately. But this topic ain't gonna do it.
#27calcyclePosted 6/10/2014 7:02:39 PM
TiamatKiller posted...
T"Women should not be the goal of a match, a thing that two teams are striving to possess. Just writing out exactly what transpired sounds so incredibly dirty and wrong. She is a woman, a person just like any other, and should be treated like an independent being capable of more than crying desperately and waiting to be saved."----What does the author here expect this lady to do? She has 5 heavily armed assailants who have tied her hands. She obviously knows that people are coming to save her. I would also say that this is a very stressful situation, and I sure as hell would be crying also. Again, there very well could be (and most likely are) male hostages as well, they just weren't shown in the demo (which shouldn't necessarily be interpreted as a message, either).

This author is just ridiculous. He even laments how the woman only 'follows the nearest person.' Well, that DOES baffle me. Why don't we just have that woman be freed, grab a gun off the nearest dead body, and start charging through with her saviors to kill the intruders. It's not like the setting was in the Boston suburbs...aren't all suburban moms trained in small-group, tactical warfare? It's not because it's a female hostage that the representation is a helpless person, it's the very situation itself. You can put anyone in that situation, barring former military, and they'll be helpless.

Yeah, I don't think the special forces would ever give an untrained civilian a gun in this kind of situation, male or female. They want them to get out as soon as possible, not kill the captors.
---
Do not add to the Chocolate of Coach, or worship false Bills for this will imprison thou within the Blood Harvest finale for all eternity
#28ShadowThaReaperPosted 6/10/2014 7:04:56 PM
Gynthaeres posted...
Just because it's "nothing new" doesn't mean it's okay. This has indeed been a problem in games for a long, long time, where "rescue the helpless woman" is all the plot the game has, playing into an annoying and uncreative male power fantasy. We're at a point where we really should be past that, in games and in general.

It is okay.

It is not a problem.

Calling something problematic doesn't make it so. Deal with it.
#29DiviDudePosted 6/10/2014 7:09:14 PM
Well, that was a stupid article.
#30jake-sfPosted 6/10/2014 7:11:24 PM(edited)
You want to know what the problem with society is?

The fact that those things should mean nothing to a properly raised and educated child.

The fact that people blame this kind of stuff thats teaching "kids" the wrong things or forcing the wrong mentality upon them just means we're blaming the poor methods so many have at teaching their children right from wrong.

There's a thousand things in this world that makes me say "I don't want my kids to get the wrong impression". Thats why you teach them right from wrongs.

Everything starts from how we teach the basics to the kids. Trying to stop the unstoppable (bad influence) is the stupidest thing on Earth and trying to diminish something because it shows something diminutive or insulting is telling us you don't want the world to be smart and be able to distinguish things. You want people to be shown nothing wrong, and to see nothing bad.

Thats not life, its just stupid. Life is full of bad influences, the worst will never be out of our lives, and dealing with them is life.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/